Found peace...finally.

XdrumstiX

Hello fellow drummers! I've been a member for here for ever, but I hardly ever post... Here's my deal. I'm a local drummer in the DC region. In this area, go-go music (percussion driven funk, hip-hop, for lack of a better description for those who don't know...Chuck Brown, Rare Essence, Backyard Band, etc..) is the dominate force here. I was raised on go-go music and tried to fit in for years, but I discovered that I'm just not good at it.

So I've been playing in a Corporate / Agency band in for the past few years, playing rock, funk, swing, motown etc.. and I must admit, some of the stuff that I had to play was corny to me at first, but I'm good at it and the band is hot right now. On a good month, I can pay my mortgage from playing the drums (aside from my day job)! Now, that's a gig. Sometimes, it would nice to be recognized by my peers around town, but I guess I'll have to substitute that for a regular lucretive gig...I can live with that.

I said all that to say, that I have finally found peace within my own ability, and stick to what works for me! Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Hello fellow drummers! I've been a member for here for ever, but I hardly ever post... Here's my deal. I'm a local drummer in the DC region. ...... that I have finally found peace within my own ability, and stick to what works for me! ....

"...... that I have finally found peace within my own ability, and stick to what works for me! ..."

You have found the "Holy Grail" of drumming --- so many people are still looking!

Congratulations! You've obviously been suffering from self esteem & perceived peer pressure for some time. The money earning thing is great, it really is, but you're using that as a justification for doing something that, in your mind, is of lesser artistic merit. You need to drop that thought IMO, and simply accept that you're damn good at what you do, and be proud of that in it's own right.

You start by saying you rarely post here. I hope that's not because you believe that your stuff isn't vouge enough to warrant putting out there. Just because your chosen material isn't cutting edge stuff, doesn't mean it isn't good, or have value. You're a performer, an entertainer, a regular gigging musician. That's a position that most so called relevant players will never achieve. Great that you've eventually seen value in your performances, now let's see you here a bit more often!

So I've been playing in a Corporate / Agency band in for the past few years, playing rock, funk, swing, motown etc.. and I must admit, some of the stuff that I had to play was corny to me at first, but I'm good at it and the band is hot right now. On a good month, I can pay my mortgage from playing the drums (aside from my day job)! Now, that's a gig. Sometimes, it would nice to be recognized by my peers around town, but I guess I'll have to substitute that for a regular lucretive gig...I can live with that.

I said all that to say, that I have finally found peace within my own ability, and stick to what works for me! Has anyone else had a similar situation?

G'day Mate,
I can relate to what you had to say, I have been an active drummer since early 1970, yeah that's 40 years, I have played with dance bands all that time, some country, some what was known here as 50/50 dance bands, thats rock & old time, ie, waltzes & the like, & a Rock & roll band, in the early 90's we were playing, on average 90 gigs a year.
The last few years it has slowed down, mainly because of the local clubs changing their attitude to live music.
In the last year I have finally got around to learning some rudiments, I don't know how I managed to get so much work, without them, I guess I was a natural, I dunno.
People have said to me, that I can play really well, but I still think I suck.
I just learned to listen, & be able to play what I heard, on the radio, recordings or TV.
So well done to you, keep up the good work, no matter what music you play, If they pay you, then you have made it.

Back