cymbal bag

moojii

hi y'all

i am on the look out for a new cymbal bag, not sure what to get.

hard or soft??

which do you guys use...links would be helpful.

btw i am in uk

cheers dudes

i use a Zildjian back pack soft bag.

it has dividers to stop scratching, it has back pack straps so it frees up my hands to carry drums.

i used to use a hard case but it is just to much work at 1:00 am after the gig

Ive got a sabian padded soft bag with the separate pocket for the hats, they are lined and seem to protect quite well but I do carry my cymbals with me in the vehicle with the guys guitars and not in the trailer with the rest of the gear.

Last edited:
I have two cases, one for leaving unused cymbals in at home, another really nice one with dividers and a hats pouch for taking to gigs.

I've only once ever dropped a cymbal and I tend to not let people carry my cymbal bag, but I do agree with DMC - if you can afford a hard case (like the Zildjian Cymbal Safe), that's the very best bet.

I don't get drunk t gigs, if your drunk loading out you sure as heck should not be driving home.

i have never in over 30 years of gigging dropped my gear.

they both have advantages and disadvantages

hard cases offer better protection but are more time consuming and a little more of a hassle to cary.

soft bags offer less protection but i find them faster to use and easier to carry

i use hard cases for long term storage and soft for gigging

A buddy of mine always used a padded bag similar to mine and he ended up in a semi pro band for a while and had roadies that handled most of the lugging instead of him so he just bought one of the SKB cymbal cases without the center post and just put the whole bag inside the case, soft padded bag as well as the added protection of a molded case and still quicker than using a case with the center post, a win win win situation...lol

I use King Kong Kases for my cymbals...and yes, I have dropped them.

F

I think the hard cases are a brilliant idea, especially if other people are moving the stuff around for you. But for me, it's the solid leather Reunion Blues padded cymbal bag. I hated it when it was new because the leather hadn't broken in, but 20 years later, it's great. It's like a baseball glove. Very much worth the investment.

I have both, hard case and soft bag, both from Zildjian, all cymbals in the hard case exept the hi-hats which go in the soft bag. :)

I'm using a cheap (I thing it's Stagg) soft bag. Does the job so far.
Holds my entire kit: 20" ride, 18" china, 16" crash, 18" crash in the main bag area, there is padding between all of them, 13" hi hat top and bottom (with dividers) and 10" and 6" splashes (still each divided) on the frontal pocket.

I carry the cymbals myself at every gig. Still never dropped it.
I'm just worried when I lay it flat and load the car. I normally try to never put stuff on top of it... but I don't always succeed.

The largest cymbal is the 20" ride, a K series that is pretty seriously tick and acts like a "protection" for all the other ones.

My only fear is that the shoulder strap will break sooner or later... so I try to always carry it by the handles. Safer.

I have a Reunion Blues cymbal bag and I would categorize it as a semi-soft since it is a bit more rigid than some of the soft bags I have seen. Reunion Blues make pro quality bags. Check them out!

GJS

Go with hard case !
I'd never let my set travel without a safe protection...
I use this and never get any damage.
Great product !

I have Ludwig SPS cases for my cymbals and drums. They are kind of a hybrid between hard cases and soft and they're lined. I suppose they aren't nearly as cool if you don't play Ludwigs, but they're the nicest cases I've owned.

The Ludwig SPS is one on one copy of the GEWA SPS (wich are even cheaper most of the time)
gewa2.JPG

I had SPS bags (complete set) and it was wonderful but a bit heavy.

For plane traveling only I would get a Hardcase again (had both a standard 22'' swell as the 24'' with wheels)
165185.jpg

Now I have a Protection Racket Rucksack Deluxe (and a complete kit and percussion bag set) Handy to take on the bike, rugged, well protection, soft and enough space for other stuff too.
ProtectionRacket-Rucksack-24Zoll.jpg

Also the Ahead Armor bag/cases are really nice (but also heavy too :p )
AheadArmorCases_cymbal-silo-spread.png

Reunion Blues for me all the way. Obviously many other decent choices exist as well.

Back