Let's Talk Snare Drums

What's everyone's opinion on the Pearl Chad Smith signature snare?

I've had mine for 3 years and got it for $125 on sale. I absolutely love it for playing rock and metal. I have a Evans ST dry on it cranked down pretty tight and it has an amazing amount of volume, (seriously loud) and a great crack to it. It's everything I want in a rock snare and the natural ring to it isn't overwhelming. I've never had an issue with it and it's very friendly to almost any tuning you want.

Pearl-Chad-Smith-Signature.jpg

Yes, I own my Dad's drums. One, is a 1926 Ludwig Super. Last year I installed a p-86 on it.
I also have his 1968 Supraphonic.

I think I am spoiled as far as snare sound goes. I'm sure I would love the sound of a Black Beauty. But I'm not sure it would sound $700 better than the snare drums I have now.

Actually I would like to find a wood snare drum that I like the sound of.

My super:

Img_8881-vi.jpg

z5-vi.jpg

My Supra:

Img_8869-vi.jpg

Nice snares Jim, noticing the centre bead on the vintage drums is larger than the newer drums as well.Visually they look stronger and most likely sonically as well.

Yes, I own my Dad's drums. One, is a 1926 Ludwig Super. Last year I installed a p-86 on it.
I also have his 1968 Supraphonic.

I think I am spoiled as far as snare sound goes. I'm sure I would love the sound of a Black Beauty. But I'm not sure it would sound $700 better than the snare drums I have now.

Actually I would like to find a wood snare drum that I like the sound of.

My super:

Img_8881-vi.jpg

z5-vi.jpg

My Supra:

Img_8869-vi.jpg

Jim,just a point of information.Your drums model is Super Ludwig,not Ludwig Super.Trust me.:)

Steve B

Bad

I am going to get slaughtered here but I have never played a metal cymbal that I like. The metallic sounding resonance bugs me.

"metal" snares used to accompany el cheopo drum kits in the past (in australia anyway) and as such I have that association etched into my mind.

Indeed such is my prejudice I would never touch, or buy an acrolite. The almost evangelical love for luddies in general and acrolites in particular that permeates this forum drives me mad !! Irrational YES exept that Acrolites here are quite expensive, and when I have listened to them played...yes that irritating metallic clang is still there !!

Sorry All !!

I have a range of wood snares of various sizes, wood type and construction.
All bar the snare that came with my first (beginners) kit are on rotation according to the types of cymbals / toms / mood I am in.

Those snares are

1/ Tama 14 x 6.5 Maple and
Brady 12x 7 Jarrah Ply
both these drums are very versatile in tuning ranges and "playability" The Brady is my regular "go to" snare... its easily my favourite.

2/ Metro 14x 5.5 Spotted Gum and
Metro 14x5 Jarrah Stave

both are very "bright" sounding with a short sharp attack. They both have a "preference" for high tuning, especially the Jarrah stave.

I am still learning how to get the best out of them.

Depending on cost / availability I would love to "try" a 14 x 8 birch or maple to get a feel for the impact the extra depth makes.

... acrolite.....

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Acros aren't cheap there so you have convinced yourself that you don't like them. Same thing I have done with Dunnett and Joyful Noise products. I bet they're great sounding and very well constructed drums but I will never buy one new because I am just too cheap.

With the Acro I had the opposite effect. After reading all this blather about how great a snare it was and how everyone loved it I gave it 3 tries. I finally got one tuned to how I like it. Between all the parts, including the new P-86 and buttplate I bought, I probably have less than $100 into this snare. I wouldn't like it for the price of a new one but for what I paid it is a pretty good sounding snare.

Hi guys , can anyone tell me information about " Pixies - where is my mind " songs snare drum? i really like the tone.

I have no preference for either wood or metal snare drums, but i'm not that keen on Aluminium.. look at this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason we all play Acros is because they give the best bang for your buck. I love aluminum snare drums myself. I own two and a BoB. I used to have a Ddrum maple, but didn't like it as much.

Having both of these Ludwig's can cover a lot of ground musically. And purchased together they still cost less than some high end metal snares out there today...

Attachments

• _DSC0114%20copy_edited-2.jpg
    _DSC0114%20copy_edited-2.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 319
I've played a lot of snares in my time.. one thing that always surprizes me is the mythical qualities given to the Supraphonics. I played a 5 1/4x14" Supra in high school in a variety of bands.. and it struck me as a good snare but nothing special. At the time the Rogers Dynasonic was deemed to be superior.. and I actually did prefer the Dyna over the Supra. Maybe I'm missing something.. I went to a cottage / jam party a few years ago and a pro drummer showed up with his 'baby' which was a vintage Supra.. it was good - I remembered the wide-open metal sound he got out of it.. but I wasn't blown away by it.

Currently my 2 go-to snares are :
- a Tempus fiberglass 14 x6 1/4
- a Black Panther Premium Maple 13 x 6 1/4.
- and sometimes an auxilliary Yamaha RC piccolo 14 x 3 1/2 off to the left of my HH.

I still have a 14x6 1/4 Rogers Dynasonic but I don't use it, as I prefer the sound of wood. Some of the best snares I've played have been custom built wood .. and I don't remember the names.. but I've been thinking of selling some of my snares and getting a top of the line 14x6 1/4" wood snare.. maybe DW or...?

I agree completely Moxman. I have a 6.5 Leedy COB that sounds better than any Ludwig snare that I have ever heard. I also have a Tempus that I haven't quite fallen in love with but it is growing on me.

The best sounding Ludwig I have ever heard is a 5" Supra that my teacher plays. A real old school cat, plays his snare cranked to high Heaven and it sounds like a million bucks. Sounds EXACTLY like the snare sounds I heard in an old movie featuring Buddy Rich and a popular dancer of the time. Doesn't sound quite as good when I play it though so I suspect most of million is all him.

There is definitely something about Brass snares. i've got an 80's pearl 8x14 brass snare from some old kit that I've finally finished setting up. It's got about every aspect of dynamics and tone that one could want out of a snare--articulation, sensitivity, crack, dynamic range, sizzle, fat, vintage tone--it's going to be hard to beat that sound no matter what I try to do. hell, I'd probably take the pepsi challenge and match it against another of those old brass snares that sound killer.

those big, fat, old Tama and Ludwig brass snares could be set up to sound that good too.

I've played a lot of snares in my time.. one thing that always surprizes me is the mythical qualities given to the Supraphonics. I played a 5 1/4x14" Supra in high school in a variety of bands.. and it struck me as a good snare but nothing special. At the time the Rogers Dynasonic was deemed to be superior.. and I actually did prefer the Dyna over the Supra. Maybe I'm missing something.. I went to a cottage / jam party a few years ago and a pro drummer showed up with his 'baby' which was a vintage Supra.. it was good - I remembered the wide-open metal sound he got out of it.. but I wasn't blown away by it.

Currently my 2 go-to snares are :
- a Tempus fiberglass 14 x6 1/4
- a Black Panther Premium Maple 13 x 6 1/4.
- and sometimes an auxilliary Yamaha RC piccolo 14 x 3 1/2 off to the left of my HH.

I still have a 14x6 1/4 Rogers Dynasonic but I don't use it, as I prefer the sound of wood. Some of the best snares I've played have been custom built wood .. and I don't remember the names.. but I've been thinking of selling some of my snares and getting a top of the line 14x6 1/4" wood snare.. maybe DW or...?

Just a point of information.The Ludwig supraphonic and Rogers Dynasonic,...only came in 5x14 and 6 1/2 x 14,and were never made in 5 1/4 or 6 1/4 " depths.A 6 1/4 " snare,if you could find one,would be rare in metal or wood.

Steve B

Bad

I have never played a metal cymbal that I like.

Well me too, but I still play a metal snare and also wood both ply and staved, and to be truthful I have heard many metal snares that sounded absolutely fantastic.

My summation? It depends where your sitting. If you are only and ever sitting behind the kit it may sound crappy. Out in the audience is a totally different aural experience.

Holy old thread regeneration! I saw I had posted in this and clicked on it...2009! Still like my DW collectors and now a Yamaha Oak Custom added to the mix.

I am going to get slaughtered here but I have never played a metal snare that I like. The metallic sounding resonance bugs me.

You obviously haven't played many metal snare drums then. They don't all have a "metallic" resonance. Some wooden snares have more annoying overtones than many metal drums. Steel tends to be sharpest, followed by brass, then aluminum, then bronze (which is most "wood" like).

Just a point of information.The Ludwig supraphonic and Rogers Dynasonic,...only came in 5x14 and 6 1/2 x 14,and were never made in 5 1/4 or 6 1/4 " depths.A 6 1/4 " snare,if you could find one,would be rare in metal or wood.

Steve B

I can't even read those numbers without being confused! Whatever.. I have the 6 1/2 "deep Dyna COB and had the 5 " Supra. Like I said , I haven't played either in a long time.. So long I'd forgotten about the extra 1/4"!

Last edited:
Holy old thread regeneration! I saw I had posted in this and clicked on it...2009! Still like my DW collectors and now a Yamaha Oak Custom added to the mix.

How do you like the Oak Custom? I was looking at one the other day online for 250$.. it looks like it has a 14 x 7" deep shell and is in great shape. Worth taking a look at?

Back