First Gig Sunday..........

steve.b.

Hi All,
There must be an air of confidence or something floating around this forum lately with a few people finally deciding to put it out there, and have a go publicly.
Here's my story...... last minute (well 2 days before it started) while checking out a site i was given for a one day introduction to music theory, and finding out it was fully booked and 10 people on the list for drop outs, i also noticed that they were running a 6 week program for people interested in forming and performing with a band.
It started 5 weeks ago with 25 people in the venue, we were split into 5 bands had to come up with 30 min of material and rehearse on Sunday mornings for 3 hrs, leading up to a show on the last Sunday evening, which happens to be this Sunday!!!

Hoping for some words of advise from the seasoned among you and wishing everyone who has taken the plunge this year all the best.

Steve

Just play. I'm not a seasoned veteran in terms of professionalism, but I've been performing for 6+ years now, so I've a decent amount experience, especially for a young person.

Mistakes happen, and once they happen all the freaking out in the world and all the thinking about them won't make them go away. 99% of people don't notice, and the other 1% of people either acknowledge and accept them (because they're musicians too) or they're just losers who find ways to hate everything they do.

Either way, just keep playing. You're pretty prepared, and you just have to go play.

And more than anything HAVE FUN :D

-Zach

Hey, Steve, this is so totally cool to hear about!!! I'm one of those who's putting it out there too... kinda weird isn't it?

Sorry I don't have any words of advice for you except eyes and ears open and just keep time and play the groove.

Cheers and have a blast!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. My first experience a couple of weeks ago was certainly an interesting one. However, you seem to be in a better situation than I was so you'll do great, I'm sure. Either way...you'll learn a lot!

How exciting!

As a drumming virgin, I can't offer any specific advice, but I look forward to hearing how it went .

Enjoy yourself!

Don't panic if you drop a stick and keep extra sticks within EASY reach! Trust me on that one... LOL

Just play. I'm not a seasoned veteran in terms of professionalism, but I've been performing for 6+ years now, so I've a decent amount experience, especially for a young person.

Mistakes happen, and once they happen all the freaking out in the world and all the thinking about them won't make them go away. 99% of people don't notice, and the other 1% of people either acknowledge and accept them (because they're musicians too) or they're just losers who find ways to hate everything they do.

Absolutely true. Just keep calm and enjoy the gig!

By the way, that class sounds really great. I wish I could have that experience- team up with 4 other random like-minded individuals and just play some music.

Start the first two or three songs a bit slower than you normally would. That way, they'll be about right :) Don't play anything you haven't rehearsed. Avoid that big fill or showing off. Drink very little alcohol, but make sure you have a drink (preferably water) & a towel with you on stage. Have fun - the audience will notice that much more than any small mistake you might make. Bring a spare snare & bass drum pedal if possible, & a spare drum key.

Good luck :)

Echoing what others have said here but you've got to find a way to relax.

Soon as you relax, it's so much more enjoyable for you and the audience.

One thing I found relaxing was that audiences don't notice the little errors that may seem obvious to you, I've often been talking to either audience or band members after and mentioned a mistake and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

'Keep It Simple' has suggested bringing spares, something you should really do if you have the chance. My bass pedal broke once mid song, that was an awkward moment.

I've never gigged on drums, but I've been steadily gigging on guitar for close to seven years now.

The best thing I can say is to stay positive and don't take it too seriously. If you make a mistake, shake it off and keep going. It's when you hang yourself up on that one mistake that you start to make more mistakes. Just try your best to 'feel' the music, and you should be fine.

For the record, my first gig on drums is coming up on the 25th of this month. I'm pretty excited for it.

Eat a good, healthy, but light meal about an hour before the show. Like a salad or a sandwich, something along those lines. Fruit is good also. The food will give you some extra energy, and the time will let it digest so you don't feel sluggish or tired. Performing while hungry really disrupts the mind, as well as making it harder to play.

Glad to report all went well and i cant wait to do it again.:)
Bad news......the guy who was recording the gig got stuck in the traffic coming home from the festival of speed :(
Need to get to work see if anybody got any good footage.

Glad to report all went well and i cant wait to do it again.:)
Bad news......the guy who was recording the gig got stuck in the traffic coming home from the festival of speed :(
Need to get to work see if anybody got any good footage.

Congrats Steve..........It's a great feeling, isn't it?

That's brilliant - well done!

Back