Derrick Pope: Moeller - One Handed Roll - Heel Toe - DrumSet

Yes, those techniques are great, and you teach them really well, but for me the most inspirational part of the videos are the pictures hanging off your kit. Check the onehandrolls vid around the 11 minute mark.

Hi,

Could someone answer theses questions i have about the moeller technique and one hannded roll?

1. Whenever I try the Moeller Technique with my right or left hand (trad. for left), I can not seem to get the the continuous stroke. I just end up going 1e&, pause, 1&e, pause, etc.... No matter what I do there is always a little delay between each stroke/snap. Sometimes its more noticeable than other times. How do I go about fixing this (if there is any other answer beside practice)?

2. Is it possible to do the Moeller Technique with a total of 2 (eigths) or 4 (sixteenths) strokes instead of 3(triplets)?

I also have two questions about the one handed rolls.

1. I can play the Jo-Jo Mayer right hand one handed roll fine at a slow to moderate speed (sixteenths at 84 b.p.m). When I go any faster though (or sometimes even at that speed), the strokes start to sound uneven (instead of 1+2+3+4+ its more like 1 ah2 ah3 ah4....). I also find i can not move my wrist fast enough when going fast enough (maybe I'm doing something wrong technique wise)?

2. For the left hand Buddy Rich one handed rolls, do you apply pressure in the fulcrum to create or help the rebound or is the rebound only made moving the arm/wrist up and down. I find that by only bring my arm/wrist up and down my strokes becoming more off a buzz kind of roll instead an open/close kind of thing.

Thanks

skate4flip said:
Hi,

Could someone answer theses questions i have about the moeller technique and one hannded roll?

1. Whenever I try the Moeller Technique with my right or left hand (trad. for left), I can not seem to get the the continuous stroke. I just end up going 1e&, pause, 1&e, pause, etc.... No matter what I do there is always a little delay between each stroke/snap. Sometimes its more noticeable than other times. How do I go about fixing this (if there is any other answer beside practice)?
Slow down and make the whip motion smaller. Watch my moeller vid again and go to the part where i completely open up my left hand, practice that for awhile, should help the continuity.

skate4flip said:
2. Is it possible to do the Moeller Technique with a total of 2 (eigths) or 4 (sixteenths) strokes instead of 3(triplets)?
Absolutely. You can do as many as you want or as many as the music calls for, simply adjust the whip and rebound accordingly.

skate4flip said:
I also have two questions about the one handed rolls.

1. I can play the Jo-Jo Mayer right hand one handed roll fine at a slow to moderate speed (sixteenths at 84 b.p.m). When I go any faster though (or sometimes even at that speed), the strokes start to sound uneven (instead of 1+2+3+4+ its more like 1 ah2 ah3 ah4....). I also find i can not move my wrist fast enough when going fast enough (maybe I'm doing something wrong technique wise)?
It took me about 3 months to get the jojo-OC even at a faster speed. This is a motion that your hands are not used to doing, and they need to be trained. I would practice it on my steering wheel at red lights (I do not condone playing and driving.), whenever i could. Give it time, it will come.

skate4flip said:
2. For the left hand Buddy Rich one handed rolls, do you apply pressure in the fulcrum to create or help the rebound or is the rebound only made moving the arm/wrist up and down. I find that by only bring my arm/wrist up and down my strokes becoming more off a buzz kind of roll instead an open/close kind of thing.
There is a small squeeze with the thumb on top, this is the "catch". Try to avoid using any arm on this one.

Hope this helps a bit
Derrick

Hello everyone in Drumland!

The videos I have made and put online have been met with a staggering response and it's still a bit overwhelming. However, the videos do take a LOT of time to stage, record, convert, and post online. I'm not going to require anyone to pay me anything, I made that promise to myself when I started this, but a DONATION would be greatly greatly appreciated! It will be put to good use in future videos and for my DVD. Any amount is greatly appreciated and I thank you ahead of time for any donation you can make.

Make a paypal donation to [email protected]
THANKS!!!
Derrick

Last edited:
I think I have the moeller working pretty well now, but it's hard to implement that in my playing. Are there any exercises or tips on that?

these vids have been a big influence to me, please Derrick could you make a vid on how to do that Buddy Rich stick trick with the clicking of the sticks, Buddy is my idol and its one of the things i havnt been able to work out.
Thanks aload your one of the best things to hit drummerworld,so informative
thanks again
gazz

Mini-Vid - Buddy Rich Stick Trick

Got WAY too many responses and requests for this one to pass it up. It's a short video, bout 4 and a half minutes.

Feedback is appreciated.

www.derrickpope.net/buddyrichsticktrick.wmv

Had a hard time converting this one to quicktime. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

Thanks
Derrick

Big_Philly said:
I think I have the moeller working pretty well now, but it's hard to implement that in my playing. Are there any exercises or tips on that?

Should have watched the #4 video before posting that... my apologies. Great stuff!!

JoJo's heel to toe method is great in theory, but not always in practice....

see, jojo looks to have about size 6 feet... i'm size 13 and it's IMPOSSIBLE to slide
my big old dogs up the pedal enough to have my heal anywhere near the part of the
pedal needed to pull it off.

My feets are just too big, and i suspect, most drummers feets are too (to pull off the
heal to toe method).

and about those having problems with the moeller/one handed roll... what cracked it open for me was when derrick said "push-pull" method.
see, if you do a "saw" motion with the stick,,, you'll get this motion/feel you need to cop the moeller and do a continuous one handed roll.

Balloon-Knot

Derrick,

I was one of those who asked if you could explain the Buddy Stick Trick. I checked out your video and then went to the park for lunch to practice. You cleared everything up and i had the trick going at a speed i could not believe. Amazing!!!

I am currently in a back to basic mode with my technique, i have been playing for over 28 years now. Your stuff is very refreshing and i wish it was around back when i started out.
I don't know if you teach or anything but those students are incredibly lucky as we are here at the forums. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

Derrick,
You have the "Best Videos" by far that explains the three techniques and how
to apply it in a "practical drum playing" without showboating(I know how to play
drums and you don't, ha-ha).

Cant wait to see the DVD

Derrick, as a new drummer, these videos are possibly some of the greatest things I've found on the internet, they just completely demystify all of these percussion "secrets" that people have been arguig about for decades. Truly remarkable~! That's no overstatement, neither~ I can sense you truly have a passion music, not for elitist douchebaggery and stuff like that, very down to earth. Dig it~!

another winner vid from the pope of drumming.
i actually invented my own matched grip version of the stick trick out of fustration with the fact that it seemed to me that onlt trad players would be able to the the BRST...but i reckon with a bit of practice i could combine them in weird combos. maybe i will make a vid and add it to my twirling stuff later.

nice on D

j

You are all way too kind.

I'm going through a very difficult and painful situation at the present time, but I look no further to my friends, and all my new drum buddies here, and I remember that if I keep my head on straight and keep doing what I do best, I'll be ok.

Pope of drumming, that rules. :)

Vid 5 and mini-vid 2 are coming soon to a drum forum near you.

When it hurts, make the skins sing.
Derrick

Hey Derrick,

First of all I'd like to say it's good to see the 412 representing on boards and websites like these (412 reffering the area code for the Pittsburgh area). I think it's is really important to note that there are many great teachers and performers in this area representing all realms of percussion that often are not seen or overlooked when they are because they are from Pittsburgh, not NY or LA. I think it's great that there are outlets for these people such as the web to be noticed and appreciated.

I've always been a fan of being a "real" person in educational settings, and I feel that you have accomplished this with you video series. I think that is the main reason for the overwhelming response you are getting. It is great to see so many people notice that aspect of your videos in addition to some great information. I'm sure that many people are also pleased with you approach to actually taking the time to break these techniques and practices down. As we all know there are two main types of clinics and videos: Ones that you watch to see the performer, and ones that you watch to learn something. I think many people are sometimes alientated by the amount of "showing off" in opposition to actually breaking down what the performer is doing that sometimes happens in clinic and video situations, which in turn make these videos really fun to watch.

Having known you for awhile also, I think it's important to mention some background in marching percussion. I know that this background has probably inspired you to approach things in a certain way. I also know that many primarily drumset players and concert percussionist place a certain stigma on the world of marching percussion (i.e. drumcorps, marchin gband, and indoor) of not being musical or valid technique wise as an approach capable of being applied to other areas of percussion. I think that your foundations in an educational philosphy which really looks at technique and musicality from the micro up really brings a lot to the table in a drumset application. So many times and you see it all over the web in artist videos, you see the ends of playing a solo and not the means by which the player got there. Which isn't alway a bad thing. I mean seeing people play great solos and grooving with a band is very inspirational, but on the other hand alot of time leaves people with a lot of questions. I commend you on your quest to demystify many of these things and bring a "down-to-earth" approach to them.

I also appriectiate the fact that you disclaim often that these are the ways you approach them and are not neccessarily the right way, not that there is a "right" way at all. I'd like to amend this a bit by giving my own little disclaimer in terms of these teachniques. Having taught for some time now, I get a lot of elementary students (4th-6th grade of so) who have studied with other teachers before me and come in to their first lessons trying to play these approaches. I think it's important to note for other teachers out there that many times these approaches aren't as applicable to the skills that an elementary student may need to be succesful at that age in their music programs at school and even on drumset. Let's face the facts that young players who are into playing drums and percussion shouldn't be turned off to other forms of percussion because they have learned a specific technique that in most instances have seen only applied to drumset. I think when teaching students at an early age it's important to instill a more general approach to technique that has multiple applications. I'm sorry if sounds like I'm ranting, but I've seen far too many 5th graders come to lessons trying to play some bastardized version of Moeller very badly I mind you without any sort of premise for which to do so.

I'm not saying that these teachniques shouldn't be taught. They have a level appropriateness that I think you have a done a great job in illustrating in your videos and posts. I use websites a lot in my teaching to help suppliment lessons. I think they are great tool for motivation and allow younger students to really experience the world of percussion.

Derrick, thanks for the videos, keep up the good work. I've known this guy for a while and I'm glad to see that you have found an outlet to share your talents and knowledge base. By the way, it's been a long time man, we should hang out sometime.

-Alan Fear

hi derrick! before i say anything i just want to thank you so much for your videos they really are the best i have found by a drum teacher! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was just wondering if you would like to make a double stroke video, I find your teaching the easiest to follow and understand and i think it would be great for the beginners here at dw and myself, its totally up to you mate if you can't do it thats fine, was just a thought!

YOUR AN AMAZING DRUMMER, THANK YOU!

djp132 said:
I'm going through a very difficult and painful situation at the present time, but I look no further to my friends, and all my new drum buddies here, and I remember that if I keep my head on straight and keep doing what I do best, I'll be ok.

I hope that everything works out fine for you!

Best regards,
Wolf

My good friend, tank you very mutch to show me how this very good and exciting technique functions. tank you soo mutch, now I´m hooked to study hard and try to incorporate this technique in to my playing.

cheers and all the luck in the world.

keep the groove burning ;)

Back