synth or something else to drum to?

rightfoot

I'm learning drumming and one thing I find is I get bored of repeating the same things. I want to get creative by having something to drum to, some sort of accompaniment.

I've been thinking of getting a basic sync where I could set up a beat or something interesting to drum to but since then, have been wondering if I should be looking at something else.

Thought I would ask here for some input.

Thanks.

Mike

That is what I would do ... or even maybe record yourself playing bass or guitar or something and jam to that.

I used to post ads online looking for bassists to jam with me, that was always a blast, and a great way to meet other cats in my town.

best of luck!!

I'm learning drumming and one thing I find is I get bored of repeating the same things. I want to get creative by having something to drum to, some sort of accompaniment.

I believe that the correct term for this concept is "a band".

Find some likeminded souls and have at it.

Six weeks after my first lesson I was the drummer in a garage band. I'm forty-several years old, don't consider myself to be absurdly talented and nothing leads me to believe that I have humility of the false or any other description, so if I can do it, anybody can do it. It's enormous fun and it's a great way to push yourself to learn acshil songs and learn to play with other musicians.

That's just it, I'm most certainly not at the point where I could play with anyone :).

That's why I was asking about what I could use to drum with. I know of everything else, DVD's, karaoke, etc but I'm looking for a synth or another device.

I use a keyboard, record loops or occasionally songs onto pc and play over them w/ electronic kit. Of course you could play through a PA or headphones, etc. You could do this with any instrument, of course.

Bass drum on 1 and 3.

Snare on 2 and 4.

Hi hat on 1-and-2-and-3-and-4.

There you go. You're now able to play along with most pop/rock songs. You won't sound like the guy on the original recording, but you can keep time. There's an awful lot that you can do just by playing variations of the above.

Honestly, throw caution to the wind.

Or, if you're determined to be a scaredy-pants and not play with humans, try here:
http://www.groovedrumming.com/download_audio_drumless.shtml

or look at www.karaoke-version.com which lets you create customised backing tracks.

Don't get a synth. Get a keyboard controller and use it with a recording program to play synth, piano, horns or whatever else is available with the program or App.

If you have a Mac, you already have Garage Band. All you need is a $50 controller.

Bass drum on 1 and 3.

Snare on 2 and 4.

Hi hat on 1-and-2-and-3-and-4.

There you go. You're now able to play along with most pop/rock songs. You won't sound like the guy on the original recording, but you can keep time. There's an awful lot that you can do just by playing variations of the above.

Honestly, throw caution to the wind.

Or, if you're determined to be a scaredy-pants and not play with humans, try here:
http://www.groovedrumming.com/download_audio_drumless.shtml

or look at www.karaoke-version.com which lets you create customised backing tracks.

Well, thanks for your input but as I've said more than once now... I am NOT ready to play with anyone, I would be wasting their time.

Don't get a synth. Get a keyboard controller and use it with a recording program to play synth, piano, horns or whatever else is available with the program or App.

If you have a Mac, you already have Garage Band. All you need is a $50 controller.

Actually, I have an old MAC3 that's been sitting on the shelf for years collecting dust. Still runs just fine.
So you're saying a keyboard controller would connect to the PC running a program which would in essence turn the keyboard into a synth. Never knew that. Thanks, I'll look into that as an option. I also have tons of standard PC hardware too.

So you're saying a keyboard controller would connect to the PC running a program which would in essence turn the keyboard into a synth.

Yep.

If it's an older Mac, you may have to buy the app. It's the best 5 bucks you will ever spend and the learning curve isn't too bad.

Yep.

If it's an older Mac, you may have to buy the app. It's the best 5 bucks you will ever spend and the learning curve isn't too bad.

So what program would you suggest? I'm not sure what it's running, it would be about 8 years old what ever is on there hehe. If that works out, then I can justify buying a new MAC if I enjoy it. This is a good way to try something first.

Thanks.

I believe that the correct term for this concept is "a band".

Find some likeminded souls and have at it.

Six weeks after my first lesson I was the drummer in a garage band. I'm forty-several years old, don't consider myself to be absurdly talented and nothing leads me to believe that I have humility of the false or any other description, so if I can do it, anybody can do it. It's enormous fun and it's a great way to push yourself to learn acshil songs and learn to play with other musicians.

I totally agree with that. There are millions of beginners out there. Just get together and suck at it, and you will find out -- at least I did -- that while the guitarist and the bassist need hours and hours to figure out what chord they're supposed to be on, you just nail the song after a couple tries and soon you'll be rehearsing alone with the female singer between band rehearsals because it's so much easier just the two of you and... nonono don't go there :)

So what program would you suggest? I'm not sure what it's running, it would be about 8 years old what ever is on there hehe. If that works out, then I can justify buying a new MAC if I enjoy it. This is a good way to try something first.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what year GB came out. Google will help you out :)

Garage Band is the reason I bought a Mac. I heard that it was developed by the Logic Pro people is IMO really good beginner level recording program/app. I spent a couple hundred dollars on Sonar for my PC and couldn't get past first base. With a little help, I got right into Garage Band.

Back