bass drum dilemma...

guys, i am trying to make a decision about which path to take between being a double or single bass player...in my mind, i like the idea of becoming great with single footwork, i think of jojo mayer at the modern drummer 2005...any thoughts or advice?

you could do both. that's what i do with my double pedal. most of the time i play with just the right pedal, but when i need the left pedal it's there.

Yeah, what he said. I'm of the same mindset, but it's nice to have a double pedal, as long as you don't rely on it solely to carry you through a song (ie, the never ending double bass). It's nice to rapid fire doubles and triplets when you please. Adds character to fills too, especially since most drummers forget to use the bass drum for them.

I agree. A few years ago, I went from using two bass drums (I'd been playing two bass drums since the early 80's) to single bass. But I miss it sometimes, so I'm considering going to a double pedal. I won't go back to two bass drums, just because of the pain it is to set up /tear down, transporting, the space it uses in tight space gigs, etc. But I miss being able to do things that you need double bass for.

Back