Your kit or a backline kit?

blastbeatkeeper

I know some(probably most) of you are going to say your kit, but is there anyone out there that doesnt mind playing on a house/backline kit? I had a gig over the weekend, where 10 bands were lined up to play, and minus the headlining band, everyone was made to play the backline house kit, which was a 5 piece Tama kit, not sure of the model. I had no problems with it at all, except my bass pedal response wasnt there, due to that I use a Danmar double click pad on my bass batter, and for some reason there was no reso side head. I did hear a few of the drummers complaining that they couldnt set up their kits, but I was rather relieved that I didnt have to lug my kit around, set up and tear down in the matter of minutes. What do you think?

Depends on your definition of "mind". I'm used to backline kits, and I've gotten pretty handy at adapting them to my style as much as possible and living with the limitations of them.

I definitely prefer my own kit, but that's mostly down to the setup. If I get a house kit I can adapt to where it's set up like my regular kit, I don't really mind that at all.

Backline kit every time. The dimensions are usually different than my kit, but it's a given that you don't want the sound guys to have to rearrange the stage/mics for one drummer. Every time I've used the backline kit, it's been a high-end Yamaha, or something comparable. I just bring my sticks, pedal, and cymbals (oh, and a drum key).

Yep, agree. Using the backline kit is always simpler. You can always bring your own snare and some cymbals if you really want your own sound, but often that's not necessary (assuming the backline kit is half-decent, which many are).

It's also a good way to try different gear! Over the years I have been very impressed with some of the hired backline kits and cymbals I have played on.

in most cases when playing Manhattan....or any big city for that matter.....there is no room to store your gear while other bands are playing let alone any other drummers gear as well....

and change over would be a nightmare in these places because they are generally packed to capacity....plus double parking and loading gear in the club then finding parking in the city is an F'n nightmare

so when playing in Manhattan I absolutely prefer house kit

just bring cymbals, snare, pedal, and Im good to go ......

anywhere else ....my kit

Depends on the coordination involved, and the particular gig.

Last night I played in a 25+ band gig where each artist plays 2 songs, and set changes are maybe 5 or 6 minutes (I played with 3 of the artists!) For playing just a couple of songs, I wouldn't insist on my own gear - it's just not worth the hassle even if it was an option. And I know the drummer, and he's got great gear. With the ton of players there, it was a real advantage for everyone involved to just walk in with sticks, and be abklwe to walk right out again.

The other half of this particular gig was that parking was at a minimum, as was any storage backstage. It would have been a logistics nightmare with more than one kit, and everyone would have been hating life. There's never a reason for aggravation on what should be a fun pursuit: playing drums.

But there are times when backline can be a scary word, as you rarely know exactly what you'll get, and how much work may be involved getting the kit configured comfortably and sounding good. Again, if it's just a song or two (such as a TV appearance) it can be tolerable, but for doing a whole show, an uncomfortable kit can really put a damper on the gig.

I've done more than a few gigs and some short tours where I used rented gear, and always would have preferred having my own gear. There was never a backline kit that made me think 'I wish I could keep these.'

Bermuda

It usually takes me longer to make another kit work for me than it would to just setup my kit where I know exactly what I need to do. I also feel bad about making adjustments on a kit that's not mine.

Sitting on a kit for a set where the setup is totally different from my playing setup is the pits though. None of your muscle memory is applicable, and you have to think harder about all your normal grooves, transitions and fills. I hate that. Weird tom angles or too-high placement get me every time.

Heck, I'll play on anything and make it work. My first gig ever I had to use a bass pedal held together with a piece of string. It only had a swing of about 3 inches. Made $16 that night from the tip jar!

It usually takes me longer to make another kit work for me than it would to just setup my kit where I know exactly what I need to do. I also feel bad about making adjustments on a kit that's not mine.

Sitting on a kit for a set where the setup is totally different from my playing setup is the pits though. None of your muscle memory is applicable, and you have to think harder about all your normal grooves, transitions and fills. I hate that. Weird tom angles or too-high placement get me every time.

Agree with this, I hate backline drums. I always try to play my own set. Sometimes it's just not worth it, like Bermuda said, hence the statement, I hate backline drums.
I can't think of one time where I liked a backline kit.

you guys must not live in big cities and places where they dont give you a choice at times....

and this whole ...takes me longer to get a house kit comfortable than to set up my own...

come on guys....we are drummers.....a tweak here a tweak there and play.....you should be able to adjust to any situation on the fly as a pro

I dont care if I walk into a club and there are 2 cardboard boxes and a trash can as a house kit......Im gonna kill it

I live in Smallbany, Ny, and on a handful of occasions do we play a show where we dont have a choice, hence the show Saturday....Only gear I brought were my throne, snare, hardware and cymbals. The kit stayed put.

And I thought being able to jump behind someone else's kit and play it with minimal tweaking here and there adds to personal diversity? I mean, I pride myself on being able to jump from a Pearl double bass Joey Jordison kit, to my vintage Sonor's over to a custom Trick 6 piece without having to make any adjustments at all....maybe im full of myself, but I like being able to do that...

i have a van so mine.
if i was playing in another country i'd have the van shipped

you guys must not live in big cities and places where they dont give you a choice at times....

and this whole ...takes me longer to get a house kit comfortable than to set up my own...

come on guys....we are drummers.....a tweak here a tweak there and play.....you should be able to adjust to any situation on the fly as a pro

I dont care if I walk into a club and there are 2 cardboard boxes and a trash can as a house kit......Im gonna kill it

Cmon Moon, a little break. The last backline kit I used...literally the floor tom was up near my neck, no exaggeration. Who could play that? He had extra long legs on the thing and he sat up sooo high. His beautiful Yammie MCA drums sounded just god awful. He gave me free reign to adjust whatever, and I went to town. I had to, the drums were unplayable for me. I tried to tune his drums, but they needed more time than I had, plus his heads were 5 year old, taped up, coated pinstripes, tuned bad flappy...I took a basket full of laundry from his bass drum, with not much improvement, changed the pedal, snare, used my cymbals and it still sucked in a major way. It's not always a little tweak here and there. The kick was so crappy sounding, as were the toms. I decided to just play kick snare hats and cymbals with as little toms as I could get away with. Only about 1 in 25 drummers I deal with have a good sounding kits, maybe.

Cmon Moon, a little break. The last backline kit I used...literally the floor tom was up near my neck, no exaggeration. Who could play that? He had extra long legs on the thing and he sat up sooo high. His beautiful Yammie MCA drums sounded just god awful. He gave me free reign to adjust whatever, and I went to town. I had to, the drums were unplayable for me. I tried to tune his drums, but they needed more time than I had, plus his heads were 5 year old, taped up, coated pinstripes, tuned bad flappy...I took a basket full of laundry from his bass drum, with not much improvement, changed the pedal, snare, used my cymbals and it still sucked in a major way. It's not always a little tweak here and there. The kick was so crappy sounding, as were the toms. I decided to just play kick snare hats and cymbals with as little toms as I could get away with. Only about 1 in 25 drummers I deal with have a good sounding kits, maybe.

I feel you

Ive played lots of terrible house kits in my time.....

ive just never been the carpenter who blames his tools kinda cat

i usually carry a spare set of fusion/rock heads on me just encase, if they venue owner is nice he can buy them at a discount
but there have been times when i would rather throw the house kit down a flight of stairs and give them a replacement than play on theirs

kidding, i just go home and never talk to the venue owner again

The less I carry, the better I feel for me too.

I'll take my pedal, snare, a couple of cymbals ( including hats, if I'm really insecure), and that works for me on most around the town gigs. The business-class gigs, I have to haul theTamas, but then those gigs are better organized, better sound, better venues etc and the nuance matters ( or can be heard.. ).

I hear you Larry, but I'll take wrestling with a floor tom over haul-setup-breakdown- haul anyday.. well not any day, most days.

The business-class gigs, I have to haul theTamas, but then those gigs are better organized, better sound, better venues etc and the nuance matters ( or can be heard.. ).

word, what sort of clintele are you playing for aydee? corporate suits canopes on trays?

Small adjustments, sure. But having to radically change the way you position yourself, hold your arms, reach for cymbals & toms, an uncomfortable pedal action where you can't even do 16ths? Being a pro does not mean being able to adjust to any situation.

Drums are the most tactile instrument around, where something positioned just 1/2" off the norm can make a difference. Shouldn't a pro be able to deal with that? Of course. Or an inch, or two or three. It depends what it is. But any situation? Be careful how you generalize.

Bermuda

Back