Left Pedal

Funkdoc

Alright so basically, i have Pearl P902 Double pedals and my left one sits a LOT further back than my right pedal, like the right pedal is about 3 inches away from my bass drum and the left is about 8 inches away. I just assumed this was normal. Although as of late i've noticed it infact, isn't.
Probably worth mentioning i've been playing for 3 years so i'm not exactly a "newb" but i'm still learning a lot :>
Has anyone encountered this before and has it had any adverse effects?
I have had a hard time learning Heels Up/Floating Feet. Just figured i was a terrible learner.
Although i've had a mate of mine play my kit and he said he loves my pedals.

For me it's normal to have the left pedal further back than the right pedal.

You seat at the drum not facing the bass drum, your right leg and foot are facing the bass drum, right? Therefore, your left leg and foot are facing the left pedal, exactly like if you had two bass drums. You don't put the bass drums side by side, you set them at an angle, same with you pedals. ;-)

Oops, major misunderstanding haha, i meant that my pedals are set at an angle as normal but i meant the right beater is upright, leaning back only a little, and the left beater is leaning right back, allow me to demonstrate in MS paint to give you an idea
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/321qt.jpg/

haha, sorry man, yes ooops!

No, it's ok, is looks like it's just the setting of the beater angle and spring tension that's different on either pedals, that's all.

Do you feel anything strange while playing? is one of your pedal is noticably sluggish?

As a precaution, I would check both attachements of the extension connexions at each shaft of the pedals to ensure they're properly secured, it's very often secured with an allen screw.

Hope this helps.

I have the pearl demon drives, and originally I set both pedals so that the beaters were almost equal in their rested position. After time though, the left beater started to angle back a little further. I believe this is the situation you are talking about.

I have the pedals set up correctly now and I really just do not want to mess with them. I have the spring tensions correct, the angles feel just right, the height of the beaters. When the left beater started to angle back a little more, the only modification I did, was to roll up my pants leg so that it would not get caught in the pedal.

I've only recently started playing double kick and only for fills/ occasional runs etc as I play mostly pop and no metal but I find that having my left beater further away from the head than the right to be beneficial because my left foot is weaker and so it evens out the velocity of each hit (i.e. because the left beater has further to travel a weaker stroke provides the same volume as a stronger stroke, from closer to the head, with my right foot)

Hope that makes sense?

Either way as long as it feels ok to you it doesn't matter that both pedals aren't exactly the same angle/ height etc

I think we all play the hi-hat differently than the bass drum. So no matter what we try to do we still have to play the hi-hat once in a while, unless we do what Keith Moon did in his latter years, which was to just get rid of the hi-hat.

But, even still he played with a left foot as the lead foot, I think that was a result of keeping the time with the left.

It is like playing match grip vs. military grip. One hand is different from the other, and I think the same thing will happen with the feet. They have different functions and different roles and rolls to be played with each of them.

Back