Quick question about the Evans EMAD

Blankso

Never owned one but Im interested in buy one.
With the ring on, I dont need to put anything inside of it right?

Depends on what kind of sound you are looking for, but, yeah, it's very likely
you'll like the tone without doing anything. Great, great BD head.

been using EMAD and EMAD 2 for a few years now. Most people like them and some have had trouble with the plastic ring coming off. Funny, I don't recall anyone saying they don't like them. It will make most bass drums very fat and punchy.

Save your money and buy an Aquarian SK1, up here in Toronto there is almost a 20 dollar difference b/w the emad and sk1. I picked up an sk1 for 32 bucks thank you very much, It's an incredible kick drum head.
My first choice was to try out the emad just to see what all the rave was about, but when I got to the store I could not pull the trigger, all the posts regarding the plastic holder breaking kept me from buying it. Its an expensive head, I don't have 50 dollars to throw away. I couldn't take the chance.
Don't get me wrong I'm sure its a great head, but for 20 bucks less the sk1 kicks amazing. I am very pleased with it. it's combo'd with an ebony ps3 w 5" porthole.

I like em alot, but I have heard of the plastic outer ring breaking up sometimes.
I've also heard that Evans fixed the problem.
I dont know what to believe, but I've heard many good things about them and I'm gonna buy one ASAP.
If it breaks prematurely, I wont buy another.

I already have an Evans EQ Pad on my stock batter head (which is pretty good already) but the EMAD (or actually GMAD for me, very similar, just one thick ply vs two thin) will really compliment it. I would still consider it a medium amount of muffling.

Check it out, I love mine and its actually pretty light weight (unlike a bulky pillow)...

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Evans-EQ-Pad-Bass-Drum-Muffler?sku=440271

We addressed the issue with the plastic ring cracking back in May of 2009. Any issues since have been with old heads. If you do happen to have an issue, definitely contact us and we'll take care of it for you.

Here's an explanation of the EMAD fix:
http://evansdrumheads.com/EVMediaDetail.Page?ActiveID=2949&MediaId=9036&ex=0

That is very good and useful information.

I feel better about going and getting one. It is the nicest desigh IMO, from the big three.

I hope I get one made after May of 09.

Is there anyway to tell?.

That is very good and useful information.

I feel better about going and getting one. It is the nicest desigh IMO, from the big three.

I hope I get one made after May of 09.

Yeah the sharp edge (old) or rounded edge (new)

I had an old one and it split in no time at all. I switched to the Aquarian Super Kick II. I did like the EMAD before it broke though...

If you're purchasing the head in person (as opposed to over the internet) definitely check it out first. The change from the 90 degree edge to a radius is relatively easy to spot.

Also, keep in mind that only a small percentage of the original version of the EMAD ever experienced an issue. The majority of them worked just fine. Of course, that's not enough for us here at Evans. We aim to make the perfect product :)

We addressed the issue with the plastic ring cracking back in May of 2009. Any issues since have been with old heads. If you do happen to have an issue, definitely contact us and we'll take care of it for you.

Here's an explanation of the EMAD fix:
http://evansdrumheads.com/EVMediaDetail.Page?ActiveID=2949&MediaId=9036&ex=0

thanks for the update I had no idea. I saw the video and it explains the new technology for the emad. For now I have an SK1 and I'm happy with it. We will see what the future brings maybe my next kick drum head will in fact be an emad.

Back