Another critique request...

kettles

Gold Member
Just thought I'd jump on the critiquing bandwagon... :)

So after watching this video a few times I have already learned a few things I need to work on, but I'm still curious about what you guys think. I have been trying to get my left hand to feel 'normal' for some time now, I'm having trouble with getting the stick to keep a straight up/down motion when using just fingers at higher speeds. I think it's because my fulcum isn't as solid as it needs to be, other than that I can't find where I'm going wrong. In this video I just did a whole bunch of stuff; singles, lots of singles, double strokes, some flams and stuff. Where it shows just my left hand, I switch the fulcrum to my first knuckle too which is something else I have been working on. Check it out, any advice is appreciated!

For the last few days I've been getting my left hand quicker so I can play open handed/left hand lead more often, and hopefully over time that will help it gain more control. But anything else that can help in the meantime would be great :)

http://youtu.be/xb3NC36zPJo

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to forget fast and imperfect and practice slow and perfect, watching your trajectories, and listening for even sound. Work each stroke, making sure it has a perfect vertical trajectory. Slow. The best way to increase your accuracy and speed is by control. Control starts at 40 BPM and less. Getting accurate slow, automatically makes your fast playing cleaner. This means working with a metronome. You simply cannot get the accuracy you need without one. I think you work your sticks well, your fingers are involved and the stick is off your palm. Forget the term speed and instead substitute the word control, control comes first. When you have control and accuracy, speed is right around the corner. Better to practice slow and accurate than fast an inaccurate.

All in all I'd say your technique looks good. Going slow will move you ahead faster, it seems backwards but it's not.

Last edited:
Id say go for more control...yr sticks look a bit out of control

and when you go the the paradiddle section.....what your stick heights....try to keep the taps much more quiet than the accents...keep those taps low.....this will give your drumming really nice dynamics and help greatly the control I spoke of earlier ...dynamics seem to be lacking quite a bit here

if your taps volume wise are very near your accents on a pad.....then on a drum they will sound virtually the same ...... exaggerate the the softness of your taps while on the pad .... creating dimension on the kit is the goal when separating taps from accents

and strictly in my opinion your pad is very low.....you may benefit from raising it a bit

I can only judge as a beginner, but I noticed that w/ French grip your stick (esp. the left one) is moving sideways quite a bit - this is normal as long as you haven't developed good control. I had that phase also but French grip has improved a lot and you can get it up to a level to have full control over the stick so it stays perfectly in place.

Paying attention to the sonic impression only your playing seemed fine to me - the strokes are close to even, the rhythm/note spacing is good.

Your pad is way too low - it might work for you but I think it's no good having your forearms in a negative angle like that. Also it would drive me mad to have the pad moving in the snare basket. You should tighten it up or come up with a way of having the pad stay in place.

Your flams (you didn't play a lot of them) sounded nice to me.

As others have said - just watching closely and paying attention to identical stick height and hand positions/grips/angles etc. is so helpful. Or use a mirror to detect issues.

You need work on the basic stroke also. You have jumped right into finger strokes without having a decent regular stroke. I didn't watch the doubles.

I think that if you were playing on a real snare drum it would sound very very loud.

Good points from Larry.

I think you should try and play what you're playing but a bit slower and softer. I don't think that finger speed is really a priority anyway. You'd be better working on nice smooth doubles. They much more applicable IMO and they can be played super quiet and relaxed.

You're a very strong player! If you can figure how to get your forearms, wrists, and fingers working in absolute harmony, you're going to be a monster! I would say that, yes, your grip needs some change, but probably so does your workout routine. In general, you're playing very hard, with somewhat limited dynamics.

Two things stuck out to me:

1. In the first part of the vid, there is some inconsistency, and some sticks hitting each other occasionally. If you listen closely, you have some room to grow in terms of "uniformity of sound", and you can see small shifts in the sticks' trajectories. This is probably because of your American grip approach. I can't help but think that, at that dynamic level and speed, you would be better served with German grip. Actually, it might be useful to practice playing singles as you cycle through all of the grips (German, America, French, and back). This might help you to gain further control of your fulcrum as well.

2. The open-closed-open parts of the vid (doubles and paradiddles) are very telling. You probably aren't able to achieve a much higher top speed, because it will require lower stick heights, and therefore lower volume (which is OK, because, in general, you're playing quite loud!).

I worry about players whose hands point outwards from their wrists as they play. I see your hand stretching below the base of the thumb, and I have read about players getting tendonitis below the thumb and along that part of the wrist and forearm. While the stick should be an extension of the forearm, it should not be in line with it! Rather, the hand should extend straight out from the forearm, and the stick should be at a 30 to 40 degree angle.

Personally, I saw the most improvement after working from Bill Bachman's Rudimental Logic Book and DVD. He demonstrates a free stroke better than anyone, and he has a real knack for devising exercises and drills that "force" you into better technique. And he gives Skype lessons! I also like Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons DVD for it's demonstration of Moeller technique, the various grips, and finger control exercises.

Hey -nothing to say (critically) that hasnt been said but your hands are stupid fast. How long you been at it? I am impressed with your speed. Seems like people are a little too harsh with the commentary understanding of course that you asked for it.

Obvious things to work on but who doesnt have them.

Wow thanks guys, this has been really helpful. To be honest I have been playing like this for at least three years once I decided to change my main grip to German (previously did French/semi-american for pretty much everything). I haven't really strived for speed and what you see in the video has been the peak of my ability for quite a while (besides a small gain with my left recently), and it's quite effortless to play. I have never had any trouble with injuries either. I generally practice loud on the pad for power, because that's what I need for the music I play. I do practice soft as well but I guess not so much. I think the wrist angle is what needs to change so I'm doing a proper German grip, it doesn't feel natural or very powerful but I'm going to give it some time and hope it works out.

My suggestion would be to forget fast and imperfect and practice slow and perfect, watching your trajectories, and listening for even sound. Work each stroke, making sure it has a perfect vertical trajectory. Slow. The best way to increase your accuracy and speed is by control. Control starts at 40 BPM and less. Getting accurate slow, automatically makes your fast playing cleaner. This means working with a metronome. You simply cannot get the accuracy you need without one. I think you work your sticks well, your fingers are involved and the stick is off your palm. Forget the term speed and instead substitute the word control, control comes first. When you have control and accuracy, speed is right around the corner. Better to practice slow and accurate than fast an inaccurate.

All in all I'd say your technique looks good. Going slow will move you ahead faster, it seems backwards but it's not.

Thanks for the kind words :) I do spend some time on practicing slowly but probably not nearly enough. What do you suggest I do slowly? Rudiments, stick control, or just individual stokes? I can't really do fingers too slowly, so how can I work on accuracy with that?

Id say go for more control...yr sticks look a bit out of control

and when you go the the paradiddle section.....what your stick heights....try to keep the taps much more quiet than the accents...keep those taps low.....this will give your drumming really nice dynamics and help greatly the control I spoke of earlier ...dynamics seem to be lacking quite a bit here

if your taps volume wise are very near your accents on a pad.....then on a drum they will sound virtually the same ...... exaggerate the the softness of your taps while on the pad .... creating dimension on the kit is the goal when separating taps from accents

and strictly in my opinion your pad is very low.....you may benefit from raising it a bit

One of the things I noticed when watching back was how high the unaccented strokes are - way higher than they look from my POV. I occasionally practice on my snare which is a lot more beneficial than the pad dynamically, but don't get the opportunity so often. My pad does look low but it's about the same height as my snare would be. Seeing as you mentioned it I will try raising it a little but I can't go much higher or I have to lift my forearms and bend my wrists just to hit it.

I can only judge as a beginner, but I noticed that w/ French grip your stick (esp. the left one) is moving sideways quite a bit - this is normal as long as you haven't developed good control. I had that phase also but French grip has improved a lot and you can get it up to a level to have full control over the stick so it stays perfectly in place.

Paying attention to the sonic impression only your playing seemed fine to me - the strokes are close to even, the rhythm/note spacing is good.

Your pad is way too low - it might work for you but I think it's no good having your forearms in a negative angle like that. Also it would drive me mad to have the pad moving in the snare basket. You should tighten it up or come up with a way of having the pad stay in place.

Your flams (you didn't play a lot of them) sounded nice to me.

As others have said - just watching closely and paying attention to identical stick height and hand positions/grips/angles etc. is so helpful. Or use a mirror to detect issues.

Yeah the control in my left hand is one thing I definitely need to work on. The stick moves around because my hand keeps trying to find the right position to keep the stick in a good up/down motion. About the pad - I have actually worn away the plastic claws so much that the stand doesn't grip the pad anymore, even at it's tightest. So for the video I just found a way to wedge it in there without it slipping entirely. It's at a comfortable height and I think it might just be the angle you're looking at it, either way I'll try raising and see what happens. I use a mirror sometimes but am finding the video is more helpful, probably because I can just observe without playing.

You need work on the basic stroke also. You have jumped right into finger strokes without having a decent regular stroke. I didn't watch the doubles.

What about my basic stroke needs work? Is it just the whole wrist angle thing or something else?

I think that if you were playing on a real snare drum it would sound very very loud.

Good points from Larry.

I think you should try and play what you're playing but a bit slower and softer. I don't think that finger speed is really a priority anyway. You'd be better working on nice smooth doubles. They much more applicable IMO and they can be played super quiet and relaxed.

Loud is kinda what I'm going for, and playing with power and endurance. But yes like I said above, I might do well with more time spent at lower levels. As for doubles, I don't have a lot of use for them at the moment but I'm still keen to practice them.

You're a very strong player! If you can figure how to get your forearms, wrists, and fingers working in absolute harmony, you're going to be a monster! I would say that, yes, your grip needs some change, but probably so does your workout routine. In general, you're playing very hard, with somewhat limited dynamics.

Two things stuck out to me:

1. In the first part of the vid, there is some inconsistency, and some sticks hitting each other occasionally. If you listen closely, you have some room to grow in terms of "uniformity of sound", and you can see small shifts in the sticks' trajectories. This is probably because of your American grip approach. I can't help but think that, at that dynamic level and speed, you would be better served with German grip. Actually, it might be useful to practice playing singles as you cycle through all of the grips (German, America, French, and back). This might help you to gain further control of your fulcrum as well.

2. The open-closed-open parts of the vid (doubles and paradiddles) are very telling. You probably aren't able to achieve a much higher top speed, because it will require lower stick heights, and therefore lower volume (which is OK, because, in general, you're playing quite loud!).

I worry about players whose hands point outwards from their wrists as they play. I see your hand stretching below the base of the thumb, and I have read about players getting tendonitis below the thumb and along that part of the wrist and forearm. While the stick should be an extension of the forearm, it should not be in line with it! Rather, the hand should extend straight out from the forearm, and the stick should be at a 30 to 40 degree angle.

Personally, I saw the most improvement after working from Bill Bachman's Rudimental Logic Book and DVD. He demonstrates a free stroke better than anyone, and he has a real knack for devising exercises and drills that "force" you into better technique. And he gives Skype lessons! I also like Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons DVD for it's demonstration of Moeller technique, the various grips, and finger control exercises.

Thanks for the compliment. And yeah I guess you could say being a monster is the goal :) Like I said above, the inconsistency comes from my left hand trying to find the best position to keep the stick straight while using fingers. The grip cycling idea is good, my right can go from German to French quite well but my left isn't so good. In regards to the angle, I'm playing how it feels natural but I'm starting to think that's what needs to change. Although when I do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexmxIaa6PM - I actually have to angle my wrist or the stick doesn't slap against my forearm, which is incorrect? Confusing. But I think I'll forget that and try playing with my hands in a more natural angle anyway. I didn't know Bill had a DVD, I'll look into that.

Hey -nothing to say (critically) that hasnt been said but your hands are stupid fast. How long you been at it? I am impressed with your speed. Seems like people are a little too harsh with the commentary understanding of course that you asked for it.

Obvious things to work on but who doesnt have them.

Thanks! Like I said above I haven't really tried to go fast, it's more been a result of the music I play as well as practicing good technique to the best that I know. Probably the thing that helped the most is trying to get the most rebound as possible. I've been drumming for about 11 years on and off, but playing in hardcore and punk bands for the last few years is what got me to where I am now. The commentary isn't as harsh as I'd expected so I'm happy. All good advice and inspiration to keep practicing!

(sorry if any of this post is a little incoherent, it's way past my bedtime!)

You're a very strong player! If you can figure how to get your forearms, wrists, and fingers working in absolute harmony, you're going to be a monster!

I agree with this!

One suggestion that hasn't been listed yet that I'd strongly consider.

If you have one available and the time/financial resources, you may want to consider finding a professionally classically trained percussionist / teacher who will assist you with this transition in development.

From experience, I spent 3 years with one at a locally famous music university and it completely changed the way I'd approach control and technique from then on. All we worked on for 3 solid years was the hands.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else I can add that hasn't already been mentioned. Stick heights, dynamics, tempo, etc.... These points aren't just for you to do - it's an ongoing learning process for all of us.

Keep it up and you'll be a monster for sure.

Thanks for the kind words :) I do spend some time on practicing slowly but probably not nearly enough. What do you suggest I do slowly? Rudiments, stick control, or just individual stokes? I can't really do fingers too slowly, so how can I work on accuracy with that?

My suggestion is start at the beginning, one stroke per click, alternating hands, at 40 BPM or less for like 1 hour straight. Your goal is to remove all the bugs and just get your basic stroke picture perfect, in every way, at a stupid slow tempo. After you get your basic alternating stroke COMPLETELY MASTERED, then you progress from there. This may take a few weeks, working your basic stroke. Best time you'll ever spend too. Everyone with stroke issues, IMO needs to go back to the first day of first grade. Not that your technique is rotten, not at all. I just believe that getting a perfect slow stroke, that buries the click on a met, needs to be mastered before progressing. That way you have the most basic of basic covered, a perfectly even stroke. The benefits of this one stupid exercise will amaze you, I kid you not.

Going back to learn a proper wrist stroke and grip would be a good idea. It will help a lot with endurance and it will definately help with your doubles. Do you have a teacher that can help you? I think you'd be best served by spending time with a quality instructor. Technique is something that takes years to develop and maintain.

I agree with bigd here. Work on the basic stroke first. There is too much inconsistency between the left and right hand. And as I recently told another guy with skills, you can't pour on the finger technique until your basic stroke is even and consistent with obvious motion memory in place. Although it's apparent that you're a good player there is no consistent motion in your stroke. It would be the same as an American baseball player who simply swung for the fences without spending time in the batting cage learning a slower consistent motion. People would say that batter had a hole in his swing. Using that analogy you have a hole in your stroke.

Let me explain.

When you go directly into advanced finger technique (short for emphasis on the index and big fingers) you greatly cheat the development of your 4th finger and pinky which are very important towards steering the stick in a consistent direction and creating the actual control required to play. This problem is at the same time compounded when the base of your stick lands in different areas of your palm. The confused motion then sends a message to your brain to fix all that. So, if you'll notice, you start moving your wrists inward and stiffen them up to compensate. Yeah, it's a small constriction, but all that will add up the longer you stay with your version of finger technique and can lead to the first symptoms of carpal tunnel, if not today then sometime. And trust me...as somebody who used to compete as a speed drummer, I've asked a lot of people about carpal tunnel. So I'm not wrong on that.

Now here's what I meant about your version of finger technique. You have taken the index/big finger concept one step farther by almost exclusively emphasizing the index finger while the big finger is rather passive. Then you have your sticks at world beater heights (I would guess 8" or more). That's why as Larry and others correctly mention, your trajectory is very inconsistent, meaning your sticks are all over the pad.

Then when all this happens, that brain signal thing I talked about sends messages to your wrists and forearms to fix that...then all that other stuff happens and over time you lose flexibility in your stroke with sore wrists besides. I compare this to say a guy like DW forum's own Tom Grossett, who is one of the best pad guys on the planet. You could probably look at his pad and see a worn spot in pretty close to the same place, because he worked on his muscle memory slow at first then faster over long periods of time, and with use of all the fingers on his hand.

Then you HAVE TO lower the sticks to where the trajectory is close to even over hundreds, then thousands of strokes. Guys you see lifting their sticks way off the pad did all these other things first before even trying what you're doing. In fact, I'm amazed you've gotten this far. But trust me, if you don't lower those sticks, then slow it down to develop an even trajectory that in turn helps develop equal strength in both hands... then the wall you're going to hit is coming sooner than later.

See, that's how muscle memory leads to the finger stuff. You use the entire hand first and allow all the fingers to do what they are traditionally supposed to do...because they all play a significant part. The bigger fingers are the engine while the back fingers and the thumb webbing are steerage. When you go right to the big fingers without using the back fingers, the bigger fingers have to work too hard. The key is to use ALL the fingers enough to where you can localize (make the motion smaller and smaller) with the steerage fingers until that area of the hand actually remembers how to steer without using the whole hand.

But that takes a long time. A lot of people for instance like to equate that thumb webbing trad grip thing I sometimes do with a short cut or a gimmick, without considering how long it must have taken to develop enough memory in my hand to do that. And in saying that I'm not trying to prop myself as much as I'm trying to say that a good work ethic is what it is.

In my way of seeing it too many good players who have the potential to be a lot more, don't want to spend the hours needed to work up a basic stroke. That's also why a lot of guys on forums will say Oh he's just using fingers...because over time guys have now equated a very difficult transition with a short cut. And the reason they say that is because many drummers do use finger technique for exactly that reason.

You know you play well. So if it was me, I would want to do all that the right way...first and foremost by lowering my stroke by half and going back to using my whole hand and let my wrists develop a nice relaxed consistent motion.

I agree with bigd here. Work on the basic stroke first. There is too much inconsistency between the left and right hand. And as I recently told another guy with skills, you can't pour on the finger technique until your basic stroke is even and consistent with obvious motion memory in place. Although it's apparent that you're a good player there is no consistent motion in your stroke. It would be the same as an American baseball player who simply swung for the fences without spending time in the batting cage learning a slower consistent motion. People would say that batter had a hole in his swing. Using that analogy you have a hole in your stroke.

Let me explain.

When you go directly into advanced finger technique (short for emphasis on the index and big fingers) you greatly cheat the development of your 4th finger and pinky which are very important towards steering the stick in a consistent direction and creating the actual control required to play. This problem is at the same time compounded when the base of your stick lands in different areas of your palm. The confused motion then sends a message to your brain to fix all that. So, if you'll notice, you start moving your wrists inward and stiffen them up to compensate. Yeah, it's a small constriction, but all that will add up the longer you stay with your version of finger technique and can lead to the first symptoms of carpal tunnel, if not today then sometime. And trust me...as somebody who used to compete as a speed drummer, I've asked a lot of people about carpal tunnel. So I'm not wrong on that.

Now here's what I meant about your version of finger technique. You have taken the index/big finger concept one step farther by almost exclusively emphasizing the index finger while the big finger is rather passive. Then you have your sticks at world beater heights (I would guess 8" or more). That's why as Larry and others correctly mention, your trajectory is very inconsistent, meaning your sticks are all over the pad.

Then when all this happens, that brain signal thing I talked about sends messages to your wrists and forearms to fix that...then all that other stuff happens and over time you lose flexibility in your stroke with sore wrists besides. I compare this to say a guy like DW forum's own Tom Grossett, who is one of the best pad guys on the planet. You could probably look at his pad and see a worn spot in pretty close to the same place, because he worked on his muscle memory slow at first then faster over long periods of time, and with use of all the fingers on his hand.

Then you HAVE TO lower the sticks to where the trajectory is close to even over hundreds, then thousands of strokes. Guys you see lifting their sticks way off the pad did all these other things first before even trying what you're doing. In fact, I'm amazed you've gotten this far. But trust me, if you don't lower those sticks, then slow it down to develop an even trajectory that in turn helps develop equal strength in both hands... then the wall you're going to hit is coming sooner than later.

See, that's how muscle memory leads to the finger stuff. You use the entire hand first and allow all the fingers to do what they are traditionally supposed to do...because they all play a significant part. The bigger fingers are the engine while the back fingers and the thumb webbing are steerage. When you go right to the big fingers without using the back fingers, the bigger fingers have to work too hard. The key is to use ALL the fingers enough to where you can localize (make the motion smaller and smaller) with the steerage fingers until that area of the hand actually remembers how to steer without using the whole hand.

But that takes a long time. A lot of people for instance like to equate that thumb webbing trad grip thing I sometimes do with a short cut or a gimmick, without considering how long it must have taken to develop enough memory in my hand to do that. And in saying that I'm not trying to prop myself as much as I'm trying to say that a good work ethic is what it is.

In my way of seeing it too many good players who have the potential to be a lot more, don't want to spend the hours needed to work up a basic stroke. That's also why a lot of guys on forums will say Oh he's just using fingers...because over time guys have now equated a very difficult transition with a short cut. And the reason they say that is because many drummers do use finger technique for exactly that reason.

You know you play well. So if it was me, I would want to do all that the right way...first and foremost by lowering my stroke by half and going back to using my whole hand and let my wrists develop a nice relaxed consistent motion.

great stuff Matt

those too impatient to read it all missed out

:)

Let me explain.

Matt,
You are one patient young man. I could never have been patient enough to write a response like that. There is so much that goes into developing technique that most people don't understand or take the time to do, but it's what sets apart the good from the great. I've been in the front row watching my 16 year old develop solid technique for snare/set/timpani as well as 4 mallet marimba. He's spent hours upon hours (a lazy day for him is at the very least 3-4 hours). I wish the OP luck and hope he's serious enough to go back and develp correctly.

Bigd

I've spent a few good hours over the last three days doing slow strokes on a rubber eraser taped to a chair. It's about .75" x 1", a real challenge. I have also started practicing with my hands and sticks at the correct angle (or at least something that feels more correct). My right hand picked it up quickly but my left took a bit of drilling. It felt really awkward as you would expect but is beginning to feel more normal and I can hit my new tiny practice pad with only the occasional miss. But what level of accuracy is really needed? The rubber-chair device is ok for now, but I want to build myself a small pad, how big should it be? 1 inch? It needs to be small enough to force me to focus on accuracy, but not unnecessarily hard.

I started practicing a free stroke as well. Watched the section in Jojo's DVD as well as a few other videos, it's coming along nicely and I'll see if my teacher can help me with it. I don't see him often for lessons but I'll have a chat and see if he can help with some of this stuff.

My "technique" is that poor, there isn't a sub beginner description that's low enough to apply with any credibility. I say you're doing a great job :)

Thanks Andy. but I doubt you're that bad.

I agree with this!

One suggestion that hasn't been listed yet that I'd strongly consider.

If you have one available and the time/financial resources, you may want to consider finding a professionally classically trained percussionist / teacher who will assist you with this transition in development.

From experience, I spent 3 years with one at a locally famous music university and it completely changed the way I'd approach control and technique from then on. All we worked on for 3 solid years was the hands.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else I can add that hasn't already been mentioned. Stick heights, dynamics, tempo, etc.... These points aren't just for you to do - it's an ongoing learning process for all of us.

Keep it up and you'll be a monster for sure.

Thanks man. Yes, my teacher (who I only see occasionally) is a classically trained percussionist as well as pro drummer, and plays with orchestras (I guess he's pretty good, there aren't exactly many orchestras here in NZ). He kicks ass on the marimba anyway! We haven't spent a lot of time on my technique, because at the time I had lessons was was focusing on other more critical things at the time like my overall accuracy and timing on the kit. I'll have a chat to him and see if he is able to take me through some highly focused technique work.

My suggestion is start at the beginning, one stroke per click, alternating hands, at 40 BPM or less for like 1 hour straight. Your goal is to remove all the bugs and just get your basic stroke picture perfect, in every way, at a stupid slow tempo. After you get your basic alternating stroke COMPLETELY MASTERED, then you progress from there. This may take a few weeks, working your basic stroke. Best time you'll ever spend too. Everyone with stroke issues, IMO needs to go back to the first day of first grade. Not that your technique is rotten, not at all. I just believe that getting a perfect slow stroke, that buries the click on a met, needs to be mastered before progressing. That way you have the most basic of basic covered, a perfectly even stroke. The benefits of this one stupid exercise will amaze you, I kid you not.

I did see your other thread and I haven't tried it out yet but I'll give it a go sometime soon :) So what kind of strokes do you do? Free strokes or full strokes, or something else. What about about stick height?

Going back to learn a proper wrist stroke and grip would be a good idea. It will help a lot with endurance and it will definately help with your doubles. Do you have a teacher that can help you? I think you'd be best served by spending time with a quality instructor. Technique is something that takes years to develop and maintain.

Thanks, yes I don't quite understand what you mean by proper wrist stroke (free stroke with opening fingers like the video I linked above?) but I'll see what my teacher can offer anyway so hopefully that will clear things up for me.

Man what a post! I've had to read it a few times over the last day to take it all in and I really appreciate the feedback. What you said is totally making sense and after reading that I'm really motivated to take some time to get it down the right way. You didn't mention anything about my wrist angle - I generally (until a few days ago) have the sticks in a straight line with my forearm and wrists turned, but as I understand it, correct German grip would have the wrists straight and the sticks at a 30-40 degree angle to the forearm. What do you think about that? As above, I have spent some time over the last couple of days practicing with the correct angle and it's starting to feel normal and potentially better than what was doing previously. Just wondering your take on that.

Matt,
You are one patient young man. I could never have been patient enough to write a response like that. There is so much that goes into developing technique that most people don't understand or take the time to do, but it's what sets apart the good from the great. I've been in the front row watching my 16 year old develop solid technique for snare/set/timpani as well as 4 mallet marimba. He's spent hours upon hours (a lazy day for him is at the very least 3-4 hours). I wish the OP luck and hope he's serious enough to go back and develp correctly.

Bigd

You bet I'm serious! I'm not sure that I can focus on hand technique solely for too long but for it'll sure be a priority. I figure if I at least learn what I should be doing then when I do practice, it'll be more effective, and I can also incorporate correct technique into my regular playing over time as well.

What do you mean by world-beater heights? I haven't heard that term before.

I practice with the big stick heights as it helps me play louder on the kit. It's so when I get to the kit I'm used to letting the rebound get the sticks up high. I do use a Moeller-ish whipping motion as well at times, so I understand it's not just all about height. In saying that, I sure don't spend nearly as much time as I should at lower levels. My low volume practice is mostly just playing quiet jazz on the kit but not on the pad.

Back