Beautiful drum kit configurations

My Vote - 1 up two down.

DSC02668.jpg

metrooverhead.jpg

overhead.jpg

rogers1.jpg

I've mostly played 1 up/1 down and 2 up/1 down kits. I like the look of 1 rack tom but if I want an extra tom, I prefer to put it up and not down. I find that there's just too much space between drums the rack tom and the floor tom. What I like about 2 up/1 down is I can easily get to any drum with both hands from any other drum. It's just ergonomically sensible for me and I've come up with patterns that rely on that tom placement over the years.

3 up, 2 down is my favorite. I also like it when cymbals are set up symmetrically.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that a 1 up, 2 down kit looks amazing compared to a standard 5 piece config, and don't even get me started on a 3 up, 1 down kit...down right ugly. So what's everyone elses favourite configuration, purely on looks alone.

Yeah, we three up one/two down guys are sorry you can't afford a real drum set. Maybe one day.

I think kits with 4 rack toms look pretty cool. It has some symetry to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1669GOOD.JPG
    IMG_1669GOOD.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 8,521
1 up 2 down! Or a simple 3 or 4 piece. I like a lot of different set ups.

Sorry for the blurry pictures lame camera.

Thanks

Attachments

• drumming.jpg
    drumming.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8,202
  • p_00174 (600x450).jpg
    p_00174 (600x450).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 8,464
For some reason I've never been a fan of 1 up 2 down. I like the symmetry of the the 2 toms over the bass. At practice, I play a 1 up 1 down kit and I'm not thrilled with it, but it's at the practice facility which means I don't have to lug my kit there, so I'm not going to look a gift kit in the mouth.

My current kit at church is 2 up 1 down, and the kit at home is 3 up 2 down, and can be expanded to 5 up if I use my rotos. I'd love to have 2 bass drums, but they take up too much space, and a double bass pedal gets the job done.

Ironically I'm a pretty unflashy drummer and don't do any solos or huge fills either at church or in my other band.

4 piece, 1 up 2 down, 2 up 1 down, 2 up 2 down, 17 up 39.6 down, doesn't matter to me as long as there's no tom over the right side of the bass drum, i like my ride low and close where i can groove on it. (for what its worth i do play a 4 piece)

4 piece, 1 up 2 down, 2 up 1 down, 2 up 2 down, 17 up 39.6 down, doesn't matter to me as long as there's no tom over the right side of the bass drum, i like my ride low and close where i can groove on it. (for what its worth i do play a 4 piece)

how much fun is thread for drummers? can't really measure it...i like that cymbal bam is talkin about, but recently bought a set with four toms, two big ones on a stand, all extended, 22" kick, and find that i have no place to put the small toms cuz they're so freaking high, and i favor having them low and flattish like fuzrock's pretty set. i even thought of getting a "traps" brand kick drum that has no shell at all so i could hang the toms in front of it, and just trigger it(i know that's a crime in some of your guys' book). or they had that floor tom in a cradle thing that serves as a kick.

but my first vote is one up, one or two down. my next vote is put em however you need to to fit them, but make them look beautiful and 100% accessible at the same time.

as long as there's no tom over the right side of the bass drum, i like my ride low and close where i can groove on it.

For me, I would think the ride would interfere with movement between the 1 up and 1 down.

I like my 1 up 1 down with a Gong bass drum next to my floor tom.... not really a 1 up 2 down since the gong tom isn't positioned like a floor tom.

-Jonathan

weren't you rocking a 3 piece (or four piece, I guess, including the gong drum) for awhile?

yeah, but then I realized how much I missed my rack tom in front of me. good memory!!

As soon as I can find my camera (just moved) I'll snap some pics!

-Jonathan

I usually play a four piece (one-up/one-down), but I do like the look of a one-up, two-down configuration

Attachments

• resampled from behind.jpg
    resampled from behind.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 9,743
For looks I like 3 up 2 down, with a medium sized bass drum, small rack toms, and big floor toms. But I hate large tonal seperations between my rack toms and floor toms, so in a playing situation I would have 3 medium-large size rack toms, and 2 (one small, one medium/large) floor toms. Then If there was room, 2 or 3 smaller rack toms on the left.

Also can't go wrong with 1 up 1 down, or just an old skewl snare, bass, and floor tom.

Back