Drummers who have influenced you

Roger Taylor (great with grooving)
Neil Peart (great period)
Jon Bonham (super fast bass drum pedaling with a single pedal)
Carl Palmer (excellent percussionist. I listen to him a lot before band rehearsal)

Bill Bruford and Ginger Baker are my top two, but I also like: steve Gadd, Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Danny Carey, Mitch Mitchell, Carter Beauford, Carl Palmer, Jo Jo Mayer, and Keith Moon.

These aren't neccessarily all of my favorites, just the ones that I think have influenced me in some way.

Bonham
Danny Carey
Matt Cameron
Sean Kinney (underrated)
Dave Farris (local guy)
Chuck Nicholas

You guys are probably sick of me talking about it, but Johnny Rabb is HUGE on my list of influence right now. I learned more in a few hours of watching and jamming with him than I have in years. The last week has been rediculous as far as the amount of inspiration and motivation I've had to take things up a notch.

He showed me a practice mechanism that he uses and already I've seen my creativity jump 100 miles in the sky just from using it each day.

Hey Derrick! I've seen your technique videos and enjoy them. I really like the way you present yourself with a "down-to-earth" style that's easy to understand. The student feels very comfortable watching and listening to your instruction. Thanks for offering your methods and insight! Teach and Play On....Peace

Uh oh, what would that be??

Its basically the "toolbox" idea.

He would take a simple lick, for example a 3 count linear pattern with a certain sticking, and he would play it over and over again along with a hihat pulse. Then when he was comfortable with the pattern he would groove for awhile using the lick as a fill. Then when he was comfortable inserting it into a groove he would start changing the voicing. Hitting different surfaces, or change the timing like or turning it into a triplet feel. Within 15 minutes he was able to do ANYTHING he wanted with it. By then it sounded like 10,000 different patterns of all shapes and sizes but they were all just variations on the one simple original lick. It was wild to see that in action. It's not a new or revolutionary idea, but I've never seen it used so efficiently or creatively.

Lets take a quick example: 7 16th notes at the end of the measure
S=snare T=tom F=floor tom K=kick

e + a 4 e + a
S T T F F S B
r l l r r l f

Play that pattern over and over again with the correct sticking along with a hihat quarter note pulse. Once you have it in muscle memory, Start playing a simple groove and use that as your fill. Do not change it. Once you have it down cold and you can insert it anywhere in the groove, start changing the voicings. Instead of the high tom hit the hihat with the double left on + A, or bring the floor tom notes back to the snare or replace them with a double on the kick which accenting a splash for the last note. As long as the pattern and sticking remains the same. Then maybe take those first three notes of the grouping and make them into sixteeth note triplets causing the whole pattern to now start on the AND of four instead of E.
Pretty soon, before you even know it you'll have a million new fills and licks, but again they are all just small variations on the original one written above.

Give it a try. Its killer.

Not too manny but these drummers have influenced my style a lot:

-Travis Barker
-Travis Smith
-James Sullivan
-Alex Rodriguez
-John Bonham
-Mitch Mitchell
-Joey Jordison
-Brandon Saller

....like most of the replies, there are many more but those drummers are most influential to me.

Danny Noe---my dad, a great drummer who got me hooked on his hero, Gene Krupa, and the next guy on this list......
Buddy Rich---Got to see Buddy when I was 10......frickin' amazing!
Robert Sweet---my rock/metal influence...I love his playing
Alan Evans---If you've never heard this guy check him out with the band Soulive. His groove/soul/funk/blues/jazz drumming is awesome.
Chris Layton---Can't live in Austin, TX. and not be influenced by him. He did some great blues-rock drumming with Stevie.
Oscar Seaton---More of a session drummer but has played with the likes of Lee Ritenour. This guy can flat jam!

Last edited:
Danny Noe---my dad, a great drummer who got me hooked on his hero, Gene Krupa, and the next guy on this list......
Buddy Rich---Got to see Buddy when I was 10......frickin' amazing!
Robert Sweet---my rock/metal influence...I love his playing
Alan Evans---If you've never heard this guy check him out with the band Soulive. His groove/soul/funk/blues/jazz drumming is awesome.
Chris Layton---Can't live in Austin, TX. and not be influenced by him. He did some great blues-rock drumming with Stevie.

Thanks, Doc. Hey, do you remember where you saw Buddy? Had to be incredible! Interesting list, here. Play On!

For me it is definitly.....

1.Danney Carey
2.Niel Peart
3.Matt Mcndough
4.Tim Alexander
5.Jon Theodore
6.Abe Cunningham
7.John Blackwell
8.Jose Pasillas
9.Billy Cobham
10.Buddy Rich

For me it is definitly.....

1.Danney Carey
2.Niel Peart
3.Thomas Lang
4.Matt Mcndough
5.Tim Alexander
6.Jon Theodore
7.Abe Cunningham
8.John Blackwell
9.Jose Pasillas
10.Billy Cobham
11.Buddy Rich

Thanks, Doc. Hey, do you remember where you saw Buddy? Had to be incredible! Interesting list, here. Play On!

Saw Buddy in 1983 in Sulphur, Louisiana(just 5 minutes from Lake Charles, La. where I'm from) at Sulphur High School. I didn't really want to go because I wasn't sure what to expect at a jazz concert. My dad had given me a Jazz At The Philharmonic Drum Battle cassette(remember those) with Buddy and Gene's classic drum battle but I didn't really listen to it........until after that night. I was blown away! Man, I look back now and I realize how fortunate I was to be able to see Buddy before he died in 1987. That's a night I'll always remember, especially since I got to see him with my biggest influence as a drummer, my pops.

Saw Buddy in 1983 in Sulphur, Louisiana(just 5 minutes from Lake Charles, La. where I'm from) at Sulphur High School. I didn't really want to go because I wasn't sure what to expect at a jazz concert. My dad had given me a Jazz At The Philharmonic Drum Battle cassette(remember those) with Buddy and Gene's classic drum battle but I didn't really listen to it........until after that night. I was blown away! Man, I look back now and I realize how fortunate I was to be able to see Buddy before he died in 1987. That's a night I'll always remember, especially since I got to see him with my biggest influence as a drummer, my pops.

i probably saw Buddy about 10 times as he usually came around here every summer. NEVER ceased to amaze!!!

This may sound corny, but every drummer that I see that plays, does, or uses something that I haven't seen before influences me. I see them do something and then I can't stop thinking about it until I can somehow incorporate it into my playing, so many ideas so little time.

Wow Dr.! Fantastic! Would've loved to have seen that show. You were VERY fortunate to see him live. Thanks for sharing your experience...Play On! ;-)

i probably saw Buddy about 10 times as he usually came around here every summer. NEVER ceased to amaze!!!

10 TIMES? Holy Teledo! Now THAT'S amazing in itself, nickg. Bet it was a different show every time too. Buddy was so improv! Whatever he felt, on any givin' night, he'd play. Never the same, always spectacular. Thanks nickg...Play On!

Back