Checking out some Speed Kings

deltdrum

A guy on Craigslist has 2 of them. What should I look for to make sure that they're in decent condition?

I bought two off CL a few years ago. Just play them, see if everything moves. I had to rebuild mine by soaking them, replacing some bearings, and re-greasing everything. It wasn't too hard, and fun, but it may not be something you want to undertake. If you decide to go down that route, feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll see if I can remember enough to get you going.

Well, you gotta make sure you have the John Bonham squeak built-in. Contrary to popular belief, this squeak comes from the pins at the heel plate. So make sure they they make that sound, or they're not real Speed Kings ;)

Awesome. The guy is going to let me wait until payday and I think I'll buy both and fix them up. Maybe donate one to my old highschool jazz band or something.

Well, you gotta make sure you have the John Bonham squeak built-in. Contrary to popular belief, this squeak comes from the pins at the heel plate. So make sure they they make that sound, or they're not real Speed Kings ;)

I did not know this! I guess every day is a school day :)

Back