Whate stain.

PeniScott

Silver Member
Anyone know where i can get a decent wood stain in the UK. I'm thinking Hursts right now (not sure if they have that shop anywhere other than where i live though :S)

And also, to get a clearcoat over the stain, would it be best to spray or brush it on over the stain?

cheers
xoxo

Scott--- I built custom drums for over ten years and once I found Behlen Solar Lux wood stains, I never went back. Seriously, the best non-grain raising stain you'll find. They also carry a white "pickling" stain that will do a transparent whitewash finish that is second to none. There are about 12-15 different colors you can select from as well as wood "colors" such as walnut,oak,etc. Great stuff, simply google the name for suppliers in the UK. I'm sure they are there. Topcoat? For the best results you need to spray. If you don't have access to a spray booth, you'll need to experiment with top quality, water clear sprays from cans before you spray on your actual finished drum. Again, check the Behlen supplies, but once you locate them there, talk to someone at the store you buy them from and let them know what you're looking for and what you're doing. Most will be glad to help once they have enough information about what you want to do. Here's a photo of the Solar Lux stains, although the labels have changed on some of the newer product, but it's still the best you can get. Simply wipe on the shells and let dry for several hours before topcoating. Naturally, more coats of color will darken the shade, so experiment before you actually do your drum shells. Piece of cake really. But practice the topcoat first! Let us know how it goes...if you need any help, hit me back here or PM me...dave

Attachments

• solar lux stain.jpg
    solar lux stain.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 157
  • pickiling.jpg
    pickiling.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a stain that has a nice white finish to it but still lets some of the wood grain show through.
But I'm curious, what's the difference between 'normal' stain and pickling stain?

xoxo

Not sure what is meant by "normal" stain, but the Behlen stain on the left is the bottle with the wood and actual colors. The "pickling" stain is a transparent white. If you choose to do the drums in the pickling white, follow the directions closely for the best results. Simply apply the first coat, then let it set for 24 hours. Then, you will be able to apply the second coat and so on until you reach the desired white pigment you want. I always applied at least 4 coats for the drums I built. Great results, then after the last coat dries for 24 hours, apply a water clear topcoat. Good luck...

Back