Methods for feeling or visualizing time?

21niko21

I was reading something the other day about playing to a metronome and the person said that ultimately you should see the light flash in your head instead of listening to the click. That made me think about playing bass (I've played bass for six years and am just a beginner drummer). When I play bass I often feel the space of rests as a weightlessness, sort of like being on a trampoline. When I drum I listen to the click and count. How do you guys feel or visualize the time when drumming?

I visualize a dotted line on the highway, like when you're driving at night. The lines pass me on the click. The tempo is how fast I'm driving. "Duke of Earl" is about 55mph BTW, if your speedometer ever breaks. The visualization lets me see ahead better than just the beep, and I can see the fills and changes approaching.

I visualize a dotted line on the highway, like when you're driving at night. The lines pass me on the click. The tempo is how fast I'm driving. "Duke of Earl" is about 55mph BTW, if your speedometer ever breaks. The visualization lets me see ahead better than just the beep, and I can see the fills and changes approaching.

I do that too, but always saw it as a sort of river or stream I'm following.

Visualisation is fine, but in the end it's about your ears. You won't be seeing the time on stage under normal circumstances, nor will you be able to see everything your bandmates are playing. To me, part of working with a metronome is about learning how to place your notes where you want them so you can adapt to what you're hearing in real time when performing. Moreover, if you ever have to read a chart, the visual part of your brain is going to be occupied anyway.

I think that vocalising subdivisions to fill the space between clicks is a much better practice than visualisation. But that's just me.

Whatever works.

I was trying the dotted line and railroad tracks. The railroad tracks were way to hectic...

Very good points Boomka. When you say vocalizing the subdivisions are you talking about counting them out loud. Like 1-trip-let 2-trip-let or are you talking about something else like saying 'dig a chik a' for 16ths?

Visualizing time doesn't happen in my head, I rely on my ears all the way, 100%. If I could, I'd close my eyes while I play. Closing your eyes frees up a ton of brainpower that was being used to process visual images. I hear better with my eyes closed, and my mind is quieter with my eyes closed. No distractions. But I really need to keep my eyes open. I close them during transitions, so I can feel easier and place the notes the very best I can.

Metronomes are the only thing I know that can teach what perfect meter sounds like. That's my method, play everything at practice to a click.

I certainly don't visualize time. I guess I feel the time in my head somewhere between there and my kick pedal. I suppose the best way to describe it would be to say that I always know where the ones are. I don't play to a metronome, nor have I ever practiced to a metronome, except a few rudiments here and there. Somehow through lots of practice, I've developed pretty decent time and I never have complaints about it, but it's hard to say how I keep time because I don't even really think about it. Of course, I'm not playing prog music either.

In my own concept of time, visualizing time would actually be a step away from being fully in the time. I am making music (sound) and the time is an aural not a visual thing.

If you are visualizing the time then you had to hear it first, no?

If you are hearing it, then you are there already, there is no need to add something in between you and the sound.

I use visualizing as a practice tool. I visualize shapes as a means of getting around the drumset. It's a valid technique.

I just don't see how visualizing time could help me hear it better, however.

A good place to start is to work on the ability to play all of the different subdivisions against a click. Learn how the triplets feel different from the 16ths etc.

This ability to subdivide the pulse is at the heart of timekeeping.

I have a tendency to play ahead of the beats. This makes the entire band rush because everyone else listens to the drums as the centre.

Recently, I started to visual the clicks or the beats not as dots, but as humps, and consciously reminding myself to play at the end of the humps, not at the start. I think I start seeing improvements.

Visualisation is fine, but in the end it's about your ears. You won't be seeing the time on stage under normal circumstances, nor will you be able to see everything your bandmates are playing. To me, part of working with a metronome is about learning how to place your notes where you want them so you can adapt to what you're hearing in real time when performing. Moreover, if you ever have to read a chart, the visual part of your brain is going to be occupied anyway.

I think that vocalising subdivisions to fill the space between clicks is a much better practice than visualisation. But that's just me.

Whatever works.

In my own concept of time, visualizing time would actually be a step away from being fully in the time. I am making music (sound) and the time is an aural not a visual thing.

If you are visualizing the time then you had to hear it first, no?

If you are hearing it, then you are there already, there is no need to add something in between you and the sound.

I use visualizing as a practice tool. I visualize shapes as a means of getting around the drumset. It's a valid technique.

I just don't see how visualizing time could help me hear it better, however.

A good place to start is to work on the ability to play all of the different subdivisions against a click. Learn how the triplets feel different from the 16ths etc.

This ability to subdivide the pulse is at the heart of timekeeping.

That's pretty much where I'm coming from too, Jeff. For me, it's all about my hearing and proprioception. Sound and movement.

Back