Hardware case with individual compartments?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Just wondering if anyone knows of a rolling case to put cymbal stands into that would have square compartments inside to keep the stands from banging/scratching against each other.
Seems to me that some stands running close to a hundred dollars apiece, this may be a good idea?

I too had the same concerns. I use this hardware bag from Stagg for smaller gigs. It has 6 compartments that are wide enough for thicker stands. You could stick it in a SKB Hardware case, which might be a little overkill. It would insulate all your stands though. They're about $45?.

http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/spsb_set_6.html?backp=1

I'm trying to remember if my memory locks prevented some long cymbal stands from completely going into the sleeves. I might have had to separate pieces to fit in the sleeves. Wrap with T shirts if that's the case...

Thanks, that seems like a good idea for the stands in a soft bag configuration. I imagine there's a case company that makes a rolling hard case that has separate compartments for stands somewhere. Maybe something for trade shows or other types of stands.

It would be almost impossible to mass produce such a case. The biggest problem is how big do you make each space? Everyone breaks down/stores there stands differently. And even if you do break it down, the stands themselves are different sizes with the legs folded up. So you would either have a case with spaces too large and pieces bouncing around or a case with spaces that are too small which doesn't do anyone any good....

It would be almost impossible to mass produce such a case. The biggest problem is how big do you make each space? Everyone breaks down/stores there stands differently. And even if you do break it down, the stands themselves are different sizes with the legs folded up. So you would either have a case with spaces too large and pieces bouncing around or a case with spaces that are too small which doesn't do anyone any good....

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I did notice one time where a drummer had just unpacked his gear and in his SKB Hardware trap case was a blanket. I imagine he insulates his stands with this. Heck, the price of some the cases are almost the same price as the drums nowadays...good investment though...

I was thinking the same thing. It would have to have a larger size compartments, so it would necessarily waste space when you put in smaller stands. One option would be adjustable dividers but these would get chewed up with use as stands are very hard on anything else in the case with them.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I did notice one time where a drummer had just unpacked his gear and in his SKB Hardware trap case was a blanket. I imagine he insulates his stands with this. Heck, the price of some the cases are almost the same price as the drums nowadays...good investment though...

It is common to spend 20 to 50 percent of the cost of the drum for a good case. The higher end would be for custom-made cases and I have a few of those for hand percussion items.

It is common to spend 20 to 50 percent of the cost of the drum for a good case. The higher end would be for custom-made cases and I have a few of those for hand percussion items.

$450 x 20% = $90 (SKB 14 x 6.5 hardcase) just purchased for Tama Stewart Copeland Snare.

Back