Evans Genara HD Dry tuning

HMNY

Silver Member
Hi, I stuck an Evans Genara HD Dry batter head on my snare at the w/e, the drum is a yamaha steel snare, 14 by 6 1/2 inches deep, I wanted to get a fatter less pingy sound as I already have another pingy steel snare. having read a lot of good feed back about the HDD I jumped in.

I took the snare apart, gave it a good clean, and have set the snare side at a tension of 80, with 75 around the snare bed, and started by tuning the batter to around 80, then have tuned the head to itself, to the best of my abilities, I'm still getting a bit of a ping, which I thought I would not, and the sound doesn't feel that "fat", still a little boxy.

Does anyone have experience in tuning these heads, any tips or tricks you could impart?

Many Thanks

Even the HD Dry isn't going to completely dry out the ring of a steel shell snare; that's just how a steel snare sounds.

If the drum sounds boxy I'd try tuning the snare side up a bit more to get a crisper snare response.

Thanks Mr Wolf, I did as you suggested, and it does sound better.

Now, I wonder if you could help with this nasty mess I have in the back seat of my car.........

I never tried it on a steel snare, but on my Yamaha Oak snare, I got a nice fat crack to it. One of the best heads I've ever played, both practicing and recording.

Most all tunings worked for it.

I put the Evans Genera dry on my vintage acrolite. It is the best move that I have made! On an aluminum drum, I have great sensitivity and great crispness. It will not sound the same on a steel drum, but will take a lot of ring out of it. If you like the ring, a single ply coated head is a good alternative.

Definitely works well with my PDP ACE 14 x 6 1/2 NOB. Tames it down just enough, but still has a little ring to remind me it's brass. I've got it cranked pretty tight, nice phat sound.
It's tuned to an E on the reso, and D on the batter.

I also have one on a Tama Artwood Maple 13 x 6 1/2. This one is really cranked too.

IMO, these heads have to be cranked to the point of eruption to get a nice, crisp, phat sound. I swear if I put a needle into my heads they would explode...

Back