18" Remo Rings

I have no idea if they do or don't Brian....but suppose they don't, then all hope is not lost. In days of old, before these rings were specifically made and marketed. "Richie rings" were made by guys cutting up old heads......hence where the idea for these things came from........very shortly followed by the idea to charge top dollar for them. You can always make your own by cutting out an old 18" head.

I have no idea if they do or don't Brian....but suppose they don't, then all hope is not lost. In days of old, before these rings were specifically made and marketed. "Richie rings" were made by guys cutting up old heads......hence where the idea for these things came from........very shortly followed by the idea to charge top dollar for them. You can always make your own by cutting out an old 18" head.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. Won't look as good but it'll work.

btw, the rings are what takes that really deep (hurts my ears) resonating sound out when you hit a floor, right? I'm having trouble tuning my drums. I know that the resonating and constant snare rattling won't just disappear by throwing rings on....but I'm trying to find a nice middle ground between the cardboard box sound and the really deep, long lasting one.

Who? The people who look at my kit lol.

How many people are likely to stand behind you as you're playing, just to see your home made richie ring?

They should be in front of you, whoopin' it up on the dance floor, with your richie rings firmly outta sight and outta mind. :)

Last edited:
What's your current head combo batter and reso on that drum?

Who? The people who look at my kit lol.

Use a Powerstroke3 head, where the richie ring is built "onto" an Ambassador head ..... or ..... in making a "homemade" richie ... cut the mylar off at the metal hoop. Then it will be long enough to tuck under your batter head .... between the bearing edge and the batter head. People seeing it will have to be crawling inside your floor tom to do so.

Like Harry said a PS3 would be a good choice or if you like 2 ply heads the PS4

The advantage to using separate rings, as opposed to a PS3 with a built-in ring, is that you can take the ring off when you're playing out unmiked. I always prefer muffling stuff you can remove.

Back