BLISTERS

M

Mike_In_KC

My daughter has two huge blisters, one on the bottom of each big toe. She is a ballet dancer and is in the middle of try-outs. We bought her new shoes that helped a lot but she is still in a lot of discomfort. We have band aids on her toes but does anyone have any home remedies they have used on blisters? When I played baseball in high school we used to use super glue on blisters that we would get on our throwing hands but I don't know if that is a wise move or not - seems not....

MM

Don't know if it would work here but for hiking we'd use a strip of duct tape over the affected area after popping the blister (just puncturing with a sterilized pin to drain the fluid and leaving the skin in place). OTOH my wife tried this with XC skiing and didn't have much luck with it. I think it depends on exactly where the blister is and if you can get a nice smooth flow of tape over it.

Yeah, I've found that the best was is to drain it and cover it with some sort of snug bandage. If it's an area that won't take a bandage well, I would definitely super glue it. That's my go to for most cuts.

Don't know if it would work here but for hiking we'd use a strip of duct tape over the affected area after popping the blister (just puncturing with a sterilized pin to drain the fluid and leaving the skin in place). OTOH my wife tried this with XC skiing and didn't have much luck with it. I think it depends on exactly where the blister is and if you can get a nice smooth flow of tape over it.

Thanks Jim - will check it out and see if it works - I imagine it would hurt when you pull the tape off though...

Yeah, I've found that the best was is to drain it and cover it with some sort of snug bandage. If it's an area that won't take a bandage well, I would definitely super glue it. That's my go to for most cuts.

Thanks TC - I hate to go the super glue route on my baby (she is only 173 months old) but it may be our best option...

Do you have a product called Compeed? They're plasticky patches that you put over the blister, soft enough to mould to the required shape but tough enough to stop the blister being touched, if you see what I mean.

Thanks TC - I hate to go the super glue route on my baby (she is only 173 months old) but it may be our best option...

When you said her age in reference to months, I got worried at first.

Whew!

Definitely wouldn't put super glue on a small child. But after I did some math, I was relieved.

I think she'll be fine. I was using super glue around that age.

Do you have a product called Compeed? They're plasticky patches that you put over the blister, soft enough to mould to the required shape but tough enough to stop the blister being touched, if you see what I mean.

I have not heard of it Madge but will scour the CVS site to see if they carry it or a similar product. Thank you for the reply!

MM

That sounds similar to Dr.Scholls mole skin.You just a circle out of the middle,and it prevents the blister from contacting anything.But I also recomend draining it with a sterilized pin.As a long time scoutmaster and hiker/backpacker,I've had my fair share of blisters.

Steve B

Do you know the source? New shoes, new routine etc. May help to eliminate the source.

Do you know the source? New shoes, new routine etc. May help to eliminate the source.

Yes I discovered the source - kind of late however. Her jazz shoes, the ones she was using for the auditions were almost completely worn out under both big toes and heals. Of course she tells me after the blisters were already there. Apparently she told me two weeks ago that she needed new jazz shoes and I forgot. Tough kid though - both of her heels and the bottom of both big toes were all blistered but she made it through auditions and appears to have made JV as an incoming freshman. Of course I will hear about the shoe thing for several years - if my daughter is anything like her mother :)

Ever seen the feet of a pro ballet dancer?...seems the sacrifice of the trade....along with being a smoker and having a tendency to malnutrition.

I suggest you guide your child to proper health practices...and have her wait until it heals.

Ever seen the feet of a pro ballet dancer?...seems the sacrifice of the trade....along with being a smoker and having a tendency to malnutrition.

I suggest you guide your child to proper health practices...and have her wait until it heals.

I have not had the opportunity to view a pro ballet dancer's feet. She has several weeks to heal now that auditions are over.

I am going to guess that you don't have children do you Otto? :)

Thanks for the advice - it is appreciated.

MM

No children here...and am green with envy!

I hate to be part of any chorus that suggests encouragement of unhealthy practices...especially for young ones....but I think I understand wanting with all that is in your power to enable the dreams of those you love....even in the face of enabeling suffering.

Hope she did well!

Back