Controlled Chaos: songs

deeby

I think a great example of controlled chaos in a song is Beastie Boys' Sabotage, and I can't really explain what I mean more than to point at that song and say 'there it is'. The drums...so loose, sometimes behind the beat, sometimes on, sometimes ahead...contribute a lot to the feeling of just about going to lose control. The guitar, vocals, it's just perfect. Almost pure joy is what I get from this song, even to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Do you have an example of a song that exhibits controlled chaos?

Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots. Everyone is playing so loose and so far behind the beat you would think that they would be all over the place.

When we tried to play that in a cover band I was in a few years ago, I couldn't convince the others that they had to lay back behind the beat and every time we played it, it was like they were all racing to the finish line at the end of the song!

Anything with Keith Moon, of course. All of In God We Trust, Inc, by the Dead Kennedys. Maybe some of Mitch Mitchell with Hendrix. I'm just talking about the drumming performances. All of the Butthole Surfers records with two drummers. On The Doors' The End John Densmore tries to cop an Elvin thing.

There's a lot more of it in jazz than in rock, actually-- Elvin Jones, Jack Dejohnette, Tony Williams, Paul Motian, Art Blakey, Brian Blade, Joey Baron, Roy Haynes-- they all have a chaotic edge at times, which I like.

Ah yes, the less-polished songs that will never find their place on top 100's these days.

• I'd say just about anything by the Kinks. Sloppy, energetic goodness.
  • I love the vibe of "Ooh La La" by The Faces. Not a piano tuner in sight, but who freakin' cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HaFAtC17U
  • A lot of old-school punk has a great vibe to it too. No click tracks and minimal (if any) overdubs.

I totally get what you're saying. I love songs that are more organic, and there's something refreshing about listening to music that's just one step from coming completely off the rails.

Sonny Rollins- East Broadway Rundown
Sonny Sharrock- Ask The Ages

John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams - Trio Of Doom. The whole record...

Back