Sorry

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Hey guys, just wanted to say sorry I have been absent for so long. Had a bit of a crisis of faith in my drumming as I didn't manage to progress to university (failed on my composition theory submission twice :'( ). So I basically spent 2 months utterly hating myself, packing down my drum kit and basically not being a stable person. Well now I am healthy enough to begin helping out around here again, and I have also joined a blues band (my first band in years as most of my time has been product demonstration and session work). And just plan on getting a day job now ready to move to the netherlands in 2 years to live with my fiance (plan is still going ahead, bit of a spanner in the works that I will be a fair bit poorer but I will still get that dream life of having a family and living in the netherlands with a band on the side lines. Perfection in my eyes. Back to upkeeping on the blog as well. So I shall be doing my best to share my advice again, should keep me happy :p But I do have a request, what are the best Blues drummers to look out for? I am mainly a Jazz man so I would like advice from this part? Thanks :)

All I can think of is a quote from the movie "Batman Begins",when Alfred who's Bruce Waynes long time man Friday,confidant and friend says"why do we fall Master Wayne"....?

"So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again".

Sometimes,you just have to"cowboy up".Nicely done.

Steve B

Welcome back. Hope you are able to adapt to the change in plans. Life always seems to throw curveballs.

Good luck on your new endeavors.

All I can think of is a quote from the movie "Batman Begins",when Alfred who's Bruce Waynes long time man Friday,confidant and friend says"why do we fall Master Wayne"....?

"So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again".

Sometimes,you just have to"cowboy up".Nicely done.

Steve B

I might have something in my eye after reading that, Steve!

OP, I am the most ignorant drummer ever so I can't help you with your specific request, but I'm sure that you'll do everything possible to make everything happen for you. Things do have a way of working out. This time last year, a good friend of mine failed to get on to a teaching course. Now he is touring Europe with his new band, and barely scratching the surface of what might come his way. Keep the faith!

Sometimes things just don't work out the way we have them mapped out in our minds. But there's still something that you can take away from the experience. I don't think there's ever such thing as a failure without a silver lining somewhere. Besides, domesticated life is actually pretty cool, too. My family is the most precious thing I'll ever have.

Blues drummers....they get a pretty bad rap sometimes. My two favorites are Chris Layton--really solid pocket player, exactly what you need to make a blues work. He's kinda like the Phil Rudd of blues drumming, IMO. Tom Brechtlein did some really good stuff with Robben Ford on album or two. He's a little more technical, but he still plays a solid groove with a little bit of latin flavor tossed in. And of course don't overlook the great Steve Jordan. He's backed up some great blues guitarists, including Robben Ford and John Mayer.

Good luck!

There are many drummers to check out. Fred Below, Sonny Freeman, SP Leary, Chris Layton, and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith for starters. You will find their playing on old stuff by BB King, Howlin' Wolf, Junior Wells, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, SRV, etc.

There are quite a few threads on here discussing this. I know, I started one of them....

Do a search for "blues drums" or "blues drumming". You will get a long list of drummers to check out.

Thanks guys :) Always feel welcome on this forum.

Tanks Karl :) I love reading your posts, always full of info and the reason I got the snares and kits I currently have :)

Hey Vince, because I was not on when you joined allow me to say hey and welcome to DW :)

Steve B, wise words from a wise man, another person I love to listen to. Again, thank you very much and I am doing my best to man up, bit of a toughie as I have a father saying "told you so" about music not carrying me through uni....

IDD, thanks man! :)

Magenta, I don't think you are an ignorant drummer, you post quite often and I read them, though I still am confused if you are female or male.... (SORRY!!!). But I enjoy reading what you post and also think you are very intelligent in drum knowledge.

Fool, thanks! Looking up Chris Layton right now!

Brady, thanks man!

Hope it's not too much to ask, I am unsure what snare to use? I use mostly brushes or brush and one stick. I have the following snares:
Pearl Masters with calfskin heads 14x6.5
1930s Boosey & Hawkes Brass 13.5x5 (took to local store and they can't figure out if it is seamless or not. There is a dark patch in a line but nothing that looks like an actual seam) with coated control sound batter (the head is now broken as it had to be bent over the shell as I couldn't wait for a 13.5 head from remo, but tunes perfectly well still) over ambassador coated reso.
PDP/DW Bubinga/Maple 20ply 14x6.5 snare
Traps a400 12" snare
1800s signal drum 10"
Albermore 14x5 4ply beech snare with re-rings.

Though I would give my albermore or even my 1930s brass snare for a single ply snare :(

Thanks guys :) Always feel welcome on this forum(

Good.

Oh I really am ignorant, by the way. No need to be kind to me, but it's very nice of you, thanks!

The right thing will happen. Parents only ever want their children to be happy. Speaking as a parent, we don't always realise what will make our children happy. Be kind to us - and do what you need to do.

Magenta, I'm sure you mean well and all. But my god you are so ignorant it isn't even funny!

StaggerLee, check out this Remo Skyntone head for brushes.
I haven't used one of these yet, but seeing it at the shop, it seems like an awesome head for brushes, and slankier sound than regular heads. It's got a deeper tone tapping it than some of the other heads like this.

Might sound cool on some of your snares.
Too bad they use sticks in the vid....

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/8/752/ds_skyntone.html

Magenta, I'm sure you mean well and all. But my god you are so ignorant it isn't even funny!

Gosh, what have I ever done to you to give you the right to say something like that? It's certainly true that I have as little knowledge of music as you apparently have of common courtesy, but at least I am taking steps to educate myself.

StaggerLee, check out this Remo Skyntone head for brushes.
I haven't used one of these yet, but seeing it at the shop, it seems like an awesome head for brushes, and slankier sound than regular heads. It's got a deeper tone tapping it than some of the other heads like this.

Might sound cool on some of your snares.
Too bad they use sticks in the vid....

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/8/752/ds_skyntone.html

Hey Karl, I did try these but they didn't really have any of the qualities of my calfskin that I used side by side with it.... In fact no drum head I have ever played has been anything like calfskin heads, sound or texture. In all honesty the closest I have used is aquarian modern vintage and that has been it... it is a real shame as I hate forking out £60 or so for a single drum head then sitting at the back of a venue with a hairdryer on to make it sound good... but hey, what we do for our passion eh? The one snare I want most of all happens to sell for ludicrous money over in the UK compared to US, I want an acrolite, id give my 1930s or my albermore for one of those beauties....

Good to know about that head. It seemed like it would be pretty cool, but, if it's kind of average, or pppffft sounding, then I'll try something else.

Good luck in getting your Acro, they are great drums.
The new 6.5 became a fast favorite--as soon as I hit it haha!
My original one is a 1975-76, and the new ones sound just like it with the Brushed finish.
I'd wanted/wished for a 6.5 version of that snare since I was a kid (now I have it!).

I had a 6.5 Blackrolite, and didn't care for it too much. The Brushed shell blows it away, so when you go for one in the future, you could get a new re-issue (either size) and be assured it's going to have that Acro sound.
The older, smoother Silver finished one's are great too (with the small Keystone badge, and baseball bat tone control), but are more money than average.
The version I wouldn't bother with are the Grey powder coated shells.

I would want an older one, knackered and looking terrible but still sounding great. I don't care for appearance, just want that luddy sound to compliment my luddy kit.

Buy a new one...drop it down the stairs. Instant knackering. You're welcome. :)

Back