Playin for free

As a youth and with assorted project bands, I've done my share of gigs knowing they were free or that we probably wouldn't make anything off the door. But in the last 20 years or so, I recall only one gig for free. It was for an "audition" at a popular club in order to get future work there. All the bands did it, including our bass player's side band (who were booked a lot after their audition.) I was very reluctant, but the entire band agreed to go for it. We played one set, all felt we did great, and of course never got called back. This was about 2 years ago.

Not to sound mercernary, but I make my living as a musician, and getting paid to play is what I do. That's not to say that every time I sit behind the drums, I expect to get paid. If I sit-in somewhere or hang at the local jam, obviously I'm playing for free, but it's also for fun, and on my terms. Also, the occasional rehearsal isn't paid, however it is connected with paid work and is considered the cost of doing business (of course I write off the mileage!) But would I pack up my gear, haul it somewhere, and play in front of people for free? Not if I can possibly avoid it. At least throw me a meal and gas money, my time and talent is worth something! Well, at least my time is.

Bermuda

I've put my foot down on "playing for free". You either get 1) treated poorly, or 2) nobody is there to hear you play.

I've quit a band because they played for free too many times. The last straw with the band I was in for almost 2 years was I loaded in my kit, drove for 45 minutes across town unloaded, played for 2 hours, loaded back up, and drove home 45 minutes, and unloaded the kit. The venue didn't advertise us, nobody even knew we were there. I got no compensation for gas money, etc. Just a "gee thanks, y'all sounded great" from the venue manager.

I was going to audition for another jazz / swing band because I liked their sound. Then I was informed they play about 1/2 to 2/3 of their gigs for free for "exposure" or "charity".

I don't mind a charity event once or twice a year, but to play for free too often cheapens it for everyone who tries to make some money from playing. Soon the band gets the reputation of playing for free and then it's all over $$-wise. Not even comp for gas money.

My band will do charity gigs, but usually we do something one of us is personally connected to in some way. A couple years ago, we did a benefit to raise money for cancer research on behalf of a family the band knows who lost a child to the disease.

Just a couple months ago, we did a benefit for a community garden that I participate in. We've always been treated well and get food and drink for free. Another nice perk is that it makes it very easy to ask the organizers for a helping hand in booking other gigs, like providing a recommendation. We asked the organizer of the garden benefit to write a nice blurb about our band and she did so gladly.

I've put my foot down on "playing for free". You either get 1) treated poorly, or 2) nobody is there to hear you play.

I've quit a band because they played for free too many times. The last straw with the band I was in for almost 2 years was I loaded in my kit, drove for 45 minutes across town unloaded, played for 2 hours, loaded back up, and drove home 45 minutes, and unloaded the kit. The venue didn't advertise us, nobody even knew we were there. I got no compensation for gas money, etc. Just a "gee thanks, y'all sounded great" from the venue manager.

I was going to audition for another jazz / swing band because I liked their sound. Then I was informed they play about 1/2 to 2/3 of their gigs for free for "exposure" or "charity".

I don't mind a charity event once or twice a year, but to play for free too often cheapens it for everyone who tries to make some money from playing. Soon the band gets the reputation of playing for free and then it's all over $$-wise. Not even comp for gas money.

Heh, Rogue, with your luck playing gigs, I would definitely NOT accept anything for free! I'm not sure they could pay me enough to put up with some of the bad luck that's come your way!

I realize I've done one other gig about 20 years ago that was a benefit without pay, but 1) first-class airfare and accomodations were provided and 2) it was a major concert production with several big names of the day performing and MC'ing (Gloria Estefan, Asia, Julio Iglesias, Paul Simon, Whoopi Goldberg, Jimmy Buffett, Bee Gees et al.) The exposure was too good to pass up, and because it was televised, we ended up getting scale anyway. :)

Bermuda

Heh, Rogue, with your luck playing gigs, I would definitely NOT accept anything for free! I'm not sure they could pay me enough to put up with some of the bad luck that's come your way!

Haha! Good one! I'm learning humility, that's for sure! lol :)

Last edited:
I play at church twice a week for free.

As far as our new blues band, we will play a gig if at least one of the following conditions are met (two would be better, and all three would be great).

1. It will further the band's reputation.
2. It will be fun.
3. It pays well.

We have our first gig tomorrow night, and it seems as though all three conditions will be met. Peace and goodwill.

Here in Vancouver it's pathetic how many clubs take advantage of the over supply of bands ,and will play for pass the hat,or drinks.If you don't like it there's 10 more bands waiting to play for free.
Of course I come from the days of the 6 nighters,shows my age!!

The jazz band that I play in does many free gigs a year.
We do breast cancer benefits and drives for families that need help with obtaining food.
It makes me feel good when I see the thousands of dollars that are raised at these events and I know that I helped to raise it.
I have a day job that pays well and music is my hobby.
I don't do it for money.
I am in my mid fifties and I have learned that there is more to life than money even though it doesn't seem that way sometimes.
I do admit that I felt differently when I was younger.

I play at church twice a week for free.

As far as our new blues band, we will play a gig if at least one of the following conditions are met (two would be better, and all three would be great).

1. It will further the band's reputation.
2. It will be fun.
3. It pays well.

We have our first gig tomorrow night, and it seems as though all three conditions will be met. Peace and goodwill.

Good luck - hope the gig turns out great! Sounds like you are in a similar situation as I am.

What type of music are you playing at church?

We play free benefit shows several times a year and don't mind them at all as we just like to play any chance we get. However one we did recently turned into a major annoyance. We were asked to play at a Salvation Army fundraiser event at our town's Civic Center. A big crowd was expected and the Civic Center is very well designed acoustically with a large stage, so we were looking forward to the gig. Well it turned out that they just booked small meeting room at the Civic Center. Before we even started playing we were told to play at a low volume and then asked to turn down a couple of other times. We are an Americana band with mandolin, fiddle, acoustic guitar, bass and a small drum kit. So we are never very loud to begin with. We were very annoyed but kept playing. They booked a band while all they needed was a classical guitarist or something!

I guy I know who has spent the last 30 years claiming his occupation as "musician" (never mind all his side jobs and that his wife basically supports the family) said something I thought was cool: "I play for free. I get paid to bring all my equipment and show up". He said he has never considered playing work, but he did the hauling of the equipment, the driving, the practices...

I've done my share of free gigs, some for benefits, some just to have a chance to have an audience, some because I didn't know any better. Depending on the situation I will play for free. My main criteria is "Am I going to have fun?". Of course, things I thought would be fun didn't always turn out that way.

When someone asks a band to play for free...I always wanted to respond with, sure, we'll play for free. We'd love to. But you have to do something of equal value, for us, for free, in return. Fair enough? My house needs power washing, how's that?

When someone asks a band to play for free...I always wanted to respond with, sure, we'll play for free. We'd love to. But you have to do something of equal value, for us, for free, in return. Fair enough? My house needs power washing, how's that?

+1 to that haha

Fair enough, what would be everyone's "of equal value in return"? :p

+1 to that haha

Fair enough, what would be everyone's "of equal value in return"? :p

Well considering the season …

A partridge in a pear tree would be a start, or maybe the nine ladies dancing.

Still the five golden rings would be best! :)

My big band, Talk of the Town, plays for free every Tuesday night in a retirement center or nursing home. That constitutes our rehearsals. Only occasionally do we play for pay. The up side is that the freebies are deductible as a charitable donation.

I dub you Sir Zickos !! What a great thing to do.

Good luck - hope the gig turns out great! Sounds like you are in a similar situation as I am.

What type of music are you playing at church?

The gig went well for the first one. We all know we can do better. I got more compliments on my singing than my drumming! We have another gig lined up, and the place we played wants us to come back.

At church we play mostly modern paraise and worship with some older praise and worship mixed in. We rarely play hymns.

Peace and goodwill.

Back