Possibly one of the best videos I've ever seen...

Good practice for bass and keys, they have to count through all the crap.

One of the snare drums has a PINSTRIPE batter head... that's gospel.

This video looks to me like it was sped up a bit. Watch the bass player later on. Just a little too jumpy to be natural.

Nasty as hell drumming either way even if they did add 10 bpm to it.

Well, what I got from that video was a big smile and a reminder of how fun and exhilarating it is to play the drums! I love my wife every day of the year, and we have a great day to day groove, but it sure is exciting to express that love with unbridled enthusiasm from time to time.

THAT seemed to be the point of what I watched.

Over share?

I see people talk about all chops and no groove. To make it sound like this you have to groove it. That's what gospel chops are all about. Listen to the average drummer try to play fast RLK triplets. Or a RLKK sequence. It probably won't be even. Then listen to these guys do it. There is something different about how it sounds. They do it with feel and dynamic phrasing. Besides doing it at 200mph. If you can't get the phrasing, they're gonna cut you and toss you out. It has got to groove first.

Obviously a very good set, no doubt. "Best" is a reach though. Vinnie, Gadd, and Weckl at the Buddy Rich memorial concert kills this though, IMHO. That will always be the best drum "shed" to me.

Well, what I got from that video was a big smile and a reminder of how fun and exhilarating it is to play the drums! I love my wife every day of the year, and we have a great day to day groove, but it sure is exciting to express that love with unbridled enthusiasm from time to time.

THAT seemed to be the point of what I watched.

Over share?

On the contrary, I feel it is your duty to clarify in more detail exactly what you have in mind

>: D

Well, I would post the HD video compilation but I still haven't got clearances from the contortionist and the animal trainers. Until then, you'll have to trust me when I say I try to make good use of paradiddles and double stroke rolls and ALL without a click track!

Back