DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Default London Drum Show 21-22 Nov - Who's going?

Last year was a load of fun. Can't wait!

http://www.londondrumshow.com

Peter Erskine and Anika Niles announced so far.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: London Drum Show 21-22 Nov - Who's going?

I might go as a visitor this year, I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of not exhibiting for the first time since the event started. It's a decision that will be based purely on cost.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

bit far off yet but i might :)
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Well, if Anika Niles is playing, Henri is sure to be there ;)

I can't see any reason why I wouldn't go, not least to hook up with those drummy friends I wouldn't get to see otherwise, but events may conspire against me.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

just got round to booking my tickets. coming with my fiance, my student, and the legendary Chris MacKinnon from Kaine of all people!!! Might also be bringing my bassist with me haha
Old 08-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Really looking forward to this, genuinely excited
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

I'm going again, booked for the Saturday but what with the announcement of Peter Erskinen playing a clinic on the Sunday on the main stage I'm going to go to both days as I can't miss the opportunity to see him. Reminds me I must get that sorted soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I might go as a visitor this year, I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of not exhibiting for the first time since the event started. It's a decision that will be based purely on cost.
Nooooo don't do it Andy. Guru is one of the major talking points of the show. Your stand will be sorely missed.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

I wish I could.

Keep us who cant make the trip informed please!...and have a great time.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I'm going to go to both days.
Me too, and I want to see Mike Johnston as well as Peter Erskine. On my to-do list to sort out! Funnily enough, Jon, Mr Madge and I were just talking about you the other day. Our daughters are both living in London so coming to see you at Ronnie Scott's (or indeed elsewhere) would be relatively easy, work permitting, as we'd have somewhere to lay our heads. Let me know when and where you're at, will you?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I can imagine a booth is an expensive proposition. I thought last year was pretty good though there were quite a few big manufacturers who didn't bother from what I remember. Or I was looking the wrong way. Would be a shame for there to be even less small manufacturers. That's where most of the interesting stuff is happening in the industry, in my opinion. Yamaha and Pearl be what they are, you know? For instance, I was glad to get a chance to meet Andy from Dream cymbals and figure out that we had some friends in common in Toronto and also get to play his stuff alongside the bigger brands. It was a real ear opener. Not much in it between what he's producing and what some of the big brands are producing at twice the cost, at least to my ear. I'm sure others will differ. But, if he keeps at it, they'll get it sorted.

The lineup of players was great last year but the format doesn't do it for me. Something more interactive and educationally focussed would suit me better. I loved watching Carlock and Harland play but I really wanted to hear what they thought. Harland got into that a bit in answering a few questions, at least. But it still just feels like those guys are flown in to do what amounts to a great big product placement. Carlock looked typically disheveled but mentioned that he'd just rolled off a late/early flight and was pretty smashed up from the travel. He avoided saying much when it came to question time.

The on-site group lessons and such are great, however, but they're more geared to less-experienced players. It would be nice to have some food for thought for pros and semi-pros who know how to work on their hip hop beats or whatever. If you're gonna bring in Peter Erskine, pay to have the man talk and deliver some material.

I recall a DrummerLive at ExCel a few years back and all in a day I got to sit in close proximity to Neal Wilkinson, Vic Firth and a few others giving full-on educational talks. I gleaned far more from those hours than I did watching Ronald Bruner rip us all a new one on the big main stage, as awesome as that was.

Last edited by Boomka; 08-12-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Me too, and I want to see Mike Johnston as well as Peter Erskine. On my to-do list to sort out! Funnily enough, Jon, Mr Madge and I were just talking about you the other day. Our daughters are both living in London so coming to see you at Ronnie Scott's (or indeed elsewhere) would be relatively easy, work permitting, as we'd have somewhere to lay our heads. Let me know when and where you're at, will you?
Oh wow, that would be really cool to play host to you both at a show, Madge. I’d love that.

Our gigs come think and fast at times so If you want I'll PM you with my Facebook details and will send you some event invites from time to time, the Ronnie’s shows are normally on Tuesday evenings but we’re yet to set up the next one, should hopefully have one booked soon though as it’s been over a month since the last and I miss it already!.

Also, we have a monthly residence at a really great venue in London called The Finsbury. Great venue, great PA and great bar and we fill the evening with bands/artists we like- and also selfishly play a set ourselves…: ) .

A little too short notice but the next gig there is this Sunday evening (with gigs in other places in London this Friday evening and Saturday evening also, lots of gigging & recording this weekend, yay!) The evening we promote is ‘Captain Big Dog’. It's a snag we've got our own night there as it's a top venue. http://www.thefinsbury.co.uk/listing...-capell-guests

Alternatively if you prefer you can follow the bank on twitter on the below profile name. We normally keep this up to date with show info should you prefer this instead of Facebook Invites.

https://twitter.com/cookandthecase

Lots of options! :)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Fab, Jon! I don't do Twitter so FB would be great. We'd love to see you, although realistically Ronnie Scott's might be a bit difficult because of work, which tends to crop up at fairly short notice and can require us to be pretty much anywhere ... however, we do have quiet periods so it isn't out of the question.

See you in November, if not before!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Nice one Madge, will pm you with my deets shortly.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Currently reconsidering - I dunno. I can probably get in last minute, but with a substantially reduced display. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I do have some snares that would make stunning LDS special offers.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Uh... I missed this thread :(

Quote:
Quote:
Currently reconsidering - I dunno. I can probably get in last minute, but with a substantially reduced display. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I do have some snares that would make stunning LDS special offers.
I hope you can make it Andy, the LDS without a Guru stand wouldn't be the same, finger's crossed.

Quote:
Well, if Anika Niles is playing, Henri is sure to be there ;)
Hell yes... but there's also a certain Magenta that I'm very keen to meet again :)

Alongside all the other forum members and friends of course :)
Old 09-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do it, do it, do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Hell yes... but there's also a certain Magenta that I'm very keen to meet again :)
You Swiss smoothie, you! So chuffed that our "drumance" has survived these past months of separation :D

I really am going to buy my tickets in a minute.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Do reconsider! Will be less without Guru there.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

I'm thinking about it but may have to do a "Guru lite" kind of thing. I'll likely be on my own, so a scaled down affair will be in order (plus it's a lot cheaper). Will need to sell some stuff to justify it too :(
Old 09-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

To be announced tomorrow by London Drum Show - Guru are there :)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Me :) bringing friends this time which is a shocker! But il be back, so will that jacket :)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Wahey! Great stuff.

I've recently changed my day to the Sunday so I can catch Peter Erskine. Very tempted to make the Saturday too. If it means a beer or two with you fine folk again in the evening, although why I would put my ears through two full days I don't know....

(Gospel Chop nightmares in the run up)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Yeah... everything is as it should be, I mean a LDS without a Guru stand? C'mon... :)

Quote:
...although why I would put my ears through two full days I don't know....
Love my friend... we all know about your gospel chops love :)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Yeah... everything is as it should be, I mean a LDS without a Guru stand? C'mon... :)

Love my friend... we all know about your gospel chops love :)
If you can't beat them, join them

*goes off to practice chops*
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

No idea if I can make it this year. A bit of 'personal upheaval' may prevent me! I'd like to though.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

We're putting up a modest display this year in terms of stand (booth) size, but lots of new stuff to see, including a very cool new Origin series kit & a 6 piece Tour series zebrano kit. Also featuring will be the new ultra light version of the In-Tense series snares (as if they weren't already light enough), & some pretty damn tempting show special offer snares.

Someone's twisted Yolanda's arm to run the after party jam night again. It's always exciting to see which uber players she's bringing to that gig. Don't know if we'll be supplying drums for that yet.

I can also reveal that a new British drum company will be launched at the event too. Some of you may find that very interesting. First press release comes out this Friday, & I expect this venture to gain some serious traction. I know the people involved, & I wish them well in their venture. Can't say more for now ;)
Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Update:

Chatted with Yolanda the other day. This year's after party location has changed from the Albion pub to the much bigger upstairs bar in the Hand & Flower (although that's meant to be an industry secret - oops ;). This is great news, as the Albion was just way too small for this popular event.

Confirmed for the house jam band to date is Jack Pollitt on drums http://sakaedrums.com/en/artists/jack_pollitt/ (superb player), Rob Harris from Jamiroquai on 6 string plank, & of course, the sublime Yolanda Charles on bass. More players to be announced = stacking up to be a fabulous night. Y'never know, I might actually get drunk enough to have a tickle myself ;)

Of course, this is invite only.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Well, if I'm in the country I may try to get down. Not been to London for too long.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart61 View Post
Well, if I'm in the country I may try to get down. Not been to London for too long.
You really should! The show itself is one thing - bring earplugs - but the absolute very bestest thing is that we all get to meet/see each other and have a good laff. Can't believe it's almost a year since I last saw everybody except Andy.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You really should! The show itself is one thing - bring earplugs - but the absolute very bestest thing is that we all get to meet/see each other and have a good laff. Can't believe it's almost a year since I last saw everybody except Andy.
I'll do my bestest, Madge. Honest...

:)
Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll do my bestest, Madge. Honest...

You can get a free lesson with Anika Nilles - does that help? ;) ;) ;)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You can get a free lesson with Anika Nilles - does that help? ;) ;) ;)
I'll be there. Does she cater much for noobs?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll be there. Does she cater much for noobs?

I assume so. She's taking a large class in the new education zone on the Sunday. Around 60 Ekits I believe - expect fights ;)
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

im far more interested in the audience with nick mason, cant care much for anika.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
im far more interested in the audience with nick mason, cant care much for anika.
That's what my Daughter said last year at the LDS :)
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

*hint* if you want him to smile, talk about cars! Lol its the only way i managed it.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

Anyone know how you book a space at the education zone?

Can't seem to find any information on the website. Assumed last year it was a free for all, but got kicked off an E-Kit shortly before a class as I hadn't pre booked/wasn't down on the register.

Confused!

If it's a free for all this year I'll happily start practising some wrestling moves though.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Anyone know how you book a space at the education zone?

Can't seem to find any information on the website. Assumed last year it was a free for all, but got kicked off an E-Kit shortly before a class as I hadn't pre booked/down on the register.

Confused!
I'll find out for you.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'll find out for you.
Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

(I'll start practising some takedown moves just incase)
Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Last year you had to go to the drummer magazine stand (same place you go to get free tickets to the main stage and live shows) and book it there. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

That's great, thank you!