DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-23-2010, 03:54 AM

Default double strainer snare

hi guys!
how do you feel about a double strainer snare (like dave weckl's), what is the double strainer used for?
thx!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: double strainer snare

Hi,
Dave Weckl's basic idea for the double strainer, was to have two different sounding snares, to be able to choose one sound or the other on the spot, as well as being able to use both at the same time. I've never tried it though, so I won't express any opinion based on experience, but that sounds like a good idea!

Best regards
Alain
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

I think they're really cool, too. There are those that like their snare wires tight and those (like me) that prefer them loose. The problem with tight is that the snare feels choked or stiff, and with loose it can lack definition.

Weckl saw the benefits for doing both and asked Yamaha to make him the double strainer snare so he could try it. It seems to work; I love his snare sound. I've never seen him do a clinic before, but I've read where others have seen him demonstrating each set of snares individually and then combined. The effect is pretty cool. I'd love to have one, but they're kinda spendy; I'd sooner get a Black Beauty (maybe after that, though!).

There are other multiple snare wire snares out there, but I think their primary application is more symphonic than drumset.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 PM
PermaNoob

I've played on the pearl symphonic triple system
it was pretty neat.-- but like Mike said and the name implies - it's target application is a bit different (there are 3 different species of snares on it coated cable, wire cable and, "snappy" coils anf they are relatively sparse, like 6-8 strands each)

That being said What I DID find the most useful for me* was maybe like the Weckl concept a little. I found you could set the snappy coils up for a bigger sound with lots of snare artifacts ringing and set the wire coils up for a drier, more sensitive attack-heavy snare sound. Changing the tension could really change the balance of the two and I did find them to interact. If, for instance, you put a little more tension on the cable, you could use it to "dry up" /choke the coils if you wanted sort of a drier "precision" type sound with still some coil "bigness' to it".
It seemed like there was a lot of tonal variation with not just one "sweet spot"

now, it was a symphonic snare, so I don't think the sound would be satisfyingly big enough for someone primarily interested in rock backbeats and such (I think it got a little lost in the kit sound in those terms).
But maybe if you were really heavy into lots of snare figures, it'd work out.

I think the multi-strainer concept is cool though and would love to get a double strainer system as soon as I could justify one by, say, being able to play my way out of a paper bag

* Now I'm barely a drummer, so I can't comment on a lot of the aspects authoritatively OTOH I was checking it out for the sound and what I found neat to play on.
So just take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

As a parts option, the YAMAHA (Weckl) double strainer set-up (8 lug) as a custom snare piece, or retro-fit, is actually pretty cheap-- under $100 Though you would also need the bottom hoop which has lug ears in the middle of the snare gates, not sure of the price on the hoop.

Here's a vid of the Weckl snare

Last edited by Les Ismore; 07-20-2010 at 04:39 AM.