Lars Ulrich

I dig Rick Ruben.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with being good at only one thing.

He kicks ass for metal. That is what Metallica needs to get back to. Ever since the black album with Bob Rock, they became Bon Jovi part 2.

Rick Ruben might make the little boys become men again.

I was watching my bootleg concert of Metallica from the MOP tour at a small club last night. Jason Newstead's first gig. They were really great back then.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
Of course there's no way he could be worse than Rock. I cannot stand Bob Rock.

I fully agree, i can't stand that guy either.

I thought Rick Rubin has produced lots of non metal albums too?

He probably did. It just seems to me he seems big in only the one genre.

VampiricNightMachine said:
Does he really have to practice his doulbe bass? have you already seen him live and did he mess up a little? Well I think I have heard that in the old days of metallica he often had to warm up for a long time for being able to play some songs with fast double bass but is this still the case?
I have also heard they have never played dyer´s eve live, is this true? (great song and pretty fast double bass)

I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6qVE&search=The Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc

tambian89 said:
I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6qVE&search=The Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc

What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!

I think tambian is right.

If he has it on his set, I haven't heard him use it.

I guess Lars is doing really horrible technically now.

I was watching one of Dave Lombardo's drum clinics and he stated that Lars isn't drumming really well now. That is one of the reasons he and Joey played live with Metallica.

Also, Dave was cool about it. He said that it was sad. He then gave a recollection of his troubles in 1990 and 1991. He stated that sometimes musicians go through this.

According to Dave, Lars has lots of trouble with keeping the tempo of the songs consistent.

Mike

Ulrich87 said:
What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!

not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china

infernal drummer said:
not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china

Oh.. You were talking about recent, live? Well no matter, the china he uses now makes almost the same sound as the St.anger ride.. imo
And I'd say that I like the china better:)

can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?

I disagree actually, I quite think he's done very very well with the gear he's got. Listen to 'Master of Puppets'. Whatever setup he's using there, he should go right back to it. I know he's using a Black Beauty snare there he borrowed on that album. His cymbals sound great and that was made before A or indeed Z Customs were even on the market.

I really used to love Metallica a few years ago, but I started listening again with a more critical ear. Actually, on the early albums I quite admire his playing. It's nothing to scream from the rooftops about but it fits the music perfectly.

tynn said:
can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?

Not really, sorry...

His A customs sound really great. Maybe he should get some bigger ones, but his seem to be doing fine. It's not like you can't hear them above anything else.

I play A custom too, and they sound great. but they don't fit metallica as well as i think Z custom would...

I think Lars is great, and he has been, and allways will be, a huge inspiration to me.
And i agree, i think it's crap that he's not using his granstar anymore. I mean, c'mon, how can you not love this?
oldlars21.jpg

Black and white deliciousness. I wish i had hardware like that.

NDNDrummer said:
Hi there,

Does anyone know how he performs the doubles on his bass drum.

i.e. heel toe technique? or what?

Thanks,
K

He does it straight out, fast "gravity" heel up style. ie. you use the toe to make one sound, then you lift your knee a slightly, and hits it with toes again. I use the same tecnique but it is a little difficult to explain in wrighting.. I hope this cleared it up a little though:)

Last edited:
Yeh, his drumming on ST Anger is great, apart from the Snare but you get used to it. I prefer the fat flat sounding snare he uses on his earlier albums. What really annoys me is that he has excellent bass drumming style but it is not that easy to hear on their albumns, except maybe reload and S&M. Especially when he plays song on St Anger where he alternates (very quickly I might add) the single and double with his right foot (fast parts on st anger - not the double bass)

Ulrich87 said:

I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc

tambian89 said:
I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc

how does he play the beginning of hero of the day?

Back