Help with RUSHING...

rik

Hi there.....i'm in need of some advice due to my habit of rushing when playing tempos over the 120bpm mark....
I have been recording myself alot recently and this is a bad habit i have and i NEED to sort this out!!
Any advice would be much appreciated.....thankyou very much.

rik.

Practice the beats to a metronome until the required speed for the song is the natural tempo you play it at.

One thing I do to avoid rushing or dragging is to listen to, and be in tune with, the other instruments and voices, and their phrasing in the song. When you rush, they sound rushed. When you drag, they sound like they're dragging. You can learn to listen and internalize everyone's tempo as the song's tempo, not just your tempo on the drums. This also helps you to serve the song and the other players in the band. (I often hum back or sing the song to myself for a few bars before I click the band in, this helps set the tempo in my head.)

Speaking of the other players, use their strengths to your advantage. In one of the bands I play with, the bass player has awesome time and groove. I don't have to concentrate on keeping that time when I play with him, it's more like a two-man lift. In your band, it might be the rhythm guitarist or the keyboard player. (It almost certainly WON'T be the singer... heh heh.)

Beyond that, click, click click. Practice makes perfect! And it might be to the band's benefit for EVERYONE to use the click at least some of the time.

Good luck!

One thing I do to avoid rushing or dragging is to listen to, and be in tune with, the other instruments and voices, and their phrasing in the song. When you rush, they sound rushed. When you drag, they sound like they're dragging. You can learn to listen and internalize everyone's tempo as the song's tempo, not just your tempo on the drums. This also helps you to serve the song and the other players in the band. (I often hum back or sing the song to myself for a few bars before I click the band in, this helps set the tempo in my head.)

Speaking of the other players, use their strengths to your advantage. In one of the bands I play with, the bass player has awesome time and groove. I don't have to concentrate on keeping that time when I play with him, it's more like a two-man lift. In your band, it might be the rhythm guitarist or the keyboard player. (It almost certainly WON'T be the singer... heh heh.)

Beyond that, click, click click. Practice makes perfect! And it might be to the band's benefit for EVERYONE to use the click at least some of the time.

Good luck!

Great advice.

Years ago, I was a notorious rusher and once in a while I still do. It's usually because I don't follow my own advice, relax and give notes their full value. In addition to alparrott's suggestions for playing with the band, there are things you can work out on your own. But here's the question: Are you rushing the beat notes or the stuff in between (micro-timing)? In other words, are you speeding up the overall tempo or do you rush a fill and have to put the brakes on to stay in time?

If it's the latter case, try this: Get a log book and write everything down. Find your problem fill. Tack on a couple of beats to both ends so that you can play it back in context. Play to a metronome at the problem tempo several times. Then in 1 or 2 beat per minute steps (faster and slower), play the fill several times at each setting until you pinpoint where you seem to be playing it well and where it rushes. Note where you tense up and where you feel good. Run through the whole exercise again, but at half the volume you normally play at. Again, note it down.

If it's the former case, just work on internalizing the time. With and without a metronome. For fast tempos, count the 1st of every other or every 4th beat. For slow tempos, subdivide the beat in half or quarters so that you don't waver. In other words, if you play slow, count fast. If you play fast, count slow. And however you count, make it count!

-John

Hi all.......some great advice coming on here,i really appreciate it.
I tend to find when i get excited and fully into the music
is were the problem arises,then i hear it back and it really upsets me.
Slow tempos are ok,it seems to be the faster/busier tracks i suffer in...

I will beat this!!!!

rik

It helps me to put my thoughts on the ending or last section of the song and remembering there's no hurry to get there. Sort of thinking about where we're heading, enjoying the song and wanting to last as long as it can (without dragging of course, lol). That's the best way I can explain it.

I also recommend these gadgets, I have the beat bug - http://www.luglock.com/tempometers.htm Although it's not so good for tempos 180bpm+, and I don't know how far above 120 you're going

All good suggestions here. One thing that really helped me out was keeping time with my Left foot on the HH. Whenever I'm learning new licks or fills, I always try to keep the HH foot going, usually bouncing with the heel. I tend to rush with the slower tempos.
Metronome is a good suggestion as well. Why not, most musicians record their tracks with them.

I've since added a double pedal, so still figuring out how to keep time with the left foot now...

Yeah, you gotta breathe and relax. However, this comes in time. I had a teacher who taught me that we as early students are too concerned about the notes to be played, but we're not concerned about the spaces between those notes. It sounds like a mind-game (which it probably is), but once I started looking at it that way, my sense of authority with the time improved immensely.

It's like how, when confronted with a chart and all you see is the black markings of the music? When you approach it the other way, you're attempting to see the white paper underneath all the ink! You're striking a balance.

Yeah, you gotta breathe and relax. However, this comes in time. I had a teacher who taught me that we as early students are too concerned about the notes to be played, but we're not concerned about the spaces between those notes. It sounds like a mind-game (which it probably is), but once I started looking at it that way, my sense of authority with the time improved immensely.

It's like how, when confronted with a chart and all you see is the black markings of the music? When you approach it the other way, you're attempting to see the white paper underneath all the ink! You're striking a balance.

That was wayyyyy deep, man. I like it.

Your're conscious about it, so the process has begun. The main remedy to me is really just joining a coverband and playing a lot. Record anything you do. Often it's all about how you look at things, your perspective when playing, and there's just a small shift in our brain that we have to be consious of in different situations. It's all about experience and really being inside the MUSIC.

I also recommend these gadgets, I have the beat bug - http://www.luglock.com/tempometers.htm Although it's not so good for tempos 180bpm+, and I don't know how far above 120 you're going

I saw a guy playing with one of these last year and been looking for them..It basically tells you the time your playing in by how many times you hit the snare in a minute?? How does the one that does not attach to the snare work?

I saw a guy playing with one of these last year and been looking for them..It basically tells you the time your playing in by how many times you hit the snare in a minute?? How does the one that does not attach to the snare work?

Not quite. It's just like the tap function on a metronome - it measures the time between snare hits and tells you how many per minute you're playing. So if you're playing a backbeat groove at 100bpm, the beatbug will show 50. It only needs two strokes to calculate the tempo (or half note tempo, rather) so you're getting feedback in realtime. If you could plug a trigger into a metronome and use that instead of tapping the button, it's basically the same thing. Since I started using it my confidence has grown hugely. I don't stare at it, but just glance at it occasionally to see where I'm at. Some of the songs we do depend on being within 2 or 3 bpm of the correct tempo and this solves that problem. Other songs have sections that need to be sped up or the punters stop dancing (mostly half time bridges) so I keep an eye on the Beat Bug and push the tempo slightly then fall back into the original tempo for the rest of the song.

For your second question I assume you mean the Beat Bug, as the one that sits on the snare is the Tempo Ref. It comes with a trigger which you place on the batter head, and you mount the device anywhere on your kit. You can also attach the trigger to your bottom hi hat which would be great if you're playing jazz or something with a lot of left foot action. In fact anything can be triggered, some users have a piece of wood next to their hi hat pedal and tap that to get the tempo. I've considered building a switch so I can flick between the snare trigger and one on my kick, for songs with four on the floor most of the way.

The trigger it comes with is just a very basic piezo element, I want to try using a decent trigger from Roland or the like which would be easier to attach and probably perform better. I currently use a clip on muffler to hold the trigger onto the head. The trigger it comes with does the job fine and also has a clip which attaches to a tension rod but I prefer the muffler so I can switch snares easily.

At first I thought only seeing the half note tempo was a negative, but it's actually a blessing, as a lower number/less strokes means you don't have to be as accurate to get a consistent reading. That might sound counter intuitive, but in reality the faster you're tapping it, the more accurate you need to be in order to prevent the numbers jumping around, to the point of unnecessary accuracy. At high tempos your snare hits would have to be accurate to within something like 15 milliseconds. The reason I said it's not so good for fast tempos is because the numbers jump around a lot, so it's actually hard to get any useful feedback from it. It only measures from your last two snare hits, as opposed to averaging a longer period like 2 or 4 bars

It's a pretty basic device, and has lots of room for improvement such as an averaging function and tolerance for missed hits/flubs, but for what it is, it works great. I think the guy just builds them himself from home and he's good to deal with. FWIW, I went with the beat bug over the tempo ref for a few reasons - I didn't like the idea of something dampening my snare too much, or the risk smashing it, I didn't need the metronome function, and the Tempo Ref has auto on and off - which means batteries may accidentally get drained when not in use.

Any more questions just fire them my way :)

The main thing for me was playing w/ a metronome, 50 - 60bpm all of those systems of development for eighth /16/triplet figures over and over and over until it is like meditation and your hands and arms naturally do the work without thinking about it.

It is all about the mastery of the initial motions developed at the slower speeds and how deeply you can own them. 120-130bpm becomes walk in the park, after a year or two of an hour a day of the many systems out there.

And yes, adding quarter note hi-hat for time is perfect for "locking in" a metronome feel. You don't have to play it to feel it, too. A simple heel drop is enough point of reference

I tend to find when i get excited and fully into the music
is were the problem arises

You just identified your issue. Your whole problem lies in that sentence. It's your emotions that are making you rush. I used to be way guilty of this. The way I overcame it....emotional distance from the song. How you do that is up to you. Try playing the songs in question with a totally different, "I don't care mindset". The polar opposite of what you are doing now. Then you have to find a balance between the 2 that doesn't compromise the meter.

I've used this analogy before...playing drums is like brewing beer. You cannot partake of the excitement you are creating, lest you ruin the song. You have a job to do. You can't party yet, that's afterward, after you killed it. You will be in a much better mood to celebrate if you killed it, than if you stuffed it up. So kill it. Don't let the excitement engulf you, keep it at bay. Get control of your emotions while playing, your playing will sound more concise and emotional as a result. It's another one of those backward things. When you don't feel the emotion, somehow, the emotion comes out in your playing. When you do feel the emotion, it ruins your playing. Your choice. What's it gonna be?
You are driving the bus, you need to keep steady, so your passengers (bandmates) can do their job. You can't keep it steady if you are giddy excited. Approach the drums like a seasoned cold blooded killer, not some excitable uncontrolled youth.

It's better to play the song right, and not get excited, than to get excited and ruin the song. You need to "mature" on the drumset more, and stop playing like a kid. I mean that in only the most respectful way, as I've totally been where you are.

Practice the beats to a metronome until the required speed for the song is the natural tempo you play it at.

Ditto.

Also, if you take on the idea of playing right in the center of the beat, you become more patient and exacting in your time playing.

You can try programming a custom click track to practice to (perhaps using some computer music software, I use Sibelius). Set it up so that the click track plays a certain number of bars and then stops for a certain number of bars (time keeps going though). It's like riding a bike with training wheels that can be engaged and disengaged at regular intervals. You can adjust how many bars the click track stops for (even going as far as having 4 bars with click and then 4 bars without click). It forces you to truly focus on where you really believe the time is and it provides you the opportuity to compare that to where the ACTUAL time is. You don't have to worry about whether another musician is going to come in early or late etc.. It's just you and the click. It can be tricky at first but it feels great whenever you come in right on beat 1 with the click after a 4 bar break! Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The only way to practice to playing on time, is to play with a metronome, as many other says, and play the rythm in 60 bpm, and speed up, 80 bpm, 100 bpm.. But don't practice in the tempo that's marked, play a little faster before you play it in time.
A. Losiewicz

You're either a natural or you ain't. If your time isn't spot on then you're not a natural timekeeper and playing with a metronome is the most common way of improving your time. Only since coming to this forum did I get a clear awareness of what playing good time is all about.

Larry's right about attitude. It's another side of the equation. I liked a comment made in a previous rushing thread - "What's the hurry?". You could be hit by a bus on the way home and never play again so savour the times you have. A bit dark but you know what I mean :)

I like the Kenny Werner trick of trying to play badly ... even though I play lounge these days I have a slightly punky attitude, where I don't want to show off or clutter things with lots of ornaments (an epidemic these days IMO) ... I don't want to be a hotshot or to impress, just to do my best to play good honest time that feels good and helps the others do what they're trying to do.

I find that kind of attitude is helping me stay grounded and avoid delusions of adequacy (as compared with pro standards).

I also suffer from rushing sometimes, but its not my timing that is off.

Say I play a beat at 120 bpm, I can lock dead on at 120 bpm for the whole song, but the end result can sound rushed. To me, it is about the placement of each note within each interval. I guess what I am doing is playing ahead of the beat. Locked in on the tempo, however I feel like I am tugging the other band mates along for the ride, rather than the smooth bus ride as described above.

My problem is most obvious when either I have a bad onstage mix, lose focus, or seeing the dance floor full and I get excited.

I have improved within the last year or so, simply by doing what most have already suggested. I listen to the playbacks of every practice and show, which to me has helped with every aspect of my playing immensely. I also simply focus on the other band mates better.

Finally, the most helpful thing I have done, is I put an index card with the word "pace" written on it and attached it on my set somewhere where I see it often as a reminder. You'd be surprised how effective that is.

Back