New to me Acrolite

I recently acquired a Blacrolite and despite what some people say I think it sounds great. These are great snares for the price.

I completely agree. I bought my Black Galaxy Acrolite about 18 months ago, and while it has taken a back seat to my Supraphonic, I will never give up this drum.

A very nice drum.
Good that you know enough about the Acrolites to want to have one. I'm more of a Gretsch guy - just a personal preferrence - but I got the Acrolite bug years ago. They're one of my very favourite drums. I have a special (to me) one that I think sounds everybit as good, and better in some cases, than many snare drums that cost $100's more. It's simply a very good drum at any price.

A good choice and congratulations!

I got my Black Galaxy back in spring, and since then it's become my favorite snare drum. It's an intriguing little drum, that speaks with so much character.

The other great thing about the Acrolite is there's about a kajillion of them floating around out there, as they were sold for years and years (and may still be) as a school snare kit. So if you miss one, there'll be another along in about another garage cleaning.

When buying Acrolites on eBay and other sites, never search for "Acrolite", as they will always be >$100. Search for "Ludwig Snare" ...

Thanks to this piece of good advice, I am about to the proud owner of a $100 "Blackrolite".

Thank you KamaK - until you pointed this out, I was starting to think that cheap Acrolites were a myth.

It needs to travel from the US to Australia...can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it.

Thanks to this piece of good advice, I am about to the proud owner of a $100 "Blackrolite".

Thank you KamaK - until you pointed this out, I was starting to think that cheap Acrolites were a myth.

It needs to travel from the US to Australia...can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it.

I'm interested in what the shipping was. Everyone Aussie here talks about the nightmarish shipping rates between the US and Oz. I hope it wasn't too much!

I'm interested in what the shipping was. Everyone Aussie here talks about the nightmarish shipping rates between the US and Oz. I hope it wasn't too much!

It would have been more than the price of the drum. =:-O

But I have a Secret Weapon - I import from the US on a regular basis, so I will ask my supplier to include the drum in with my next shipment.

The scary thing is that even with the fierce potential shipping charge, it would still have been worth doing because when Acrolites come up for sale here they go for silly money.

It would have been more than the price of the drum. =:-O

But I have a Secret Weapon - I import from the US on a regular basis, so I will ask my supplier to include the drum in with my next shipment.

The scary thing is that even with the fierce potential shipping charge, it would still have been worth doing because when Acrolites come up for sale here they go for silly money.

Wow. I guess I shouldn't bring my 1978 Ludwig 6.5x14 B/O badge mint condition Supraphonic down there - somebody might try to steal it!

Planning a trip Bo?

Sure, bring your Supra. I'll look after it for you...just put it down there, it'll be fine.

I actually just picked one up yesterday with a bunch of other drum gear I got at a studio closing. Its the black galaxy version. I have never played an acrolite, so I am very interested in giving it a try this evening.

Little bump in the road with my new love affair. Second gig in the snare cord broke.
I have no experience with snare cord- had to break out my back up- which luckily is a 13x6 maple Gretsch which I like quite a bit.

Drum shop fixed it up, showed me how to tie the cord and gave me an extra piece just in case it happens again. he said that if it happens again soon, he will replace the snares, as they may have a burr. He told me snare cord should last 2-3 years of gigging before needing replacement.

I see some threads on here where some feel you should stick with cord and some have changed throw-offs to use plastic strips.
I kinda like the vintage vibe of the cord, but I need my stuff to be reliable.
Sticking with the cord for now and keeping an eye on it.

Little bump in the road with my new love affair. Second gig in the snare cord broke.
I have no experience with snare cord- had to break out my back up- which luckily is a 13x6 maple Gretsch which I like quite a bit.

Drum shop fixed it up, showed me how to tie the cord and gave me an extra piece just in case it happens again. he said that if it happens again soon, he will replace the snares, as they may have a burr. He told me snare cord should last 2-3 years of gigging before needing replacement.

I see some threads on here where some feel you should stick with cord and some have changed throw-offs to use plastic strips.
I kinda like the vintage vibe of the cord, but I need my stuff to be reliable.
Sticking with the cord for now and keeping an eye on it.

For the last 20 years or so, I've been hipped to using this lightly coated thin aircraft cabling. And now, Trick makes it available commercially, so you could buy it at places like Sam Ash and Guitar Center. If you're tying knots with it, you do have to use a couple of pairs of pliers to grab it so you can pull it tight enough. But my P-85 strainers and butt ends have brackets that screw the cabling down so I've never had to tie a knot. But I have seen guys who have, and once it's set it last forever.

I used to stick with the snare cord, but that broke over time and usage, and then in one emergency I used shoe laces, which lasted a little longer. And years ago I went to Pro Drum in Hollywood lamenting about these stupid snare cords and that's when they set my snare up with the aircraft cabling. Best move ever!

For the last 20 years or so, I've been hipped to using this lightly coated thin aircraft cabling. And now, Trick makes it available commercially, so you could buy it at places like Sam Ash and Guitar Center. If you're tying knots with it, you do have to use a couple of pairs of pliers to grab it so you can pull it tight enough. But my P-85 strainers and butt ends have brackets that screw the cabling down so I've never had to tie a knot. But I have seen guys who have, and once it's set it last forever.

Thanks for the info.
I looked into that online and it seems the cable does not work when you have to tie it for the P-85.
If I have an issue again, I might consider upgrading the throwoff and using straps.

I used to stick with the snare cord, but that broke over time and usage, and then in one emergency I used shoe laces, which lasted a little longer. And years ago I went to Pro Drum in Hollywood lamenting about these stupid snare cords and that's when they set my snare up with the aircraft cabling. Best move ever!

I know it's coated, but does it do anything to the shell? I've been skeptical.

Thanks for the info.
I looked into that online and it seems the cable does not work when you have to tie it for the P-85.
If I have an issue again, I might consider upgrading the throwoff and using straps.

Don't believe the Internet on that one. The cable works - and the coating does nothing to the shell, btw - but this is where the pliers come into play. You simple tie a knot against itself, but by using pliers you're able to pull it tight enough against itself to make it hold. So it can be done.

I picked up a used Blackrolite off EBay the other week for $89.00 - great shape and it sounds great too.

When buying Acrolites on eBay and other sites, never search for "Acrolite", as they will always be >$100. Search for "Ludwig Snare" and sort by ascending price.

The reason is that anyone who knows that the drum is an Acro will charge full price. You want to buy from people that don't know what they have. Example:

I just paid $51 for an Acro, case, and stand.

The reason it was $51 was because they put it under "Rockers Ludwig", which is what the batter head says on it. You often see Acros sold as "Remo Snare", "Evans Snare" and "Weatherking Snare"

After I read this post I went and bid on a "Ludwig snare" on eBay with no reserve and starting at 99 cents. It was clearly a Supraphonic (badge indicated a 64) in semi-rough condition (no baseball bat muffler, pitting). I bid $78 and it eventually went for $135, so someone wound up pretty happy!

Definitely gonna keep trying to find auctions with asymmetric information :)

I bid $78 and it eventually went for $135, so someone wound up pretty happy!

Definitely gonna keep trying to find auctions with asymmetric information :)

First off, congratulations. That's an awesome price for an awesome snare.

The down side is that when everyone knows the tricks of the trade, it makes stuff more expensive for me.

I had a bead on a 69 keystone Acro for $50. I gave up at $75 and it went for $225. Me and my big mouth.

Back