Trusting others with your kit?

I dont let anyone use my kit period!

People always say they will pay for stuff when it breaks....but when stuff actually breaks, some how everyone is always broke. New cymbals arent cheap!

this.........they break something they tell you it was an accident and they cannot afford to pay. No thank you

I've never let anyone use my kit,except for one time,and the guy was a real basher.He was the former drummer of the band I was in at the time,and I was the guy that replaced him.He showed up at a gig,and asked to sit in....for old times sake,so,I relented.One tune later,I said,you're done.Most of the heads were dented and he readjusted all my stuff,while I took a break.

Another time,I loaned my 20's,Ludwig nickel over brass snare to a guy ,a friend I thought,that I'd known for years.He tells me a week later,that the drum was stolen,out of his car.I know he's lying to me,so I turn up by surprise ,at a gig they were playing and,low and behold,there's me snare,behind the kit.

I'm so angry,inbetween songs,I walk up on the stage,and litterally rip the drum out of the snare stand,anongst pleas of,"please ,just let me finish the night".My response was ,you should have thought of that before you tried to steal it,as well as some other thoughts on the matter..He could have just asked to use it a little while longer,but went the other way with it.

So,for me,no,no,no,nobody uses my stuff,ever again.If you think it harsh.......oh well.

Steve B

Wow! That's horrible. I would have made a total scene. I might have had an officer there too! I might have waited till they started a song then, politely, and forcefully liberated the snare from the stand. When the band stoped playing, I would apologize to the audience for the spectacle and quickly explain that the drummer is a thief and deserves no pitty. Then I might add... "Ladies and gentlemen, you local police department... Take it away sir!"

WWGBD?

What would Ginger Baker do?

Wow! That's horrible. I would have made a total scene. I might have had an officer there too! I might have waited till they started a song then, politely, and forcefully liberated the snare from the stand. When the band stoped playing, I would apologize to the audience for the spectacle and quickly explain that the drummer is a thief and deserves no pitty. Then I might add... "Ladies and gentlemen, you local police department... Take it away sir!"

WWGBD?

What would Ginger Baker do?

What you're forgetting is that Steve was NYPD...

[/FONT]
Drums can be fixed, cymbals can't. If others are going to play your set, why not nicely request that they use their own cymbals? That's not too unreasonable.
I agrees with this. Often times when a kit is left up to be used, some players prefer to use their own cymbals for their sound. You probably can request that the drummers bring their own cymbals. I would.

So guys, I have the opportunity to put my kit out at a high/middle school gig. But lol the gig is a once a year thing. Everyone knows that kids don't treat stuff good and my cymbals are good.

My worst fear is that my AA Medium Thin 16" crash is going to crack because some kid doesn't have good technique and hits it straight on.

Anybody else have this?

One question: What kind of opportunity is this for you? What do you stand to gain?

As others have said, risk to drums is very low.

If you're worried about your cymbals, don't let others use them.

What you're forgetting is that Steve was NYPD...

Even better! Although not a sworn officer, I work in law enforcement. It can be sad, but nice to know when someone is lying to you. It just hurts a bit more if you know the person. It's not as if they are just lying to lie, but they have so little respect for you that they will take advantage of your kindness and generosity for personal gain.

I am glad that you got your snare back.

Thank you for your service Steve B!

As far as letting other's use my kit, I would say mostly no. I had a close friend, that grew up across the street from me and now lives in the same city ask to use my kit a few years ago. It was a beautiful Tama Granstar in black. He had a kit of his own, but always admired the great "Rock" tone that the Granstars had. And although the kit was about 14 years old, it looked pretty much new. I agreed and he used it for like, one show. I get them back and there's all kinds of nicks and scratches all over the kit. He did more damage in ONE NIGHT than I had done since I purchased it new.

I was really upset. This was the first really nice kit that I bought for myself. My Dad helped me get a small loan when I was in ninth grade and it took a while, but I paid it off. So on the surface, the damage made me really angry and sad, as this kit had, and still has, a lot of sentimental value to me. That's something that another person can't fully appreciate. But it also demonstrated to me, how little respect for me this friend had. I knew he knew how to take care of HIS things. So I figured that he would be at least that careful with my drums. I was wrong.

At the time, I lived with him and another drummer. One of my favorite cymbals cracked and nobody knew anything about it. For some reason, even though there were two kits set up. People liked to play mine. So I was out my, at the time, favorite Zildjian 19" K Dark Crash. Still have it sitting a few feet away.

It would be difficult for me to feel comfortable lending the things I feel very strongly for. I have worked hard to buy the drums and cymbals that I have come to love. I don't trust that strangers have the same respect for my passion as I have. On the one hand... they are just "things". But to me they also a partner in creating music. Maybe if I bought a used kit that was all banged up I might feel differently, but probably not.

Hmmm well you could lend it to the kid in Andys post !! http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1279273&posted=1#post1279273

More on topic
When you say you "have the opportunity to put my kit out at a high/middle school gig".... what is that opportunity...... you were asked by who? and do you want to take up that opportunity

If you really want to then theirs some good advice already posted....but dont get emotionally bullied into sharing anything let alone your prize cymbals. I dont think most non drummers appreciate they can cost almost as much as a decent intermediate kit...just for one cymbal !!

Last edited:
Not even close to being harsh enough Steve. That's such a terrible betrayal it's difficult to conceive. I think you're a saint to hold back so well.

Thanks Andy,I think in your case,I would make an exception though.But with friends like that douch nozzle,what can I say,you can't live with them,and you can't kill em'.Thanks for all the other great comments guys.:):)

Steve B

Like many on here I have a gigging kit that can be used by support acts /other bands. It's a cherry red yamaha MCAN fitted with pinstripes for a little more durability. I supply two cymbal stands hi hat stand and snare stand. However I never loan out my snares, pedal or cymbals. If it's only my band playing or kits can be switched out then I use my Noonan stave maples which for me is the ultimate kit. However for both kits I accept that the odd nick/ dent is bound to happen.

Steve, I'm with you on that one. That ass-cactus would have been searching for his teeth.

I also agree with the folks who posted about not letting an opening act use your kit.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't say "never". There are situations where I set up my kit and offer its use - like the open mic nights I do - but I wouldn't let an opening act use it, and I for sure wouldn't loan it or any part of it. At the open mic thing, I can see it the entire time. ;-)

In re: the OP - I'd loan my kit, but I'd ensure the players - and their parents, and the school - were perfectly aware of consequences for damage. Someone would be signing something which says, in Lawyer (which I don't speak), "I, the undersigned, without reservation agree to pay to repair or replace any damaged equipment at the owner's option." There'd be a place where the buck stops. Whether it's the school, a school official, or an official of a parent's group, whatever, doesn't matter. I'm sure you can find some sort of boilerplate that'll do.

Back