The Grand Master Buddy Rich

I love that video. A great, great showcase of Buddy's musicality. He's playing for Prez and Ella, with a lot of brushes. Very supportive and cool. I love Prez too- it's easy to see where Charlie Parker got some of his stuff.

Yes, there might be better drummers technically speaking nowadays. There might be better/faster drummers (you know, they use double bass technique and such thing...), they might have better chops, but there's one reason for me to always, and I mean always turn automatically back to those Buddy videos... there's no video I see the most than that "channel one" video on here... that's sooo beautiful... the dynamics, the acents he put so delicate to the notes... the sheer creativity and spontaneous combinations and the order he gave to each sequence of notes and the conjunction of the whole thing put together... the total stick control, hiper fast hands, amazing, and I really mean AMAZING cymbal work, there's nothing better than it. Nothing. No pure-chops guy can make me wanna see his videos every single day of my life, and that's exactly the kind of "full-realised-pleasure" I only get when viewing/witnessing/listening to Mr. Buddy Rich. And he did all that with just a simple, basic/classic 9-piece (or something as small) kit...

I'm kind of a newbie to the real quality drummers (not much time has passed since I've discovered guys like Vinnie Colaiuta and Buddy Rich, but I'm really glad I did. They've changed my life forEVER... now I can apreciate the drums exactly (or even more) like I do when listening/watching to a a violin virtuose, the drums can transmit so many distinct sounds and feelings when on the right hands, they really amaze me "now" (more than ever).

Thank you, Mr. Buddy Rich. As much cheezy and corny as it may sound. Indeed.

- Ivo.

theduke86 said:
I love that video. A great, great showcase of Buddy's musicality. He's playing for Prez and Ella, with a lot of brushes. Very supportive and cool. I love Prez too- it's easy to see where Charlie Parker got some of his stuff.

No, sorry, I can't love this video. They destroyed it by adding another sound or something else happened (He plays Cymbals - movie is hihat, he plays stand-tom - movie there is only snare, good sample also the trombone: plays just something else....
I definitively think: they acted playback in the movie to a given music....fits more for pop, not jazz imo...

Bernhard

DogBreath said:

That makes perfect sense to me. It also reminds me of a few years ago when Garth Brooks, who at the time was at the top of the Country Music charts, declared that Rock Music was easy, and he recorded and released a rock album to prove how he could be a rock star as well. It sucked, the critics hated it, and no one bought it. He did his absolute best, and he was horrible. (Amazon lists 214 of the CDs new and used starting at 65 cents)

Just because you are the best at something (as many would say Buddy was), doesn't mean that you can be the best at anything else. Buddy did not have the ability to be a great rock drummer, or a great Latin drummer. That doesn't take away from what he was, but there's no need to pretend that he was more than he actually was.

Say he was a pioneer. That's a fact. Say he was the greatest drummer ever. Fine, that's an opinion. But it's just silly to say things like "His speed was equal or better than anyone today" or "He never made a mistake while drumming." No need to make him into more than he was. Any one of us should be so talented!

To say things like "His speed was equal or better than anyone today" makes perfect sense, actually. There may be (and there are) some faster drummers out there using the (in)famous finger technique, but not using the wrists and certainly not playing and reaching the sticks that high while surpassing the 1000+ bps. Certainly not. And I certainly need a video to prove me wrong.

- Ivo.

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
To say things like "His speed was equal or better than anyone today" makes perfect sense, actually. There may be (and there are) some faster drummers out there using the (in)famous finger technique, but not using the wrists and certainly not playing and reaching the sticks that high while surpassing the 1000+ bps.
So you even admit that there are faster drummers today, they just use different techniques? Buddy was a pioneer, but I repeat, it's silly to say that there is no one faster than him today. There are many, many faster drummers, but that in no way takes away from the greatness of Buddy Rich.

Many of the threads in this topic suffer from two types of posters: those who bash, and those who give greatly inflated praise. Keep it real. Show respect for the real man, not the fairy tale.

Fan-boys do their idols a disservice by praising them beyond their actual abilities. That's the whole point of the Chuck Norris jokes: they are only funny because they are ridiculous exaggerations of someone's abilities.

(and no, that wasn't an invitation for anyone to post their favorite Chuck Norris joke!)

DogBreath said:
So you even admit that there are faster drummers today, they just use different techniques? Buddy was a pioneer, but I repeat, it's silly to say that there is no one faster than him today. There are many, many faster drummers, but that in no way takes away from the greatness of Buddy Rich.

Many of the threads in this topic suffer from two types of posters: those who bash, and those who give greatly inflated praise. Keep it real. Show respect for the real man, not the fairy tale.

Fan-boys do their idols a disservice by praising them beyond their actual abilities. That's the whole point of the Chuck Norris jokes: they are only funny because they are ridiculous exaggerations of someone's abilities.

(and no, that wasn't an invitation for anyone to post their favorite Chuck Norris joke!)

This all regards (again) to "that" ol' controversal "cheating issue in the drumming community" kind of subject. I do think it's Buddy's own merit the high speed he's got in his lifetime and his extreme endurance using his effort-requiring wrists-techniques... you need to be certainly stronger to go through a 1-min-long or more solo at around 1.060 bps using only and just only your wrists power... the muscule, we all know how it can get tired and hurt, there's no comparision between finger muscules fatique and wrists' fatigue, and I truly think that's a merit of Mr. Buddy Rich; to his speed, strength and endurance. While others (like Mr. Mike Mangini and his "ground-breaking" "single hits" record of 1.260bps) insistently continue to use the finger technique. You cannot disconsider the extra amount of power required to sustain that Buddy Rich speed for so long time, so controlled and just hardly using the stick's rebounds and the power of his wrists; I do think the way to achieve something is something to be considered, not just the final result, from anyway, by anyone, anytime. But that's just my humble opinion anyway... a "blind fanatic" I am...maybe...

- Ivo.

Last edited:
DogBreath said:

I hear what you're saying. There's some truth to this- I believe there may be some people who can play a faster 60 second single stroke roll who have trained it.... as far as all over virtuostic hand technique across musical (this is kind of a debateable term) boundaries, I think Buddy has it. Vinnie's got great hands, Louis Bellson does, Joe Morello, et al, I haven't heard anyone TOP Buddy. If we're measuring by WFD standards, then of course it's different.

Class A Drummer said:
WOW I JUST REALIZED! he used paiste cymbals.
Whered you get that fact from? Buddy Rich used Zildjian cymbals, at least for a majority of his career.
Z_Buddy_Rich_zildjian_poster.jpg

brittc89 said:
Whered you get that fact from? Buddy Rich used Zildjian cymbals, at least for a majority of his career.
Z_Buddy_Rich_zildjian_poster.jpg
well i saw the buddy rich vid where he was in that pink sweater, and i saw under one of his cymbals (think the ride) the word "Paiste" so i figured he used pasite, then went to zildjian. Actually think that he went from zildjian to paiste, mainly because he looked very very old in that video and was probably a little before he died.

Re: The Grand Master BR

toteman2 said:
Buddy is than man, no doubt...It's true alot of younger drummers don't care to hear him...To me he os one of the great pioneers of the instrument...I do think he really was a jerk though...Not showing others how to do the famous 1 handed roll? Seems a bit arrogant...I also think claiming he is the greatest drummer ever hands down is beyond arrogant...Like eveything else, drumming has evolved and gotten better with time and knowledge...

Haha, I heard that he had to pay people to play for them.

no doubt the old guys like buddy rich, gene krupa and even brian bennet plays some exellent stuff.. just saw the drum solo from buddy rich.. not bad for a old timer

what i miss from these guys.. is more drums!!! the more drums the merrier i like the sound of 6 inch toms then a sudden roll down to the 13 - 16 .. and so on..

Last edited:
im pretty sure that every drummer no matter what style or type of music they play could add more drums :D IF they feel like it

infernal drummer said:
no doubt the old guys like buddy rich, gene krupa and even brian bennet plays some exellent stuff.. just saw the drum solo from buddy rich.. not bad for a old timer

what i miss from these guys.. is more drums!!! the more drums the merrier i like the sound of 6 inch toms then a sudden roll down to the 13 - 16 .. and so on..

I'll assume you're kidding on this one. "not bad for a old timer", heh, that's pretty hilarious. I'm sure you don't know but Hellhammer's (Mayhem's great drummer) favourite drummer is Buddy Rich. More so than Vinnie Colaiuta or Dave Weckl, according to his own self. And if you really like metal drummers, you might recognize the name "Ian Axel Bloomberg" as well. Very probably the BEST xtreme metal drummer of today. : )

If you really like lightning-fast drums, I really suggest you to check out there three videos of Buddy below:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/buddyrichsticktrick.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/buddyrich1970.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/buddyrich1978.html

...and check them out carefully. They're worth it. I promise. Technique, phrasing, precision, speed, swing, control, clarity, dynamics, accents, creativity, innovations, style, dexterity, ambidextry, raw talent and a left hand and a sense of showmanship all put together like NO ONE ELSE. : ) Maybe a "little" unrealistic, but simply realistic, as much as it is difficult to believe.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
infernal drummer said:

It kinda works like this . . . the older you get, the better Buddy Rich gets. By the time you're 20, Buddy Rich will be your hero.

he really knew what the audience wanted. a jazz fanbase may appreciate rudiments, but they won't want to sit through buddy rich playing every rudiment to death. instead he kept it fast, lively and fun.

yeah i have seen all the videos from him.. and yes i am kidding when i say "not bad for an old timer" :D .. i could never play as fast as him..
ppl can learn from all the old timers. listen to drum solo from brian bennet.. the litle b .. that is also some exellent stuff..

for metal (speedmetal) i like mickey dee (check out the helloween album "rabbit dont come easy" and ppl will know the word speed hehe) and uli kusch..

none the less.. ill still say the more drums.. the better the sounds ppl can make. if they know how to use them. i have no doubt that gene or buddy could have.. p.s. im not talking mike portnoy drumkit .. just a couple of 6" and 8" ..

Last edited:
infernal drummer said:
yeah i have seen all the videos from him.. and yes i am kidding when i say "not bad for an old timer" :D .. i could never play as fast as him..
ppl can learn from all the old timers. listen to drum solo from brian bennet.. the litle b .. that is also some exellent stuff..

for metal (speedmetal) i like mickey dee (check out the helloween album "rabbit dont come easy" and ppl will know the word speed hehe) and uli kusch..

none the less.. ill still say the more drums.. the better the sounds ppl can make. if they know how to use them. i have no doubt that gene or buddy could have.. p.s. im not talking mike portnoy drumkit .. just a couple of 6" and 8" ..

Heh, yeah... I've always thought how amazingly great would be to have someone like Buddy behind a drumkit playing xtremely fast xtreme metal with xtremely fast blast beats with the only dexterity he had to go along throught ALL the song xtremely fast and fluidly... that would be a dream-coming-true. He (Buddy) would be an insane metal player, that's for sure! :p but OF COURSE, the best way for Buddy to explore his talents was in Jazz and in it's intrincate possibilities, certainly NOT in Metal.. he's from the 20's after all.... :p just wondering those hiper-fast-never-fatigued-hands doing what they know best doing (and doing it in a metal gig...) WOW... :]

Back