Your full name on your bass drum head

I read somewhere that after Carmine left his band, Rod Stewart said he would never again hire a drummer who had his name on his bass drum.
Ref: point 4 from my earlier post ;)

To me, the bass drum head is a piece of act marketing real estate - no different to a poster outside the venue. What's on there makes a statement. These are the messages I take from these options:

1/ Band name / band logo only = I'm here for the band.
2/ Band name + player initials = I'm here for the band, but I also rate myself highly.
3/ Band name + full player name = this band is my gig for tonight, but I'm a significant part of the show.
4/ Full player name as the main graphic = I am the show.

Ah Yes! but do you wear matching underwear and drum wrap? this is the real question.

I used to have the Ghostbusters logo on my drumhead when I was in my early 20's.

It was a good talking point and made the bands I played in memorable which seemed like a good idea.

Don't know if I'd pick the same thing now I'm in my mid 30s. Maybe a nice cup of coffee.

I love my logo head.

It was a gift from my wife for Christmas in 2003.

When she called Pork Pie to order it, she said that she spoke to Bill Detamore directly. He actually did it himself. They don't do custom-order drum heads anymore (at least they didn't last time I checked).

I say do whatever you like.

27459915_10215844018113951_869286095191494334_n.jpg

One base drum is my mother's maiden name. The other is her SS#.

This thread reminds me when two friends and I road through Germany and Netherlands our last year of high school on ten speeds-what a freakin' trip. Well anyways there was this bar in Amsterdam the Scirocinni or something like that. It was dark like a cave and when you entered there was an alligator pit, also numerous aquarians all around with various reptiles. Well that just reminded me of home-what caught my eye is that every pic in there was a huge painting or photo of the owner-I presumed. Now I was indifferent but it just caught my eye=and I assumed it was the owner since all were of one dude-but it could have been his father, etc. Great times Summer of 72. Anyways what ever floats your boat

Ah Yes! but do you wear matching underwear and drum wrap? this is the real question.

I wear segmented walnut underwear with maple elastic bands. Yes they are of the tighty whitey variety. So yes, I do :)

"I wear segmented walnut underwear with maple elastic bands. Yes they are of the tighty whitey variety. So yes, I do :)" You made me spill coffee on my laptop-ah yes getting your "guru-ve" on today I see Larry. Guru-ve on guru-ve on.

Why not have your own if you choose? Especially hired guns. Does not bother me. If the guy is a terrible drummer...then people will know not to hire 'John Smith".

This is it right here.
I have an initial shield on mine, as I'm a hired gun for 2 bands. I've had a few come up and ask my name after a show & that can either be good or bad.
Self promotion as a hired gun is vital if you want work. Having my full name across the head is a bit pretentious IMO, but if it gets you the recognition your good work deserves, then so be it.
...but it better be good work or the opposite affect will happen.

I think any kind of name or brand promotion a little over the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 204
I don't think I would ever put my name really HUGE on a kick head.
I did that a couple times, and kind of hated how it looked, and also felt weird about it. Like I was being arrogant.

I don't mind having your name on the head if it's classy, and smaller.
I change my kick head frequently due to the amount of groups I work for that have graphics they want me to use. The one thing is common is that ALL of my kick heads have the Living Dead Drummer logo at the bottom of them. But it's not huge and doesn't take away from the bands logo or Yamaha logo that's larger on the head.

I wear segmented walnut underwear with maple elastic bands. Yes they are of the tighty whitey variety. So yes, I do :)

Ha Ha! I hope you have Guru or Ace printed on them, could be a new Merch angle. Free Matching Chunders with every purchase.

Ha Ha! I hope you have Guru or Ace printed on them, could be a new Merch angle. Free Matching Chunders with every purchase.

They're not the most comfortable experience out there.

I'd better stop right there.

Starman wears his on the outside.

Attachments

• starman115.JPG
    starman115.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 148
In the 60s and 70s so many drummers were pioneers. Regardless of how technically talented they were, much of the time they were doing something original and timeless. In light of this, their names were a brand in themselves.

Those days are gone. No matter how gifted you are today, there are many just like you. Your name on your drum head is silly. There's no value or purpose for it, because it might as well be someone else's name who could be behind the kit doing exactly what you're doing.

So there.

Back