DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Default Oriollo/Page Frankenkit... The beginning

I finally received my 12x8 Oriollo tom shell to start experimenting with the Page Drums free-floating cable-tensioned hardware. If all goes well, I'll order a 22x14, and 15x12-13 (haven't decided on depth yet). Here's an indoor, and outdoor pic of the bare shell... Not even a badge.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Oriollo/Page Frankenkit... The beginning

Cool! Could you message me when you have a video and some results? Iím afraid Iíll miss it because I donít check this subforum much.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Cool! Could you message me when you have a video and some results? Iím afraid Iíll miss it because I donít check this subforum much.
Sure... Not sure how good the sound on a video will turn out. All I have is my phone, and its tiny phone mic.

Here's the (very dusty) box of Page parts too...
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

I can tell a heck of a lot from just a phone video, especially smaller toms and snares. And I can trust your ears to tell me how the larger drums sound with this system.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I can tell a heck of a lot from just a phone video, especially smaller toms and snares. And I can trust your ears to tell me how the larger drums sound with this system.
The system worked great with the original maple shells. The sizes just weren't my cup of tea. My main concern with the Page system on these shells is the fact that the top and bottom bearing edges are different from each other. So I'm hoping both heads still tune up well together. Which is why I just ordered the one tom shell to start. If it works, these drums will be insanely lightweight.

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
The system worked great with the original maple shells. The sizes just weren't my cup of tea. My main concern with the Page system on these shells is the fact that the top and bottom bearing edges are different from each other. So I'm hoping both heads still tune up well together. Which is why I just ordered the one tom shell to start. If it works, these drums will be insanely lightweight.

Fingers crossed.
If your results are good, Iíd be curious to see how they work with a copper Oriollo kit, and a spun fiberglass kit. And a hollow log kit. Etc. lol
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
If your results are good, I’d be curious to see how they work with a copper Oriollo kit, and a spun fiberglass kit. And a hollow log kit. Etc. lol
Totally. I have enough lugs for two 5-piece kits, or one huge kit (2 10-lug bass drums, 4 6-lug toms, 2 8-lug floor toms, 1 10-lug snare, and 1 8-lug snare). The first one is obviously going to be Oriollo aluminum. Still deciding what I want to do for the second one... Either fiberglass, stave (not sure what wood species), carbon fiber, solid wood (species?)... Yeah, so basically, I have no idea. The steel, and copper Oriollo shells will be in the running too, if the aluminum works out.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Totally. I have enough lugs for two 5-piece kits, or one huge kit (2 10-lug bass drums, 4 6-lug toms, 2 8-lug floor toms, 1 10-lug snare, and 1 8-lug snare). The first one is obviously going to be Oriollo aluminum. Still deciding what I want to do for the second one... Either fiberglass, stave (not sure what wood species), carbon fiber, solid wood (species?)... Yeah, so basically, I have no idea. The steel, and copper Oriollo shells will be in the running too, if the aluminum works out.
I have a hollow log ash wood kit, and Iíve got a walnut hollow log kit on order from Antonio drums that Iíd like to use this system with, if I can get the hardware. How hard would it be to get some more of the hardware?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have a hollow log ash wood kit, and I’ve got a walnut hollow log kit on order from Antonio drums that I’d like to use this system with, if I can get the hardware. How hard would it be to get some more of the hardware?
I'm actually not sure. I bought my two kits from David Page, years after Page Drums was done. His partner took over and started Hudson Drums, which use a similar system, but it looks like the new lugs rest against the shell (though not attached), whereas the old lugs floated off the shell, so the only contact was between the heads and the bearing edges.

Good news is... A guy in the thread linked below was able to replicate the Page system using lugs from champagnedrum.com. You can get the cable, and connectors at the hardware store.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drum...son-drums.html

Also, you may be able to get similar lugs made by these folks: https://www.allstardrum.com. They make nice custom stuff.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

This is just a test, using some existing parts I had in my garage. I didn't even clean off the dust. The finished product will have a Gauger RIMS mount, and new heads, and will be clean.

I tested it against my Mapex Orion - both are 12x8, with worn-in clear Emperors over Ambassadors (smooth white for the Mapex, clear for the Oriollo) - and the Oriollo sounds just as good, but with a bit more "bite". I may experiment with porting the reso head just for gits and shiggles, since the Oriollo shell has no air vent. So far, I'm very pleased.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

And here's a short comparison video, by request. The Oriollo seems to be making my garage door rattle and hum, U2 style. It's a phone camera, so the audio is kinda crap.

https://youtu.be/a07NMr0-elw
Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds pretty good, how about a higher tuning?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Quick and dirty tuning test. My phone camera mic is still poop.

https://youtu.be/RcsGpu2qyYc
Old 01-16-2019, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

This is really cool, and quite esthetically pleasing. When tuning with the Page lugs, does tuning one head change the other since the lugs are all connected by the cable? Also, does the cable connect/terminate to itself or something else?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
This is really cool, and quite esthetically pleasing. When tuning with the Page lugs, does tuning one head change the other since the lugs are all connected by the cable? Also, does the cable connect/terminate to itself or something else?
Yep, you can turn any tension rod, and both heads tension evenly all the way around. The cable runs through channels in the lugs, and isn't actually connected to the drum/lugs at all. The cable connects to itself at the ends (pictured).
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds good at all tunings to me. Iíd like to hear how it does on the larger drums.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, you can turn any tension rod, and both heads tension evenly all the way around. The cable runs through channels in the lugs, and isn't actually connected to the drum/lugs at all. The cable connects to itself at the ends (pictured).
So free floating shell, simplified tuning, and it looks cool too. Why hasn't this caught on?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
So free floating shell, simplified tuning, and it looks cool too. Why hasn't this caught on?
People like tuning their heads to different pitches. And changing heads is harder. But combining this with aluminum shells will really make a kit ridiculously light.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
People like tuning their heads to different pitches. And changing heads is harder. But combining this with aluminum shells will really make a kit ridiculously light.
Okay I can see that. For a hobbiest like myself, I would love it. I don't have to change heads too often, and it just looks so cool. I'm starting to get a bit envious actually.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Changing heads on these is actually easier, and takes way less time.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Changing heads on these is actually easier, and takes way less time.
Cool. Iíd like to see a video of you putting the system on the next tom you get.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Cool. Iíd like to see a video of you putting the system on the next tom you get.
I just remembered I have a new Remo Starfire Chrome reso head for this drum, so I'll film when I change it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Just ordered the Gauger RIMS mount, and a Noble & Cooley CoolMount (aluminum) for this drum, which should reduce the weight significantly.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sounds good at all tunings to me. Iíd like to hear how it does on the larger drums.
I just messaged Oriollo a bit ago about ordering a 15x12, and a 22x14, so hopefully, that test will take place relatively soon (took a couple months to get that first shell).
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Keep us in the loop.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Keep us in the loop.
Definitely. Just about to order the 15x12. Apparently there's some issue making bass drum shells at the moment, so I'll be waiting on that.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM

This is very interesting looking. Having been away from drums for 15+yrs, I've been out of the loop on so many things.

Are you going to leave them raw? I dig that look. A darker anthracite would look really cool. If you decide to paint them, I may have a link and a suggestion for you to check out.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
This is very interesting looking. Having been away from drums for 15+yrs, I've been out of the loop on so many things.

Are you going to leave them raw? I dig that look. A darker anthracite would look really cool. If you decide to paint them, I may have a link and a suggestion for you to check out.
I will likely leave them raw, for two reasons...

1.) The aluminum shells, with the aluminum hardware, with Gauger RIMS mounts, mounted on a Yamaha Hex Rack, will give everything kind of a cool monochromatic "themed" type look... I even have a Drumnetics pedal on the way, which just happens to have a similar matte metal finish.

2.) When I first decided to build this kit, I wanted to see how truly virgin drums would sound, with nothing affecting the shell... No paint, no badge, no air vent... Nothing. Judging by a little test I did the other day, this drum is really going to open up once the new RIMS mount arrives. The current isolation mount is pretty tightly attached to the top hoop. Doing the two finger test (take it off the stand and hold by the rim using two fingers), the sound opened up tremendously. So I'm thinking that having the Alloy RIMS on there loosely (instead of being clamped to the hoop) will bring out more of this sound. And as a bonus, will make the drum considerably lighter in weight.

Having said that... I've never heard of 'anthracite'. Going to Google now...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I will likely leave them raw, for two reasons...

1.) The aluminum shells, with the aluminum hardware, with Gauger RIMS mounts, mounted on a Yamaha Hex Rack, will give everything kind of a cool monochromatic "themed" type look... I even have a Drumnetics pedal on the way, which just happens to have a similar matte metal finish.

2.) When I first decided to build this kit, I wanted to see how truly virgin drums would sound, with nothing affecting the shell... No paint, no badge, no air vent... Nothing. Judging by a little test I did the other day, this drum is really going to open up once the new RIMS mount arrives. The current isolation mount is pretty tightly attached to the top hoop. Doing the two finger test (take it off the stand and hold by the rim using two fingers), the sound opened up tremendously. So I'm thinking that having the Alloy RIMS on there loosely (instead of being clamped to the hoop) will bring out more of this sound. And as a bonus, will make the drum considerably lighter in weight.

Having said that... I've never heard of 'anthracite'. Going to Google now...
I was into the car tuning craze of the early-mid 2000s. Anthracite is just a darker, gun-metal color that a lot of "tuner" wheels are colored today.

If you ever want to try to paint them, look at dip your car.com. They actually have created a peelable paint. They sell kits to paint wheels. When I saw your shell, it honestly reminded me of wheels! Anyway. Not trying to get you to paint them, lol. But you can remove the "dip kits" paint.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
I was into the car tuning craze of the early-mid 2000s. Anthracite is just a darker, gun-metal color that a lot of "tuner" wheels are colored today.

If you ever want to try to paint them, look at dip your car.com. They actually have created a peelable paint. They sell kits to paint wheels. When I saw your shell, it honestly reminded me of wheels! Anyway. Not trying to get you to paint them, lol. But you can remove the "dip kits" paint.
Just looked up anthracite. That's pretty cool looking. I have some stuff called Plasti-Dip for use on tool handles and such. But it's kind of a rubber substance. I'm guessing the dip kits are different stuff.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Just looked up anthracite. That's pretty cool looking. I have some stuff called Plasti-Dip for use on tool handles and such. But it's kind of a rubber substance. I'm guessing the dip kits are different stuff.
They actually have it in cans, just like spray paint. It doesn't look "thick". It sprays on like paint.