2nd hand Drum Heads?

McShmoopy

Well I was about to buy some Emperors and Pinstripes but found them lightly used on Ebay with the original boxing too, if theyre lightly used is it still worth buying them, as they wont be stretched or anything of that sort?

Well I was about to buy some Emperors and Pinstripes but found them lightly used on Ebay with the original boxing too, if theyre lightly used is it still worth buying them, as they wont be stretched or anything of that sort?

You'll never really know. Lightly used could also mean the owner had them on drums, played 'em for a bit, and then stacked the drums on top of each other for months!

They are just heads, and you'd replace them soon enough anyway. If they're cheap enough, get them, but be ready to replace them. I would think you're not saving that much money. I'd buy new.

If they aren't dented scratched or otherwise marred they will be ok.

If they were my second hand heads coming off my other kit...then yes, but someone elses second hand I would think .99 cents and free shipping or at least a couple of bucks.

I would have to bypass second hand heads, unless they came off my drums and I knew exactly what drums they came off. You would never know how tightly he tuned the heads ( they could be stretched beyond usefulness) or if the heads were unevenly placed on the bearing edges before tension was applied. I wouldn't trust them, but I'm very picky.

Dennis

Last edited:
I would have to bypass second hand heads, unless they came off my drums and I knew exactly what drums they came off. You would never know how tightly he tuned the heads ( they could be stretched beyond usefulness) or if the heads were evenly placed on the bearing edges before tension was applied. I wouldn't trust them, but I'm very picky.

Dennis

yep totally agree with this, it's not worth it to me. I'd rather get a new head and just be done with it and know when I put it on I won't have any issues.

Not likely EMPERORS and PINSTRIPES will be stretched, the description says "Lightly used", so its pretty safe to assume they're not stretched out and IMO definitely worth buying if they's cheap enough.

What you want to look for in resin set heads is the color of the resin, either if they're new or used don't make no never mind.

Should the resin be yellow(ish) its a red flag, old and brittle. You'll sometimes come across this in NOS (long on the Old) heads. While a yellowed resin bass head may do ya, its best to stay away from snare heads or any other head you'll be tensioning tight that has yellowed resin.

You're looking @ 'used' drum heads, you don't expect them to have a 'new' sound. After one song on new heads, they're used.

With the online retailer costs of new heads still pretty reasonable, especially on basic heads like Emperors and Pinstripes, I really can't think of a good reason to roll the dice on used heads. The money saved is a false value when you consider you don't really know exactly what you're getting or how long the used heads are going to last, how good they'll sound, etc.

I would probably accept the word of the seller if it came from a little ole lady that only played the heads at her church band once a week for the last month, before she got into a megametal death band. LOL. With Anything used, buyer beware.

Dennis

Gotta stick with the facts, 'lightly used'. I've tried heads and didn't care for them, would've said "lightly used" also if I sold them and they were in great shape.

What's not a fact here (yet) is the price. If you're low on funds and can score a set of tom heads for £6.5 it'd be a good deal.

Back