Timbale sticks

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I've been considering using Timbale sticks as my practice and maybe my gigging sticks. I love the feel of thinner drumsticks and they seem to be cheaper than the other ones of the same brand. I also figure I can get twice the wear out of them and I won't have to fumble when switching from traditional to matched.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vater-Hickory-Timbale-Sticks?sku=443699

Any thoughts? Opinions? Advise? Insults?

I was thinking about that, because you can get more power from the drums, but I guess the cymbals won't sound nice, especially the ride cymbal.

Just an update for everyone that's reading this nonsense.

Bought a cheapie bag of timbale sticks from Samash, 4 pairs of pro-mark 1/2"x16". Paid 12 bucks for the bag. They work horribly!! They transmit a ton of vibration and are too small to grip comfortably. The butt-end tips add more volume to toms and hats but kill the sound of my ride. I could tolerate the ride sound as I don't use it on every song but the vibration is just too must for my delicate hands.

Most timbale players play with single strokes so they don't need that bounce that a tapered stick gives and in general, they don't use cymbals. I'm out 12 bucks but learned some interesting stuff about sticks and a better idea of what I like and don't like.

Back