THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Yo wad #420:

Whats this all about ?

"FREE PAISTE 2002'S DUE TO TOO MANY CYMBALS AND NO SPACE! CLICK FOR EMAIL AND PICS!"

Am I gonna find out I have some malicious code on my PC now ?

i recently bought the yamaha kabuto snare. it's red. it's steel. it's relatively inexpensive. it's loud. the stock head's a single ply piece of shite. change that out and the drum rules!

my friend just got the black panther ss. this snare is a freaking beast. all 17.2 pounds of it. i've never heard any set drum louder than this one. how do you guys feel about black panther?

this is the snare i use for classical band stuff at school
syp-5514.jpg

it rocks and the three throw-off idea is really cool

Does anyone know of a good Jazz Snare? I am going to be learning how to play Jazz and the Steel Snare I have is a bit too harsh.

Yes, too harsh, I tend to agree, although a lot of great jazz drummers have used and still do use steel snare drums. But I love my DW Craviato solid-shell maple 5"x14". It cranks and it speaks. It whispers and it shouts. A beautiful, well-made instrument, and probably the last snare drum I'll ever buy. Not cheap, but well worth it.

I'm looking for a new snare drum to add to my DW custom maple kit. I like the DW snare (14x6.5) that I got with it, but I'm looking for a more high-pitched 'poppy' sound and also a smaller drum (particularly 14x5 or 13x5-6). I play rim shots a lot and I play in a band that's mainly influenced by Incubus. I was looking into the Chad Smith signature snare. Anyone played or heard any snare drums with the similar sound to the Chad Smith signature?

1980 Ludwig Coliseum 14x8 12 lug it rocks i just broke it all the way down for restoration

Attachments

• kenny's drums 009.jpg
    kenny's drums 009.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 4,631
14x6.5 Metro Drums jarrah stave, 30 degee edges, Trick strainer, chrome 2.3mm hoops and tube lugs, gloss finish...

n573451661_459211_1670.jpg

Best snare I've heard (and/or played) to date. It has a great amount of body, tone, fantastic articulation, power, killer rim-shots, and looks fantastic. The pictures really don't do it justice at all. Incredibly versatile, just play with tuning and snare tension. I'm in love.

i has a 1963 slingerland zoomatic snare.

best thing ever.. i can play jazz with it ( a real snappy sound)

or a big wide open sounding rock snare.

pics soon...

I'm thinking about a Premier Modern Classic 14 x 5.5 in maple. What alternatives would anyone suggest? I don't want to spend more than £220 and would like to spend less if possible.

I'm looking at a 6.5x14 Mahogany Gretsch Catalina snare. Any thoughts about it? Anyone used/heard/played one before?

DRSCC6514SWP.jpg

Yes, too harsh, I tend to agree, although a lot of great jazz drummers have used and still do use steel snare drums. But I love my DW Craviato solid-shell maple 5"x14". It cranks and it speaks. It whispers and it shouts. A beautiful, well-made instrument, and probably the last snare drum I'll ever buy. Not cheap, but well worth it.

I'll second the Craviotto. I was lucky enough to come across a Timeless Timber Lake Superior snare on eBay and fortunate enough to be able to afford it. What a wonderful drum. Much more affordable was the 6 X 13 Ludwig Maple snare I got off eBay. It's a great sounding drum and I bet the 5 X 14's are just as sweet for jazz.

i have a pearl steve ferrone signature which is basically a black beauty and always get positive comments when we play out. it doesnt always sound best in our practice space but live it rules. even my wife who knows nothing about drums said its the best snare shes heard of any local bands.

I bought this Premier Signia Marquis snare drum last week. I like it - looks good sounds good. The retailer didn't have any information on it. I've been on the net looking at the Premier forums and even looked at all the catalogues on Drumarchive but can't see information on this particular snare (I can only see Signia snares - no Signia Marquis snares there). But I was able to find some info on it for now:

Signia Marquis were made from about 1997 until about 2002.
The shell is 6mm/5ply North American Maple with no support rings. Marquis have die-cast hoops. (mine has the die-cast hoops).

The normal Signias were 5mm/5ply maple with support rings and triple flanged hoops.
Both types used the same lugs,snare strainers and holders.

It was made in the Premier factory in Leicester, England.
And the factory may not have kept records of the serial numbers.

Attachments

• MY NEW PREMIER SIGNIA MARQUIS forum1.JPG
    MY NEW PREMIER SIGNIA MARQUIS forum1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,015
  • CLOSE-UP PREMIER BADGE - EMAIL.JPG
    CLOSE-UP PREMIER BADGE - EMAIL.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 3,066
Hello All

One thing i would say is to not try snares out in a drum shop...difficult i know, but the amount of resonance you get from other drums makes it very difficult to tell (unless they have a sound proof room which is empty).

Best way is go to some smallish venues (both miked up and not) and listen and look to see what other guys are playing (and how). Like the sound of a snare at a gig, go and ask the guy or girl/animal what he/she/it is using.

hope that helps

Olly

p.s have a listen to my orange county 10 ply maple 14x7 no frills snare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQ7DmqCY9A

please help!!!
right... i have a day or two to decide over 3 snares.... i can't get to any of them to listen to them 1st hand........... aaargh!
so...
does anyone have a review for the yamaha oak custom 14x7 or a musashi 13x6.5. or a pork pie curly maple 14x6.
i don't know any of them and i can find reviews for the musashi and the custom but not the pork pie.
i'm a rock/blues/funk drummer with a catalina maple kit tuned low, i've never heard any of these snares before and would like an honest opinion if anyone has the time.
ideally i'd like a versatile snare that when open has some real projection and is sensitive on ghost shots but can be tightened to give some funky push snap type thing.
i've read the thread and agree that its best to look/listen/check out / compare what's out there but some times things get thrown at you (i'm not complaining!) and you need some sound advice....please
many thanks

please help!!!
right... i have a day or two to decide over 3 snares.... i can't get to any of them to listen to them 1st hand........... aaargh!
so...
does anyone have a review for the yamaha oak custom 14x7 or a musashi 13x6.5. or a pork pie curly maple 14x6.
i don't know any of them and i can find reviews for the musashi and the custom but not the pork pie.
i'm a rock/blues/funk drummer with a catalina maple kit tuned low, i've never heard any of these snares before and would like an honest opinion if anyone has the time.
ideally i'd like a versatile snare that when open has some real projection and is sensitive on ghost shots but can be tightened to give some funky push snap type thing.
i've read the thread and agree that its best to look/listen/check out / compare what's out there but some times things get thrown at you (i'm not complaining!) and you need some sound advice....please
many thanks

hey there fragglerock,

i haven't tried out any of the snares you have to decide on but i thought i might be of assistance recommending the snare that i have recently bought.

that being said since i am also a rock/blues/funk drummer myself i really enjoy a responsive snare and punchysnare sound with some overtone to it. the tama artwood custom super maple snare satisfied me a great deal. it is super responsive and the 7 ply maple shell makes it a very snappy toned snare with great volume and power.

it also helps generate the coolest nuances from explosive beats to the quietest ghost notes and it is worth every cent that i have spent on it. can't wait to try it out in a recording session that i haven't got the chance to do so. i'm sure it would also work out super fine considering the acoustic taste of its sound.

it's price is about $260 in the internet but unfortunately i had to pay $370 in a local musicstore but even so, i am so happy and i don't regret. you can check out its reviews and see for yourself that not a single drummer has posted a bad review to it as far as i am concerned. it's worth a try if you could have the chance and have not made a decision yet.

cheers!

Back