Snare shopping

M

Mystic

What would be considered a top of the line Pearl snare? I might ask for one for Christmas.

What would be considered a top of the line Pearl snare? I might ask for one for Christmas.

Hi,

While you are it, could you Please ask Santa for a new snare drum
for me too? I have been good ;^)
I'm not choosy........

I like wood, I play a variation of rock jazz and metal, so it looks like reference is awesome any specs on why its so good other than its outrageously expensive? What about the Pearl Masters?

I like wood, I play a variation of rock jazz and metal, so it looks like reference is awesome any specs on why its so good other than its outrageously expensive? What about the Pearl Masters?

Well, the reference snare is 6 plies of birch plus 14 plies of maple (for a total of 20 plies). A snare that thick will have a pretty dry crack to it, regardless of what wood it's composed of, and so far all of the ones I've tried do. I might go for something a bit cheaper and with more "body" (bigger sound due to more shell resonance), like a DW Collector's Series 10+6 maple snare, or one of the Black Panther snares (so much variety). I think that the Pearl Masters 6-ply snares are a little too "ringy" and sound kind of cheap, personally. Then again, I love the sound of my ringy 3-ply '65 Slingerland, so go figure.

Try playing on as many snares as you can before you decide what to buy. Figure out what sounds you like, and which ones you didn't. I would recommend playing a bunch until you find a brand/model that you like, then try to find one on eBay or craigslist used for half the price of a new one...

Well, the reference snare is 6 plies of birch plus 14 plies of maple (for a total of 20 plies). A snare that thick will have a pretty dry crack to it, regardless of what wood it's composed of, and so far all of the ones I've tried do.

I really liked the sound of the 5x14 wood reference snare. Pretty much as you stated, it's got a wickedly nice dry crack to it. There is some body to it, but not a whole lot thanks to the fact it's as thick as a wall.

If you are thinking of spending more than $250 on a wood snare, (like I am considering now) look into a Unix concepts stave snare. They are supposed to have a massive crack, but more body than the thick shelled Pearl. They are affordable, and how many drummers can say they have a snare built just for them?

Perhaps Zambizzi could comment on the sound of his Unix snare.

Hmm I think I will look into building my own drum kit :D can anyone give me more companies to look at for drum kit building and how I could find out prices of my item?

Back