Share your favorite more obscure movie

Escanaba In Da Moonlight. Jeff Daniels at his most insane.

There was this movie with Hillary Swank after she won her second Oscar. It was called "The Core". Not very obscure, but the name was apt. It sucked to the core.

As far as favourite obscure movie, probably "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".

Last edited:
Somewhat obscure, Instinct. Horrible reviews and forgettable in the mainstream, it can be found on youtube.
/watch?v=EJKO7JKBzNE

The Alphabet Killer
The Wraith
Black Sheep (the Aussie zombie sheep movie, had me laughing like an idiot)
Fido
Hamburger Hill
Drive Thru
Into the Wild

And I will second Happiness. So very disturbed, my kind of film.

Not that obscure but if you want to watch something thrilling, visceral and morally ambiguous there is only one choice:

Blue Velvet.

It knocked my socks off.

Blue Velvet's nuts. First time I saw it (80s?) I'd just eaten a large falafel roll and that Hopper/Rossalini scene was so traumatic I struggled with indigestion through the whole movie. I love David Lynch. Twin Peaks ... Mulholland Drive (even more mysterious and traumatic). Eraserhead was too bleak for me, though.

Blue Velvet's nuts. First time I saw it (80s?) I'd just eaten a large falafel roll and that Hopper/Rossalini scene was so traumatic I struggled with indigestion through the whole movie. I love David Lynch. Twin Peaks ... Mulholland Drive (even more mysterious and traumatic). Eraserhead was too bleak for me, though.

Mulholland Drive is genius...but a bit disturbing; not so obscure perhaps

Blue Velvet is quite disturbing...too much for me

too bad No Country For old men is not obscure,...that would be #1 on my list. Mr Sugar is quite a disturbing fellow, but also humorous. "Do you know where I am going?"

Black Sheep (the Aussie zombie sheep movie, had me laughing like an idiot)

That one was disturbing! :)

I'll add 'Under The Rainbow'. Chevy Chase, Carrie Fisher, and lots of little people. It's a 1981 comedy about out-of-control munchkins running amuck while filming 'The Wizard of Oz'. Freakin' hilarious!

Twin Peaks. I've seen quite a bit of it (the first five or six episodes) but need to get a box set to watch it through. What I've seen is brilliant. Love David Lynch.

For more of Dennis Hopper's brand of madness, check out 'River's Edge'.

Philosophical meanderings - 'Mindwalk'.

On the lighter side - 'Same Time Next Year'.

Twin Peaks. I've seen quite a bit of it (the first five or six episodes) but need to get a box set to watch it through. What I've seen is brilliant. Love David Lynch.

I went through the box set for the first time only last week. The first half is incredible. Second half ... has its moments but not rivetting like the earlier episodes. Arthur's my favourite character - never a dull moment when he's on the screen :)

Will check out River's Edge ...

I went through the box set for the first time only last week. The first half is incredible. Second half ... has its moments but not rivetting like the earlier episodes. Arthur's my favourite character - never a dull moment when he's on the screen :)

Will check out River's Edge ...

Should I spoil it and tell you who killed Laura Palmer?

:)

Oh... Grea, you should watch Game of Thrones, once you've started, you're hooked...

River's edge, great movie, I think that one is from the eighties isn't it?

I remember twin peaks from a friend who go on about it ad nauseum, but you have tweaked my interest in it, may have to check it out.

I am still trying to pick my jaw off the floor after watching "the red wedding" episode of "game go thrones"

Thanks for your suggestions all!

Ok,I know I push sci-fi,but "Blade Runner",the directors cut,is pretty stand out stuff.

And as long as TV stuff is ok ,the new "Battlestar Galactica" series,was the best drama on TV,and not just sci-fi drama,with too many starfighter battles.Top shelf stuff all the way.Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnel head the cast.

Steve B

Not that obscure but if you want to watch something thrilling, visceral and morally ambiguous there is only one choice:

Blue Velvet.

It knocked my socks off.
My wife and I wasted two hours watching this last night because of this post! :) Honestly we felt this was just a waste of film.

My wife and I wasted two hours watching this last night because of this post! :) Honestly we felt this was just a waste of film.

It's a very disturbing flick....I don't know what year it came out, but I believe I remember watching it my senior year of high school while I was staying up all night working on building my architectural science class final project....it's still nicer than my real home, but I digress.

I did not care for it....maybe I will try again

The thread did say "more obscure movie"... "Blue Velvet" is certainly an obscure film... as much as I enjoyed Twin Peaks, I was disappointed with Blue Velvet (both by David Lynch), but hey... it is Duncan's choice... :)

A fairly obscure one: "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada", directed by and starring Tommy Lee Jones. It's a dark and moody modern western. Great movie.

Back