Louis Cato

mattsmith

Platinum Member
Louis Cato

Sorry about the draw you in title, but it's not too far off the mark. In fact he's probably the only fast rising drummer who plays in this style not in some way directly affiliated with Dennis Chambers. This is somebody I mentioned on another thread, and I wanted more people to know about him.

His name is Louis Cato, and he's currently the drummer for Brian Mcknight. He's turned into a current R&B favorite. I've known him since I was in elementary school. At the time he was like in the 8th grade writing half time show music for a local band director. I think he's 23 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OTTFv4OHM&feature=channel_page

He's also a big multi instrumentalist, plays the bass like Victor Wooten, strong brass player etc. Anyway, he's definitely on the rise.

Last edited:
Re: Funk Drumming's Next Big Thing.

Matt,
Thanks for sharing. Very impressive. I like the tiny hi hats.

Sorry about the draw you in title, but it's not too far off the mark. In fact he's probably the only fast rising drummer who plays in this style not in some way directly affiliated with Dennis Chambers

That statement is outrageously stupid.

Don't diss Matt, better watch your step, the gods (mods) might get angry

That statement is outrageously stupid.

The statement is dead on correct. There are a number of drummers this age and younger, who play in this style, have about the same level of name rec or better, and at the same time have some kind of association with Dennis Chambers. Because of that, they approach many issues from a similar perspective.

I know all about this character ^ ^ ^. He's only trying to incite and isn't worth the time. This is my last comment about that here.

This is a thread about Louis Cato, nothing else.

Last edited:

Nice playing... I sensed a tencdency toward some gospel-chop repetitive fills here. I'm not a huge fan of that snare sound. This may be a symptom of the soundman though. It just seemed really one dimensional (snare-sound), I even listend to it on external speakers. Not to take away from his obvious command of the instrument. I dig the tiny-hats as well.

This would also be a good clip for the "What happens when I drop a stick" thread. You see it right there, even exposed in a solo like that. Just do your best to pick one up and keep on shredding.

Definitely a lot of youthful energy here. I definitely dig it overall, I'll definitely keep an eye out for his name on youtube.

Back