Beat concept

Jaford-Jr

Sup..so I was told to start practicing different beats at the..so before I start im trying to get the concept down but when I try it in my head I can't really think of 2 different beat derived from different source... It seems that just about all beats are derived from one beat... My question is how do I this

On a side note: how to find drummers or musicians my age around where i live so we can jam & start a band

Last edited:
Learn your rudiments. You'll be surprised at how many beats and rhythms you can come up with that stem from basic rudiments. Get em' down, then put the right hand on the hats, the left on the snare, pay around with the ghosts and accents, add the bass drum and see what you can come up with......you could potentially be there forever. You may end up not playing exactly the same sticking, but the rhythms of many of the rudiments can certainly lead to some great ideas that you can then adapt into some funky sounding beats.

Try adding in some ghost notes and utilise some doubles and triples between the bass and snare. You have to make them fit in via whatever time signature yur playing. Another thing I like to do with beats is getting familiar with a particular beat I hear in a song and just wind up changing it up alittle by inserting doubles, ghost notes, switching up the tempo, or switching from say 8th notes to 16th notes on the hats or ride. Little changes makes different beats. But in reality, being familiar with serveral time signatures is a plus also.

Back