DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Drum Bags, "Protection Racket". Are they good or great?.

I'm looking to get some quality Drum Bags and I heard the Protection Racket bags are pretty good.
Does anyone have any experiance with them and are they good or great (for bags and not hard cases anyway) ?.

Are there better bags for the money?.

Thanks IA
Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Bags, "Protection Racket". Are they good or great?.

I have one Protection Racket bag for a 9x13 tom, and it's built pretty well. I would recommend them to drummers. Nice thick furry padding inside, good heavy canvas on the outside. A pretty good strap, and high quality zipper.

As with any bag, you might have to Scotch Guard these in case they get a little wet, but they're nice. The only other bag I've owned was the Beato Bags (their top-flight blue bags with the red handle) those are good too, but just as expensive.

Not interested in cases? I see these Gator hard case sets for as little as $300 for a complete 5-piece set. I just bought one of those for my Tamas.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 AM

yeah these are good cases but only if you transport your drums yourself etc...........if you go on tour then I would not recommend these because thrown into a van with amps and guitars your drums will be damaged pretty quickly
Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 AM

also I would not recommend Protection Racket if your drums are gold plated lugs and rims.............my Masterworks are 24k carat gold lugs and rims and I had Ragone hard cases which were good then switched to Protection Racket and well the Gold has gone dull being in these cases ; - (
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
also I would not recommend Protection Racket if your drums are gold plated lugs and rims.............my Masterworks are 24k carat gold lugs and rims and I had Ragone hard cases which were good then switched to Protection Racket and well the Gold has gone dull being in these cases ; - (
Didn't they tell you the gold plated drum kit is suppose to live under glass in your home-museum? Taking it out for gigs? That's crazy talk! ;)

Got any pictures of that kit?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know if they're any good, because I'm not walking onto a gig carrying anything with those jive logos on it. I've been happy with every Beato bag I've purchased- mostly the inexpensive Pro 3 series. I also used Tuxedo bags in the past, but their quality control seems to be suffering recently.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Best bags out there for the money IMO. I have a few PR drum cases (snares) and their top end cymbal cases. As already mentioned, for anything other than transporting your own gear, get good quality hard cases. There's no substitute for hard cases when touring, but get the good stuff. Some so called hard cases are too floppy. For transporting your own gear, soft cases are certainly the way to go. Much easier to fit into a standard car. The problem comes when your gear is moved by others or stored side stage & out of your direct care. If soft cases are right for your situation, then you can't do better than PR & their top end cymbal case is just the best thing out there.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Me teacher is endorsed by them and he really likes them, sometimes people get endorsed and they do it for the discounts, but my teacher really likes them a lot. I have no experience with bags or cases but I do know that the ones I've seen of his do like they are very high quality.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM

I've had my set of cases for about 4 years. No problems with tears or zips as yet and thats with 2-3 times a week usage.

The deluxe cymbal bag is really good investment, I suggest spending a little more on the hardware case that comes with wheels. I didn't.... :(
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I have one for my 26" kick. I love it, I have taken this thing from coast to coast on multiple tours and the stitching and zipper are still like new. My kick is really really heaven too, and because my case is an older one it only has one handel on it, no straps or handels on the top of bottem of the case, so all the weight is pulling on that one handel, and it's still like new!
YouTube
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

I've just about replaced all the oddball bags I had with Protection Racket. I've had Kaces, GC's house RoadRunner, simple vinyl bags and some other things that came with the various drums when I bought them. Also, I've looked at the Beato and other bags at stores.

Soft bags are for local folks, not for touring. But the PR stuff just seems better made than the competition. Doesn't start falling apart, splitting seams, zippers jamming and so on. The only one that seems close is the Kases.

I particularly like their cymbal bag. Better edge protection than anything else I'd found in a soft bag and the dividers give you a much better feeling that your pies are protected than thin sheets of nylon.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

These are some great reviews guys.

Yeah, my 6 pc shell pack was only $650. and Im just getting back into playing so no big tours here, only local and semi local gigs probably so I dont need anything super strong.
If a tom got busted (which i've never really heard of happening) I wouldnt exactly eat a bottle of pills or anything, but at the same time I want good/reliable protection, especially for the lacquer finish.

I am gonna need a medium size hard case for my stands and what not but it has to have wheels, a strap inside and be relatively inexpensive.

Anyone have any ideas?.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

Excellent bags, fairly priced.

Their deluxe cymbal bag is the tits.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Bo Eder here is my Masterworks

Day in the Studio so I only took 10" and 14" Toms..............also have 8" and 12" Toms but don't use them that much these days.....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=e2b6fde172
Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
Bo Eder here is my Masterworks

Day in the Studio so I only took 10" and 14" Toms..............also have 8" and 12" Toms but don't use them that much these days.....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=e2b6fde172
Nice pictures! Those are really pretty. 20" bass drum? I'm surprised they didn't put 20 lugs on it. My Tama Bubinga has 20 lugs - a little overkill, but nice!

Any recordings we can hear? (I know, I'm asking for everything - feel free to decline!)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
I am gonna need a medium size hard case for my stands and what not but it has to have wheels, a strap inside and be relatively inexpensive.

Anyone have any ideas?.
I have an SKB golf bag hard case that I got from a sports consignment shop for something like $80. I use if for mic stands, but if I wanted to collapse everything down I' sure I could fit a gigs worth of hardware in there. As it is, I found this LP nylon golf bag like thing with an aluminum frame, 5" wheels and a zipper down the front. I just leave all the booms and whatnot however they are in the set up and let them stick out the top of this thing with the zipper halfway up. I wrap a bungee cord around it too so that it doesn't try to fall open. You can't turn it upside down, but I can roll it around and lay it in the back of my van with no problems. Saves on set up time when all I have to do is fold out the legs and put them down.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My Tama Bubinga has 20 lugs
Lug snob() Get better hoops!