Simple home recording advice

jstorey4

I'm looking to record some video of my playing at home and post to youtube. I'm doing this for the purpose of setting up a page I can send people to when looking for different bands to play in. Sort of an online resume.

I have good mic's (Audix D6 for kick, AKG tom mics, and some SM57's), but no condensers. I have a few laptop PC's with at least a Gb of RAM. I've got a cheap webcam and an older Sony Camcorder that records to that digital tape. Not sure the best way to use what I got or just go out and get more equipment. Just looking for an inexpensive set up that will allow me to get some decent vids worthy of showing off my skills. Thanks for the help.

I record my video and audio by different methods then combine them with windows moviemaker. My video is simply a Canon powershot camera, my audio is a little more elaborate since I record semi-professionally. Got D6, 3 57s and 2 AT3035 running into a Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0, output to Cubase DAW. Convert audio to mp3, load both video and audio to moviemaker, sync up, edit....

One of the cheapest and simplest ways I know of is video through a video camera and audio rec. through a mini disc recorder, if you run all your mics through a small mixer and out to the recorder you will get a very decent sound. If you have cubase even better, you can drop the wav file that the md recorder gives you and edit away reverb, etc....

I record my video and audio by different methods then combine them with windows moviemaker. My video is simply a Canon powershot camera, my audio is a little more elaborate since I record semi-professionally. Got D6, 3 57s and 2 AT3035 running into a Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0, output to Cubase DAW. Convert audio to mp3, load both video and audio to moviemaker, sync up, edit....

Similar to what I do, except I found it a lot easier to use Sony Vegas (I have 7, but I believe 8 is out). . .

Basically anything that will allow to mute the camera's mic, and insert your own quality sound is gonna be a good idea.

Back