DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:20 AM

Default Tips for a self taught drummer?

I've been playing drum set for about a year now but haven't improved as much as I want to. Financially, I am unable to take lessons. Any self taught drummers have tips for improving? Should I first build a good foundation of rudiments on the snare? I also want to learn jazz but have little experience in reading music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5d34gcxdQ
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Tips for a self taught drummer?

"patience"

practice everyday.
read/play your drum books (if you cant afford a teacher)
drumchannel has lessons for a small monthly fee
when stuff is hard to play,... play it slow, get use to it and then bring it up to speed!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

I teach myself... and if I was going to recommend some material I would tell you to start here:

Tommy Igoe's great hands for a lifetime DVD
Benny Greb's language of drumming DVD
Stick control (book)
Metronome
Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 AM

I'll second that Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands" DVD is great. Just take it at a pace you're comfortable with. I've also heard great things about JoJo Mayers DVD, but I've yet to watch it. From what I've heard, it seems to be the best technique DVD of all time.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

Tommy's is better because it's practical. Jojo's is like a showcase of different techniques that make you go 'hmmm' and then you'll never watch it again, Tommy's is something that you sit down and play along with everyday.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

My advice is smooth out your technique and be mindful of potential damage to your body. With practice, you'll improve over time, even without books or dvd's (although I agree with what the other members are posting) but it's hard to unlearn poor grip or overworking tendons, etc.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:32 AM

As a self taught drummer I can offer two pieces of advise. 1. Practice (rudiments, foot technique, basic beats, the whole shebang) 2. YouTube. That place helped me a lot. There are many good drums that teach very well for free. I would recommend spikeydrummer, he helped me a lot.
Hope I could help.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Just play and play a lot!

Most importantly, don't worry about sucking! For the most part (unless another drummer's listening to you) nobody else who hears you will notice.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Only got one thing to say. Practice the rudiments! http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

The rudiments is the main thing that you need to be told to practice and is the biggest difference between self-taught and teacher-taught.
I'm speaking only from my own experience now. I learned songs in the beginning and as soon as I encountered a problem I searched up videos on that... For example how to handle tricky bass-patterns I searched foot-technique and found heel toe and so on... The rudiments is not something you will think of by yourself.

I also recommend the DVDs mention earlier especially Language of drumming - Benny Greb.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Tommy's is better because it's practical. Jojo's is like a showcase of different techniques that make you go 'hmmm' and then you'll never watch it again, Tommy's is something that you sit down and play along with everyday.
I have to say, Tommy's DVD really does make you want to join in. I also like his personality. He's funny and down-to-earth. A good DVD should make you want to grab your sticks and plan along.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Books, videos and the Internet are fine, but you need contact with people. Play music with anyone who will play with you, make friends with and hang out with other drummers, and see drummers play in person. Get into any free music programs you can-- school band, community band, drum corps, whatever.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Many more exp'd players than I have already advised.... But, my 2 cents is don't try too hard. By that, I mean, your purpose is to BE the beat. To drive the bus. The fancy stuff is secondary to that simple necessity.

That said, I was out of drumming for a long time, and getting back into it, I now have the Internet. Use YouTube (I like the Drumeo people), and look for the basics and work on them. ie: search paradiddles 101 on Google and you will get a good start.

I played for nearly 15 years mostly ignoring fundamentals and did "ok". Now, 30 years later, I am just learning them, and realizing how important they are.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Use a metronome. Absolutely vital, IMO
Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Dont be too hard on yourself. Drumming is a complex skill, keep practicing and it will improve. With regard to Jazz. Listen to one piece you like, over and over again until you have it in your head. Start on the kit, playing it as slowly as you need to get it right. Do it in stages, bar by bar.
Whatever you do keep playing, improvement tends to come in steps, not a steadily rising line.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:21 PM

Learn to use the search engine on here.Many answers from different opinions
Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Books, videos and the Internet are fine, but you need contact with people. Play music with anyone who will play with you, make friends with and hang out with other drummers, and see drummers play in person. Get into any free music programs you can-- school band, community band, drum corps, whatever.
My words would echo what Todd is saying here. I played 30 years without a "lesson". Actually, I think I could use a few lessons. I wouldn't even know where to begin. But what I am good at is listening and figuring out a way to get it done like you hear it on the records. I've never studied the rudiments intensely, although I should have been doing that, but what I have done is played with people any and every chance I'd get. Be a yes man. Just say yes to jamming. Solo practice is fine, but you want to develop your jamming skills and your confidence too.

Nowadays, you can play just about anything and I'll find a beat for it. I'll keep it going too without a chart, without a plan, without any real direction and make it solid, interesting, groovy (haha), and dynamic. You are the drummer and you steer the boat a lot of the time too, but what you really have to learn to do is learn how to listen. This will help develop your creativity too.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitely pick up the Stick Control Book and build a good snare technique. As for learning jazz, should I first build a good foundation of rock/funk drumming? I can play the basic swing beat, some comping patterns, and fills. However, I feel like my timing is not steady w/out a metronome. Also would being able to read music help me become a better jazz drummer? I know how to read basic stuff like quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes, but anything beyond that is just confusing. I really want to audition for my college jazz band at some point...

Also any youtube channels you guys recommend for lessons? I would prefer someone who sets you on a solid path to learning, instead of just teaching you random beats/fills.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Learn to read music ! It all builds from here. Reading music opens up so many opportunities for you to increase your abilities. Check put Pat Petrillo's DVD package " Learn to read rhythms better". This will help get you going.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquach View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitely pick up the Stick Control Book and build a good snare technique. As for learning jazz, should I first build a good foundation of rock/funk drumming? I can play the basic swing beat, some comping patterns, and fills. However, I feel like my timing is not steady w/out a metronome. Also would being able to read music help me become a better jazz drummer? I know how to read basic stuff like quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes, but anything beyond that is just confusing. I really want to audition for my college jazz band at some point...
The only way to do that is to talk to the guy running that band, tell him that you're interested in getting into the group, and ask him for an audition, and/or for help/suggestions for getting some experience playing jazz-- maybe they'll place you in a beginning combo, or something. At least you should ask to listen in on some rehearsals, so you can get an idea of what will be expected of you. You will get more useful information watching a couple of rehearsals than you will learn from 100 hours on YouTube-- I mean that literally.

Just "practicing jazz" in the abstract, with no knowledge of the situation you are hoping to get into, will be nothing but guess work, and won't get you there.

You know more than I knew when I signed up for jazz band in high school. Go talk to some people and start playing.

Quote:
Also any youtube channels you guys recommend for lessons? I would prefer someone who sets you on a solid path to learning, instead of just teaching you random beats/fills.
There are none that I am aware of. Nearly all of them just show you how to make a pattern, and waste a lot of time re-explaining very basic s___. There are good videos at the Jazz Heaven site, and the Vic Firth site-- at least they contain good information-- they are still not a complete program.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Anon La Ply
This message has been deleted by Anon La Ply.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

All the advice provided is sound.. such as learn to read, get the right material to work with, play with others, etc...

Some day you may or may not want to hook up with a real life teacher who can provide specific feedback on every aspect of it is of what / how you are doing things.

At some point, no matter how many lessons we've taken and no matter how many teachers we've studied with, we all become self-taught based upon our experiences playing with others and serious in-depth quality time listening to a wide array of music (not only just the drummer).

Once we've learned all the rules appropriately - no matter from what source - it becomes a filtering process where we discard / keep what we personally want to in order to express ourselves musically. Being able to read well though will remain a constant though in my opinion. It's the musical side of your own playing where things evolve based upon all of the influences you have and will experience over a long duration of time.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The internet is full of drum lessons if you search. Just remember that different sources may offer conflicting advice or opinion, so choose what suits you.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Consultant

My advice to you when checking out internet drum lessons is to always consider the source.

If a pro player/teacher like Tommy Igoe says something, for example, it should carry much more weight with you than if "MetalDrummer4eva" (a made up handle) posts something.

There are way too many self-proclaimed experts on the web. Just make sure you don't spin your wheels working on something that's either not appropriate for you or just plain wrong.

Tips that guaranty to "double your speed in two days" are nonsense. Don't fall into the trap that some magic technique is going to bypass thousands of hours of practice.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Have your drums next to something you can play tunes you like on and play along with the recordings. Ref wanting to play jazz.....start by listening to a song you like then try and play along with the recording...mimicking what you hear...everyone copies at first before you develop your own style.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Record yourself playing and get some of your fellow drummers on DW to give you tips. Take the criticism seriously and learn from the comments.

One year isn't very long. Trust me, if you keep practicing you will improve. Make sure you don't pick up bad habits by posting vids.

Davo