how can a beginner drummer find a band

If you are of age, you can go to bars etc that host open jams. Check out your local music scene. If you are young , lets say in your teens, there are usually all ages shows. mingle with the kids there. There's always talk about getting bands started. I guess it helps if you are social.

Every paying gig I've done for the last 30+ years, whether it was as a band member or freelance, came directly or indirectly from contacts I made playing in school based bands; high school and college bands. If you are of school age, participate in school band. If you are out of school, and don't have contacts, you need to create some. Go out and meet those that are playing. You might not get in their band, but they may be able to refer you to others. Good luck.

They way i found a band was to start with friends, i'd never even considered playing any instrument until my friend said he wanted to play bass and he would need a drummer to start a band, hey presto i started playing drums. Try and persuade some of your friends to take up guitar and bass etc that way you can all monitor your progress as a band together and progress together! It is also great fun.

I looked at the classifieds in music shops. I eventually had look with joinmyband.co.uk I think it's a Uk thing though. Just search the web for band joining sites.

-Networking with friends can be extremely useful, especially as they can provide input on the bands credibility, and can save you from disasters

-Internet sites (kijiji, craiglists, etc.)

-Stores are great, there are always new bands looking for members.

I would focuse on networking, even just going to more local shows, meeting the band, get your foot in the door so to speak.

Back