The development of taste

My tastes have changed, but I never get tired of the old stuff either.

I still get as much pleasure listening to an old Rush album or an early U2 album now as I did when I was a teen. From Pink Floyd and The Who to Triumph and Aldo Nova, I have the past well represented, and I still listen to it all.

But my CD collection is constantly growing and expanding.

A few years back, I added Linkin Park (and yes, I'm way to old for them).
I'm always looking for well made obscure darkwave bands, (Tear Wave anyone?)

Lately, I have been exploring and buying albums from European metal bands like Dead Soul Tribe, Katatonia, Within Temptation, Leave's Eye, Before the Dawn, and such.

I can't imagine just staying put and just listening to the same thing over and over again. I need a constant flow of new inspiration. But at the same time, I can't toss aside a great album just because it's old.

I'm still a pretty young dude, 15, and my taste grows and develops all the time. It's not that I'm becoming more narrow-minded, but the very opposite! I discover new bands within a matter of weeks and I ingest as much as I can! I've always thought that a maturing taste in music is healthy for any musician. I mean what good is it to like the same kind of music and bands for ten years?

I'm still a pretty young dude, 15, and my taste grows and develops all the time. It's not that I'm becoming more narrow-minded, but the very opposite! I discover new bands within a matter of weeks and I ingest as much as I can! I've always thought that a maturing taste in music is healthy for any musician. I mean what good is it to like the same kind of music and bands for ten years?

Sounds like you have a great perspective. If you're hoping to become a working drummer, listen to, practice and master as many musical styles as you can. You're right; its very healthy and will make you much more well-rounded musician. As a drummer, its easy to slip into different situations, if you have a wide musical base and can authentically cop many styles.

listen to, practice and master as many musical styles as you can. You're right; its very healthy and will make you much more well-rounded musician. As a drummer, its easy to slip into different situations, if you have a wide musical base and can authentically cop many styles.

well said.. and often these different styles come together in your playing that makes your playing very uniquely yours.

as someone dead & famous said " dont be a second rate tony williams/bonham/peart/weckl/colauita.

be a first rate you.

well said.. and often these different styles come together in your playing that makes your playing very uniquely yours.

as someone dead & famous said " dont be a second rate tony williams/bonham/peart/weckl/colauita.

be a first rate you.
Of course, you're right. Even in my case where a very limited palate of styles converge to create a sound that's uniquely the same as everyone else's!

LOL! Andy, not you, but that happens too, I suppose. Cookie cutter drummers - They've all cranked out the same exercises, worked the same books, liked the same drummers and sometimes sound very uniquely, like everyone else : ).. Its a copycat mindset, I think..

Fingerprints, snowflakes, thats what we're looking for..

Back