slight ping sound on my snare?

Nick G.

when i say "slight" i actually mean massively disgusting :p

so its a gretsch catalina maple snare
obviously not the best around
and i know im not the best at tuning :D

but it seems that on all the snare drums i try to tune i get a horrible high overtone

ive put an e-ring on which gets rid of this but i feel it chokes the drum to much and i dont wana have to always rely on them to get me out of it :D

does anyone know what i could be doing wrong or a way of doing it right/putting it right?

Thanks

What head are you using. I use Evans HD Dry on my snares. There is some ring next to the edge but the center of the head at just a good crack the way I tune.

What head are you using. I use Evans HD Dry on my snares. There is some ring next to the edge but the center of the head at just a good crack the way I tune.

well its the original gretsch head, havent decided what to get on them yet^

but it happened on my old kit that had an ambassador on it aswell

Is your kit in the same spot? I mean, some of the ring could be simply the acoustics of the room you are playing in and where you are sitting in that room. The HD dry is a great head if you are looking for a new one. The holes in the side take away some of that ring. When I had the head I ended up playing a little off the center because I wanted some of that ring.

Is your kit in the same spot? I mean, some of the ring could be simply the acoustics of the room you are playing in and where you are sitting in that room. The HD dry is a great head if you are looking for a new one. The holes in the side take away some of that ring. When I had the head I ended up playing a little off the center because I wanted some of that ring.

hmm this could be it^

maybe ill ask my neighbour to bring his black beauty round and see if i have the same problem^

do u guys have any recommendations for a full set of heads on the gretsch catalina maple?

either coated or not i dont mind :)

I have Renowns but I have tried 4 different combos so far and for my money, Evans coated G2's over Evans clear G1's have been my favorite. It gets expensive trying s lot of heads.

I have Renowns but I have tried 4 different combos so far and for my money, Evans coated G2's over Evans clear G1's have been my favorite. It gets expensive trying s lot of heads.

and then a hd dry on the snare? over what?
how quickly do the coated heads get marked? or how often do they need replacing?

also, what does the coated part actually do?

I use a hazy 300............... My coated heads last a good bit of time. The coating just kills a minute bit of sustain. There is also a Clear G2 if you prefer.
How often depends on how often you play and how you play. I change my heads long before any of the coating comes off mainly because of the beating they take.

I use a hazy 300............... My coated heads last a good bit of time. The coating just kills a minute bit of sustain. There is also a Clear G2 if you prefer.
How often depends on how often you play and how you play. I change my heads long before any of the coating comes off mainly because of the beating they take.

well i dont have the money to replace heads every 6 months or so
but i dont want my drums looking ugly with marked heads

although i do think think the coated heads do look really nice :)

how often do you change your resonant head?

when i say "slight" i actually mean massively disgusting :p

so its a gretsch catalina maple snare
obviously not the best around
and i know im not the best at tuning :D

but it seems that on all the snare drums i try to tune i get a horrible high overtone

ive put an e-ring on which gets rid of this but i feel it chokes the drum to much and i dont wana have to always rely on them to get me out of it :D

does anyone know what i could be doing wrong or a way of doing it right/putting it right?

Thanks

It's your tuning mate. Read up on the tuning threads on this forum and check out the Bob Gatzen vids on youtube.

I have the same kit....I actually don't use the snare, but for giggles I threw a coated emp over a snare side amb and was surprised at how well it tuned up, given that I'd read several threads canning it. Admitedly, it ain't the greatest....but you actually can get a good sound out of it. Your statement "but it seems that on all the snare drums i try to tune i get a horrible high overtone" tells me it ain't the drum.

Keep practising mate....tuning is an art form in itself IMO and takes some time to develop a feel for.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It's your tuning mate. Read up on the tuning threads on this forum and check out the Bob Gatzen vids on youtube.

I have the same kit....I actually don't use the snare, but for giggles I threw a coated emp over a snare side amb and was surprised at how well it tuned up, given that I'd read several threads canning it. Admitedly, it ain't the greatest....but you actually can get a good sound out of it. Your statement "but it seems that on all the snare drums i try to tune i get a horrible high overtone" tells me it ain't the drum.

Keep practising mate....tuning is an art form in itself IMO and takes some time to develop a feel for.

Good luck.

yeh thats what i meant wen i said its all the snare drums ive tuned, sorry bad wording

i know its cos im not very good at tuning, and was wondering whether any one knows how to fix it?

could it be my resonant head is to high?

was kinda hoping for some quick sugestions but also something better than the factory heads might help :)

do u guys have any recommendations for a full set of heads on the gretsch catalina maple?

either coated or not i dont mind :)

I've been really happy with coated emps over clear ambs on the toms and PS3's as batter and reso on the kick. All drums played wide open...no gaffer, moongel, pillows etc.

hey Nick G -- nice to meet you.

signed,
nickg

:) :)

Where and how you hit the drum is a big factor in how much ring you get. Hit dead center w/ just the tip, presto, most of the ring is gone! Tune that reso pretty tight on snares, batter on the tight side, it should sound great. I'm also a big fan of coated emps or coated G2's as batters.

Back