DW Drums & Evans EC2 Clear heads

vanarie

After playing one gig with Aquarian StudioX coated heads on the toms as suggested by the site I mentioned in my review, I was still unsatisfied with the results. The toms sounded too papery and didn't give me the resonance I was looking for.

I switched to Evans EC2 Clear. For rock or general playing, these sound the best to my ears. The dampener ring cuts down on the overtones but still gives you a nice warm sound when struck. I need little to no extra dampening on the 10". I did use one moongel on the 12" tom and 14" floor. I can imagine that these heads would also sound very good miced up, though I don't use mics for my regular gig.

For jazz, you would probably want to go with a thinner, single ply head to get a sharper tone, but I'm sticking with Evans EC2s for now. I hope this helps those who are spending a lot of money searching for the right head for these drums! They really do sound great.

Full review of DW Collector's Series drums: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=533952

I'm surprised you needed moon gel with the EC2 especially if you play unmic'd have you had someone play your kit while you stand 10-15 ft away to see how it sounds from out front? The sound behind your kit is not the same as out front. What may sound like too much resonance from the drivers seat usually translates into a nice sounding drum out front!

After playing one gig with Aquarian StudioX coated heads on the toms as suggested by the site I mentioned in my review, I was still unsatisfied with the results. The toms sounded too papery and didn't give me the resonance I was looking for.

I switched to Evans EC2 Clear. For rock or general playing, these sound the best to my ears. The dampener ring cuts down on the overtones but still gives you a nice warm sound when struck. I need little to no extra dampening on the 10". I did use one moongel on the 12" tom and 14" floor. I can imagine that these heads would also sound very good miced up, though I don't use mics for my regular gig.

For jazz, you would probably want to go with a thinner, single ply head to get a sharper tone, but I'm sticking with Evans EC2s for now. I hope this helps those who are spending a lot of money searching for the right head for these drums! They really do sound great.

Full review of DW Collector's Series drums: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=533952

Wow, Moongel on top of an EC2? Thats a pretty dead sounding combo. Glad it works for you but I couldn't use it.

I use EC2's on my DW's and have to agree, there is no need to use moongels with the EC2's. If it sounds bad to you when your playing, wear some headphones. I would bet it sounds great to the folks standing out front.

You're probably right about it sounding better from the audience seat. I've been playing the house kit with totally open toms that are very flat, so when I bring my own kit in, they sound really resonant.

EC2 & Moongels are probably overkill.

Back