Headphones for Drumming?

????

why would room size matter when choosing headphones ? especially isolation headphones which are meant to block out room sounds ?

12 x 15.

In my experience, a small room requires better ear protection since the sound is moving a smaller distance, thus coming back to you with greater power if I'm not mistaken.

In my experience, a small room requires better ear protection since the sound is moving a smaller distance, thus coming back to you with greater power if I'm not mistaken.

hmm. ok.

the Ex-29ś do a fine job for me.

as always YMMV. (your mileage may vary) : )

I had the Firth's. Isolated very well but u paid a price for that over the hiurs as they are tight. Also they do not have frequency extremes. You will here the bass hit but not the low end of the drum itself. The highs are down too but that can be fixed by modifying the ear foam pieces.

I just got the 280s. Great freq extremes.I can hear the whole bass drum. The highs are excellent but a bit wearing over time with rides. (I added foam to fix this). More comfortable that the Firth's by far. But they don't isolate quite as well. On balance I like these. (They are also lower imp so they are louder with same vol setting)

Thats very true. When I built a 10ft x10ft drum room in my garage my drums were suddenly 'unbearably' loud (especially the snare!).

I used to do what others here do, in ear buds with industrial hearing protection headphones over them. Worked pretty good actually. I now use custom IEM's, better isolation and sound reproduction but much more expensive.

Some suggestions for drumming with molded earplugs and headphones with like semiclosed phones, I want to hear quite much live sound from the drums. Thanks!

Beyerdynamic DT100s are the 'classic' tracking headphone, I've tracked with them and they do an admirable job. They're not the greatest sounding pair of cans though and if you actually want to do anything more than tracking, I'd start considering something higher end. Sony MD7506s are a decent start in the closed-back mid-range all-purpose headphone, Sennheiser HD280s are a slightly cheaper option.

Be warned to check the actual attenuation that the cans offer - they might say 'noise-reducing' or words to that effect, but you should be aiming for something with a serious attenuation and do some shopping around. In ears are another option, but more expensive.

Do you need these headphones to have mixing capability or are the entirely for tracking?

How big is your room? I think size of the room is important when choosing headphones, and I'm looking for some new ones too..

Certainly important considering monitor speakers, but headphones?! You're reading rather odd back issues of Sound on Sound. The level of attenuation might matter more in a smaller room, but if you're actually using a decent pair of tracking headphones, it shouldn't matter at all.

I need it for tracking and I want to have headphones where I still hear my drums acoustic.
I want to protect my ears with my molded earplugs first and then have my headphones.
I have until now just used Koss Porta Pro, but I want something similar but with better sound and more consistent eq if you understand.

I just got some nice skullcandy GI Headphones and Im really happy with them... I would definatly recomend them to anyone...

Great sound, full bass, and you cant beat the $60 price tag

I've heard the same, and have chosen ear protection based on the same advice. A small room with reflective (hard, smooth) surfaces will kill your ears sooner than a room that's either significantly larger or one that's more absorbent.

I just got some nice skullcandy GI Headphones and Im really happy with them... I would definatly recomend them to anyone...

Great sound, full bass, and you cant beat the $60 price tag
Do you also use molded earplugs? I'm afraid that I will damage my ears if I not have my earplugs. I also like to hear my drums acoustic a little bit. How many db damps the GI headphones?

Right now I'm thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser's 280 Pro Headphones. I read a lot of good reviews about them.

I want them to play with a click with the band in rehearsal and maybe live. Do you think they'll be OK for that?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser's 280 Pro Headphones. I read a lot of good reviews about them.

I want them to play with a click with the band in rehearsal and maybe live. Do you think they'll be OK for that?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

They'll do a fine job.

To the poster banging on about small rooms, I'll repeat:

Small rooms are not an issue when your headphones have adequate isolation.

I just picked up some Shure SRH440's brand new on CL for $60 (GC price $100) so I'm very stoked.
But, my question to y'all is do they work well for isolation and practicing to CD's.

The good thing is, I have had them on for about three hours now and I have pretty much forgot that I have them on. Feels like I'm just listening to music in the room.
They sound great and are pretty comfy.

Ok so I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 212pro and they're great, but they don't cut out enough sound to really use for drummings

so I'm just asking what you guys would suggest

I think the Sennheiser 280 with -32 db noise cancellation looks great but then again there are most likely other headphones with better noise cancellation

oh and they can't be ultra expensive, like 200 Australian dollars or less.

I have used the 280 pros for 2 years now at practice in an isolation booth and use them directly into my rolands at home...they do the job quite well for me

Back