New band video debut...

Derek Roddy

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hey guys,

I just got word that our official music video has been released and, I wanted to share it with you all because it's not something drummers are used to hearing me play. Haha. Thought y'all might dig on it.

The band is called MENACE
The song is "I live With Your Ghost"

Enjoy and rock. Sorry for the spam post...I genuinely thought y'all would dig this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRk9bzih4M

D

Not spam at all Derek! :)

Now this connects with me so much more than the material you're known for. Loving the power, & also the vocal hook. The refrain section even has echos of early 80's Yes, & I'm loving that.

Got to admit, first 1 minute in, I thought the drums were too much. Grooving like a steam train, but too many notes. As I settled into the track, my opinion changed, & on second listen, they just felt right. There's a drum track disconnect from expectation, but that slight curved ball really works, & sets the piece aside from the crowd.

Still think you need some higher tuned toms though ;) ;) ;)

Haha, thanks Andy. It's funny but, Mitch wanted me to make the track busier and busier as I was recording ideas for it. It wasn't until I heard my final version that I understood what he was wanting me to do. Guitarist have a weird way of explaining beats to us!

Hard thinking outside the box on something so simple (at least to what I'm used too! Haha)

Glad you dug it. Different for sure.

Cheers,
D

I thought it was a very innovative approach to the groove, and the video was pretty cool too. Thanks for sharing, man.... much respect.

Overplaying at its best. Smile... Good stuff all around. Great animations and you guys sound tight. I shall be awaiting The Ides of March eve.

Really good. Elements of stuff like Mastadon and Tool, etc.

The overplaying comment was in response to A running joke or comment Derek made while at a clinic here. That was the reason for the SMILE

I like it. The drumming did seem a bit much at some spots to me first but I grew into it.
Having listened to it a few more times, everything makes sense. Nice mix also.
The video is quite cool, too! Great work so far. (And definitely no spam, haha.)

Last edited:
Very nice, some nice tidy playing, still some slick double pedal work, but in no way overbearing. Thanks for posting.

Loved it! Thanks for sharing the video Derek!

I really dig it. The music feels good and the playing is stellar. I like the video, too! Not my usual style of listening music but I could listen to this all day.

Wow, I expecting "chug-chug" guitars and cookie monster vocals.

So refreshing to hear your playing outside of that context!

Catching song too.

Curse my throttled internets!

Will have to watch it tomorrow when the SPEEEED is back :(

Very nice. I looked, but didn't find the "other work". Any posted on the tube?

You mean you can play less than 240 BPM? Lol JK. Derek you melt right into this track. What a pro. Proving your versatility. And you're right, it was enjoyable. Love your work, its a rare treat when you post your playing, much respect. What a privilege it is to have you here. Were the drums tracked by themselves or did you record as part of a rhythm section?

Derek, I was hoping for a drum cam only video..hahahaha great job man! I need better speakers to hear it though, the drums aren't coming through enough on my laptop. I like the song.

Back