Yamaha Tour Custom then...and now??

Jay Fitz

When I decided to get my first pro drum set, it was 1986 and I just graduated high school, getting ready to attend Berklee. I decided that I was going to invest in a Yamaha kit, because all the studio cats played them (Gadd, Weckl, Larri Londin, etc) and I always loved how their drums sounded. So I ordered a Power Tour Custom 5 piece in Red Wood finish with matching snare. A year or so later I ordered an additional smaller 10" tom to make the kit a 6 piece. That set, and the hardware lasted me for many, many years through many gigs, studio sessions, different styles of music, with different set up variations, etc. Then, when I needed a smaller set for the smaller venues I was playing a few years later, well, it was a Rick Marotta HipGig of course! About ten years ago I found a vintage Rogers 4 piece kit for $500 on CL and grabbed it. I then went into my vintage Rogers phase and built on that set and do love it. But now, I'm looking at a another set, that I'd like to be new, have flexible tuning, and in basic sizes. Funnily, the new Yamaha Tour Custom is looking like an excellent candidate for its sonic flexibility, build quality and price point.

So....my question....the sizes of the new Tour Custom are all about one inch smaller depth than standard. Ironically, I think my original Power Tour Customs were 1 inch longer/deeper than standard, so these are closer to the smaller sizes I am digging these days. Do you think that these drums will hold their own in years to come? Or, will they be looked upon as "Yeah, that was the affordable line from Yamaha that had weird sizes". Just curious. It wont really sway me one way or another. Anyone have these drums that can provide opinions?

I find it humorous, as well as a testament to the brand, that I'm looking at another, totally different Tour Custom set, 32 years later!!

BTW, this picture of Larry Londin in Modern Drummer c. 1984 is what made me decide on my original Power Tour Customs in the Redwood finish. I could not afford the Recording Customs so got the next line down!
ll-1.jpeg

So....my question....the sizes of the new Tour Custom are all about one inch smaller depth than standard. Ironically, I think my original Power Tour Customs were 1 inch longer/deeper than standard, so these are closer to the smaller sizes I am digging these days.

Do you think that these drums will hold their own in years to come? Or, will they be looked upon as "Yeah, that was the affordable line from Yamaha that had weird sizes". Just curious. It wont really sway me one way or another. Anyone have these drums that can provide opinions?

Sizes are considered old and carryover New Skool 'standard'. 8x12 and 9x13 especially. The 80's/90's were actually 2" larger. When I played YAMAHA in the 90's I remember 9x10 10x12 and 12x13 Proper 'power toms' of the day were square sized (12x12 etc.).

All YAMAHA sets 'hold their own' as the years wear on. Of note if kept with the kit are the inverse hoops. But no wierd sizes here with the New TOUR CUSTOM.

Down the road hip colour? My guess being Butterscotch, not because of how it sits today, but as the years roll on what shade(s) Butterscotch will turn into, that being the unknown. Butterscotch is the blondest finish YAMAHA has put out in awhile, it'll probably darken with age.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 11.59.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 11.59.53 PM.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 176
For Yamaha's size listings: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/drum_sets/index.html

With Rydeens, Stage Customs, Tour Customs, and Live Oaks you go with their stock depths.
If you want to have a choice of depths, you go further up the line starting with the Maple Hybrids. But even with those the depth choices are only an inch different.
So depths have generally gotten shallower over the years, but the Tour Customs are in line with what other manufacturers are offering.

... So....my question....the sizes of the new Tour Custom are all about one inch smaller depth than standard. Ironically, I think my original Power Tour Customs were 1 inch longer/deeper than standard, so these are closer to the smaller sizes I am digging these days. Do you think that these drums will hold their own in years to come?
Considering what Yamaha lines have left a mark since the late 70s, I'd say so.

Or, will they be looked upon as "Yeah, that was the affordable line from Yamaha that had weird sizes". Just curious. It wont really sway me one way or another.
There's certainly been quite a swing in drum depths in the past 40+ years, but think most people would classify these toms as Traditional depth (12x8, etc.)... and though a 10" wasn't really a norm until Gadd popularized it, 10x7 certainly fits that profile. Don't think you can go wrong there.

For 14-16" floor toms, a lot folks seem to have a strong preference for square, but for most ply sets the difference between them and 1-2" shorter are usually a subtle trade off between sustain, timbre and articulation.

And as far as the 22x14" vs 22x18" bass drum debate... 22x16" is often the perfect balance of tone and head rebound between the two. Same with 20x15".

So, no, it would be tough to consider these weird sizes.

I find it humorous, as well as a testament to the brand, that I'm looking at another, totally different Tour Custom set, 32 years later!!
Definitely. In all fairness, there are a lot of great manufacturers, but to paraphrase the old IBM adage, noone ever got fired for choosing Yamaha. ;-)

BTW, this picture of Larry Londin in Modern Drummer c. 1984 is what made me decide on my original Power Tour Customs in the Redwood finish. I could not afford the Recording Customs so got the next line down!
Very cool. Remember that issue.

Back